Thread: Disabling Passenger Airbag

22B Member AKA: Jolly Green Monster Simon_'s Avatar

Question

Need to disable the front passenger airbag in the wifes Vauxhall Corsa..

Assuming remove glove box locate electrical plug on airbag assembly mounted in underside of dash and disconnect?

Assuming then the light will be on for the passenger airbag on the dash as a reminder?

Simon

22B Junkie

Easy...

22B Junkie

oh.. Ill tell you then..

Drive the car at around 40mph.. then hold down the hazard switch for 15 seconds..

You are pulling my leg?

Hold the hazard light switch pushed in rather than lights flashing?

I presume doing it again will enable it?

Many thanks
    Simon [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Eat, sleep, race, repeat!
    www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

22B Junkie

yeah.. and whilst your driving along holding it in wondering if im pulling your leg.. you'll crash into a lampost on the left hand side (as we drive on the left) because you'll be looking at anything but the road.. and about 40mph should be just enough to pop the airbag out

Your welcome.

David

Wife tried that on the previous Corsa and neither bag went off.. lol might need to try it at 90mph..

Okay any serious suggestions?

Simon

Why you wanna disable? Baby?
    I know I'm a square...but that could have serious insurance implications should you have an accident. We looked into doing it to the Forester, then abandoned the idea.
    C

22B Cleaner

Find the relevant G sensor and hit it with a hammer in the appropriate direction. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by wBanker:
    Why you wanna disable? Baby?
    I know I'm a square...but that could have serious insurance implications should you have an accident. We looked into doing it to the Forester, then abandoned the idea.
    C
    Daughter is nearly 4 and about to out grow her car seat so will go to a booster seat which requires shoulder and lap belt, my wife does some child minding which means she has to collect a 5year old and a 4 year old both in booster seats..
    Corsa only has two shoulder belts and middle is a lap belt so cannot be used with the booster seat.

Only other option is to look at a seat / booster for 4+ which has it's own harness and can go on just a lap belt safely.

Insurance would only be worried if there was a personal injury claim or someone died I presume.
    We tend not to use the front seat of the car..
    Daughters seat in rear near side and driver or if there is a passenger then they go in the back next to my daughter (she demands it [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
    If we go out with a full car load other than when the wife does the child minding then we take the Scoob as it has more room although no passenger air bag. Other alternative is for the wife to drive the scoob with three kids in [img]smile.gif[/img]

Simon

[ 06. April 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Simon. ]

Richard Askew

Insurance quotes can be cheaper when airbags are removed as the cost of repair in a minor shunt are lower. I see what you're saying Chuck but they're "supplimentary" (sp) restraint systems after all

Rich I found that the insurance company was focusing on the personal claim (as Simon mentioned)..when the insurer works out the premium they factor in the cars standard equipment. For me to go and intentionally disable a safety feature seemed to make them nervous. If the reason I wanted to do it was so I could have my child in the front seat...well that didn't make them any more willing to oblige....LOL
    Rgds
    Chuck

Richard Askew

I see... each side of the coin has the plus and negatives, I've thought about disabling the passenger side airbag in the Impreza in order to fit a carbon blanking cover to mount a terratrip or brantz meter..

Do I just unplug the thing then?!

Simon

Richard Askew

If you do that for god's sake wear goggles

22B Junkie
    "I am just going outside and may be some time"

Originally posted by Simon.:
    Disconnect the Battery first!

Airbag warning light will probably come on and disable any other airbags...if it's anything like a scoob I'm told that the ECU refuses to allow the engine to start

Originally posted by Slooby:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Simon.:
    Disconnect the Battery first!

Airbag warning light will probably come on and disable any other airbags...if it's anything like a scoob I'm told that the ECU refuses to allow the engine to start
    </font>[/QUOTE]I was planning to disconnect battery and perhaps over night in case it retains enough current to fire it in case the battery files during the accident.
    That is a bit harsh!

Simon

disabled it a couple of weeks back.. removed glove box and disconnected the plug to the air bag.. I removed the battery connection beforehand and gave it a while to allow the capacitors to disipate all the power etc.

light is on the dash but otherwise (obviously) no problems.. just hope the drivers side will still work if called for.

Simon