View Full Version : Oh Dear, Just blown my Engine, i think

21st July 2000, 18:18
Not a good week really,

Yesterday just coughed up 500 pounds to fix aircon, remove dents , service etc. today, the Engine decides it's had enough.

Symptoms..... Sounded like wind buffering against a loose body part to start with, this slowly grew into a metalic noise under load. Eventually, the engine started to 'miss' and i knew it was goodnight.

The engine idles pretty much ok but blipping the throttle causing a nasty graty metalic noise....... the garage are putting their money on the big end failing at the moment.

Anders, does this all sound familiar to you?


http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif poorer any day now!

21st July 2000, 20:49
Hmmmmm.....sorry Neil. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif
CK1 has just gone in for another new box after the dealer fitted the last new one incorrectly! That'll be the third in as many months.
When my big-end went though, the car certainly didn't idle OK.


21st July 2000, 23:12
Whan my engine went at Wroughton I could not hear it. Pete Croney was able to pick up the faint sound of det.

By the time we had limped into the car park it sounded like a bag of bolts. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/mad.gif

It would idle but with a pronounced rattle. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif

22nd July 2000, 13:05
I shall be finding out what's up with it soon but i suspect it's exactly what happened to yours Anders....

If so then it'll be decision time.

Sell the car cheap and put money down for a MY01 or cough up for a rebuild......

MY01 looks the better bet somehow.....maybe!


[This message has been edited by NeilR (edited 22 July 2000).]

23rd July 2000, 02:35
In my opinion you will be better off rebuilding the engine with someone reputable.

You don't have to go mad with uprated parts!
However that does give you the choice of squeezing a bit more power out safely! http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Then you can keep it for fun stuff and save up for the P3 in 2 years time http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/wink.gif

23rd July 2000, 15:39
The Engine would be built by my friendly IM dealer. Getting parts may fall down to me though.

too many options to make a decision just yet.

23rd July 2000, 20:12

Sorry to hear the news. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif

Are you going to try and find the root cause of the problem... ?


24th July 2000, 11:21
Hi Moray,

Long time no speak!

He He, i know where you are coming from! Yes Yes, im sure we'll find out whether the Phase 1 was the ultimate reason.

Id be gutted having to get rid of B12 SUB as she's been brilliant in all departments. I have the option to rebuild or get a MY01 dependant on cost. At the moment im more for an MY01 (6 speed box!), not sure i trust a rebuild after the experiences others have had with so called experts.

If i do rebuild, i shall alter the diff ratio's to 21.8 / 1000RPM just to take off some of the strain from the engine, same as your RA.

Decisions decisions.... NeilR

24th July 2000, 13:03

Let me know if I can help with the rebuild/parts.. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/smile.gif

Reputable ? ha.. dont make me laugh... http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/wink.gif


24th July 2000, 13:45

Prices so far for bits........

STi short eng.+Cosworth Pistons = 2385 + VAT
STi Engine Gasket set = 296.60 +VAT
Oil Pump = 104.36 +VAT

======== 2785.96 + VAT

Possible Extra's

Mucho stonger conrods ??? = 193.75+VAT (each)

Ive calc'd a total price inc labour for everything to be about 4500 - 5000

Am awaiting mid week to find out if there is and damage to the heads etc.

http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif

If anyone can source bits for less then im all ears.


24th July 2000, 14:24
Just been offered from the best source possible a complete very low mileage Version IV TypeR engine for 3k.

I accepted.

Advice on how this engine would cope with the current ECU with Phase 1 etc needed!


Bob Rawle
24th July 2000, 15:25
Neil, the Ph1 should have been set up to suit the car/engine it was mapped with, it may not suit the new one at all and you should/must get it remapped to suit urgently, I would suggest you drive the car on the other engines ecu(assuming you have it)and use 97 plus booster until its sorted.

I remember an experience where two identical cars were fitted with a PH 1 directly following each other, the settings from the first were used on the second and it knocked like mad at the outset until it was adjusted.


24th July 2000, 16:38
No suprise there then bob.

I shall be loaned an STi IV ecu for a while so that's that bit sorted. However......

It looks like i'll be using my original VF22 Turbo.... This shouldn't be a problem really should it??

