Thread: what turbo does a MY99 UK have?

sam elassar

Question

HI
    i have been trying hard but i can't read the writing on the turbo. so does any one know? if i remember right the STI V has vf28 and this is bigger than the UK car. SO what do i have VF29!!!!!!. i have never heard of it ever been mentioned.

thanks

sam

quattro

Sam,

you should also have a VF28 in your car, but some say they have seen TD04s in UK MY99 cars as well. In any case IHI (VF) turbos are easy to recognise from Mitsubishi TDs.

q.

sam elassar

thanks q
    so what is the difference between the two?. and how can you tell which one you have?

light12

Question

hi all
    i have orderd a VF22 from BPM i would like to know if after changing the turbo
    on my my99 the heat shield will fit.
    eitan

Eitan, greetings again, yes the heatshield should fit, its a standard item used on all cars whether Jap spec or what ever.

Sam, I checked your turbo .. it is TD04.

TDO4 (Mitsubishi) turbo is the standard MY99 fit, I have seen one car with a VF28 ..

TDO4 is fitted to MY00 as well.

Bob

Alex

Question

Hi,

While we're on the subject - what is fitted to the MY98 UK?

Thanks,

Alex

sam elassar

thanks bob
    so this takes me to the question of which turbo is bigger and which flows more air? any body knows .
    sam

Lee

Bob, can you remember what was on mine ? I think you were surprised if I remember rightly..

then we said that there may be a difference on a UK MY99 compared to a euro-import MY99 ?

streetg

Question

Another while your on the subject of turbos,I have a MY95(UK)and was told that this has the biggest turbo fitted to the Impreza is this true?

The Map

IIRC, all UK cars from '97 should be fitted with the TD04L turbo. The VF series may have made it onto some non-WRX/STi cars, but on the whole, they were only fitted to Japanese cars.

A '95 car may have a TD05H, which is indeed a large unit (on par with VF22?) but this has some problems of its own (90 degree bend on entry for a start!).

The VF28 is a better unit than the TD04L, if only because it has a better bearing and will spin up more quickly.... both are fairly small units and will boost quite strong from about 2000 RPM. [cf TD05H which doesn't make any sensible boost until 3500RPM].

Other types which have been used are the VF23 and VF24.... both more laggy than the 28 as a result, but both will flow more air at the top end.

Most of these are readily interchangeable, with the notable exception of the TD05H (and perhaps a variant of the 04) which have this 90 degree bend on the compressor housing... fitting a (say) VF22 to an 05 equipped car is a bit of a pain, requires some reworking of the fuel rails, and relocation of the power steering pump if you want a straight intake path....

All of this from (volatile) memory, so take with a pich of salt

Cheers,

Pat.

Rannoch

I can confirm that my VF 28 gives some quite remarkable boost figures very low down

quattro

David,

you would be surprised to see what a VF22 could do on your (and my, of course!) car. I have been succesful in obtaining some rare pieces of paper which say that a well mapped ecu can overcome almost all(possibly all?) the implications of the increased lag and some other modes of behaviours associated to more air at less (or even same) boost.

Can't say much more, otherwise some members will call it cheap PR.

The game continues.

regards
    q.

The Map

Q,

while you are no doubt right, that with careful mapping the VF22 can be quite impressive even low down, perhaps it would be better to compare like with like? Ie VF22 on "optimal" map vs VF28 on "optimal" map... I suspect that the VF28 will still spin up quicker if only due to lower inertia.

Now if only it were easy to fit one to a car with a TD05H....

Cheers,

Pat.

sam elassar

Unhappy

i have checked the turbo with the aid of dental mirror and it is a TD04L for sure. i couldn't believe that i had Mitsu parts in my scoob. will i benifit from replacing it with a VF28, OR even a VF22 or is this pushing it for a UK CAR.???.
    i think i have reached the limits of tuning a my99 engine.

The Map

Sam,

VF28 should be possible, and "sensible". VF22 is perhaps that somewhat of an overkill, you may want to do some internal mods before considering one....

As for the 28, this is a newer design than the TD04L (IIRC) and should have a ball / roller rather than sleve bearing.. should spin up quicker than the 04; whether it's worth the cash, I don't really know. You could give Turbo Dynamics a call and ask how much for a VF28 in exchange for a good TD04L......

Cheers,

Pat.

light12

hi sam.
    hopefuly next week i will have a vf22 on my
    my99 i intend to boost to 1.2 bar as i have with my oem turbo . i will email you .