Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VF 22 any Dislikes

Saj

Smile

Hi all

Having one fitted next week, I know I have left it a bit late but any one who has fitted one of these units any dislikes, or likes to make me feel better.

Thank you

Saj
    STI V

[This message has been edited by Saj (edited 25 August 2000).]

Firefox

Not big enough.... need more air flow..... mmmmmm

J.

Macca

And they keep blowing up.... at least they are cheap

Firefox

Macca,

like a set of brake pads.. use it for a track day and and then get a new one... lol

J.

Saj

So you dont like them? So what would you suggest? without upgrading most other items.
    Macca how many have you blown up and why? the reason I ask this Macca as when I bought my car a lot of STI V were blowing up.

Saj
    STI V

quattro

In some places anthing capable of blowing up will do so. Out of sheer fun and unrealistic expectations.

Saj, not to worry. If properly implemented and engine mapped accordingly, your new turbo will be as good or bad as one you had before.

q.

Saj

Thank you B. I thought something along those lines.

J we always need more.

Saj

[This message has been edited by Saj (edited 26 August 2000).]

Jonathan

Red face

Saj

Why are you changing the Turbo on my old steed ?

Jonathan

Firefox

Saj,

A VF-22 will meet the needs of most people and their demands..as Mr Q has stated.

There are just a few nutters about who go beyond the design limits and constraints of said device.

J.

Saj

Wink

Jonathan as I said want a bit more getting used to what I have now so time for another mod.

J what would these nutters use then?

Saj

quattro

Saj,

Irrelevant. The beauty of those "nutters" is that whatever they use it will always end up in pieces. Hardware and associated materials therein are inconsequential!

So, I hope J. will not even try to tell you what they use because you will then want the same things and since (hopefully) you are not a nutter (yet?) you just stick nicely to VF22 and life will be wonderful.

ok?

take care
    q.

PS. J. - your witness!!

[This message has been edited by quattro (edited 26 August 2000).]

Mark.A

I think we owe a lot to the "nutters". These are the people that discover the safe limits for us.

Mark. Novice nutter.

quattro

No, not you as well, Mark????!!!!

q.

Macca

I have only been through 6 VF22's in 70000km, this is not bad when you consider the canning they get They are a bit like brake pads, a consumable item, just a little harder to change then pads... The VF22 is the best thing to get some instant HP. in most cases they will last longer than the standard TD04 pretend turbo's no other upgrades are needed other than a good boost controller.

Macca

Better make that 7 turbos...... a compressor blade let go and cut through the inlet pipe and imbedded itself in the bonnet lining!! one of my best ones so far I am now looking at getting a VF29 supposedly slightly better than a VF22

Shit Macca, what boost are you running?! It seems to me you must be pushing these poor things harder than they were ever designed to go. Why don't you bite the bullet and get a T3/4 Turbonetics with an external wastegate? Or a T88 "Thumper" so you can run 35psi and have no boost until 6000rpm - joking! Rigolis know how to do the plumbing and are Turbonetics agents. Might work out cheaper in the long run!

[This message has been edited by bdearnley (edited 04 September 2000).]

BPM

Saj,

Why not just go straight to the VF29?

Greg www.bpmsports.com

sunilp

Question

what is the difference between VF22 and VF29. Applying laymans logic, i would assume (not knowing any better) that the lower numbers would indicate a bigger turbo?, i.e. STIs start with a VF28 as standard and most go to a VF22. 22Bs have a VF23 which is one down from the VF22...etc

Can someone please enlighten us?

Sunil

22B Cleaner

Cool

The VF22 seems to be a fairly good budget blower... and should, as any turbo should, have a decent service life if it is run within it's safe efficiency limits and always provided with a good flow of nice clean high quality engine oil.

Quattro,

After prematurely losing my VF23 to a bad case of engine meltdown , I went for something a bit more, um, "special" than a VF22, does that make me a nutter?

(It may influence your judgement to know that I am not running it anywhere near it's 2.3bar limit... )

Moray
    ("Nutter" title under negotiation... )

Macca

Not wanting to freak anyone out but I am looking at a moderate sized IHI RX-6, but sanity may prevail an I may just get a VF29....

I think and have been told that the IHI product is far better than any of the Garret/turbonetics stuff, so i think I will stick with the old faithful brand and just move up a step..