I suppose i can obtain the orignal IV Turbo as well but the supplier want to keep it for his RA.... (big clue)


24th July 2000, 16:55
Are the sockets on the V3 and V4 ECU's the same?


Ian Cook
24th July 2000, 18:50
Neil, talk to someone with a Ver 4 that has a link ecu fitted, sure they can do you a good deal on their original one!!! http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/wink.gif

I can think of one who has replied already http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/wink.gif LOL

24th July 2000, 21:05

I have a standard STI III ecu with a successful phase-one-ectomy... so if you need to borrow an STI III ecu, give me a call. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/smile.gif


24th July 2000, 23:55
If all else fails you can borrow an STI4 typeR 22B variant ECU. (Might run a bit rich http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/eek.gif )

Us Uxbridge victims need to stick together! http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/mad.gif

25th July 2000, 11:30
IIRC, there is no difference between the Version 3 and Version 4 ECU connectors, they are both 3 plug jobs unlike the Version 2 which is 4 plug. There are differences to the plugs on Version 5/6 because of the Phase II engine..... speaking of which, why not stuff a Phase II STi engine in there and get it mapped by Bob? Should be able to make better torque than Phase I because it's more tolerant of ignition advance.... just a thought.



25th July 2000, 11:32
Thanks for all the offers guys.

For the record, i don't know the cause of the engine failure and now may never know. I shall keep the old engine though as im sure the block and heads will find a loving home.

As an experiment, I took my hired W'reg 1.3 fiesta down the same roads ive been taking my STi recently and bottled it when my faith in the Fiestas handling and brakes started to vanish. The difference in speed between the Fiesta and Impreza at this point in the road was nearly 45mph and i lifted in the Impreza was not down to lack of faith but because of the speed i was travelling.

These cars are truly awesome http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/smile.gif

Out of interest, for anyone toying with the idea of selling their V4 ECU, feel free to send a price to neilr_ndr@hotmail.com


Bob Rawle
25th July 2000, 13:30
Neil, if you had a VF22 on your car then stick with it as the version 4 turbo is much smaller.


25th July 2000, 16:15

I have a spare Version 4 ECU you can borrow.

The Ver IV turbo is a VF-24...

I thought your turbo would have been a vf-23..... but if you say its a 22 I believe you.. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/smile.gif

The larger turbo should be ok.. but I wouldnt want to run the stock ecu for too long...

I could have beat those prices.. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/wink.gif

Mail me about the ECU if you want.


25th July 2000, 17:02

I was very tempted by the complete engine solution for several reasons. The three main reasons are
1) It's already built therefore no build costs or worry that it's not bolted together properly
2) I get to keep the old engine. I think a closed deck block etc is worth something to someone.
3) My car could be off the road for less than a fortnight.

My existing Turbo off my Version III TypeR is the VF22, im 95% certain. However im 5% uncertain now you question it.

Still, thanks for the offer of the ECU. Im looking into continuing the use of my III ecu at the moment but........

Now then! GGR quoted me 300 and something squid for the diff cogs to transform my car from the ultra low ratios to the 21.8mph/1000 of the 4dr sti/wrx. If you know of a set going cheap then yes, i would be interested to hear from you.

Thanks for your help and concerns guys, really appriciated http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/biggrin.gif


26th July 2000, 11:30

As standard, my STI III had a VF23... not that I'm pushing for 10% doubt here, you understand! http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/wink.gif http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/smile.gif

The bearings failed after my engine had to be rebuilt because someone at PE failed to secure a hose they had removed to fit a boost gauge. The guys who supplied my new turbo are sure the failure was the result of the engine failure (bits of engine sitting in the oil as it was dragged through the turbo bearings). PE had "inspected" the turbo during the rebuild and proclaimed it as "okay". http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Apparently, in order to inspect a turbo properly, you need to put it onto a balancing rig, and I suspect this didn't happen in this case. http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/frown.gif

Anyways... I would consider having the turbo from your failed motor inspected, especially if there is any evidence of oil contamination.


26th July 2000, 13:15
OK, I concede defeat. VF23 it is then. 100% backdown. It's well know that i have a bad......... something or other http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/wink.gif

I shall take your advice Moray and get the turbo inspected for oil contamination.