PDA

View Full Version : 1 piece front end GC8

PS-06
1st December 2013, 09:46
Hi all,

Who's intrested in a 1 piece front end for your GC8.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z387/scoobyfreak/Pro%20Drag%20Subaru%20build/1piecefrontend_zpsceb79c8d.jpg (http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/scoobyfreak/media/Pro%20Drag%20Subaru%20build/1piecefrontend_zpsceb79c8d.jpg.html)

Why? what are the benefits:

- Super lightweight
- Strong at high speed
- Quick and easy acces to your engine on track/pits area
- Lots of room to walk arround your engine when working on your car
-

With 5 or more it will be intressting to make a mold and the products!!

Let me know what you think and get your names down!!

1 Frank

spd(john)
1st December 2013, 14:07
Hi Frank,

Would be interested in some more info, I currently run with 22B style front wings, can you tell me what the width would be also what the length from the center of the windscreen to front is.

John

PS-06
1st December 2013, 16:22
Hi John,

First of, the picture is just an example, it's from a Honda! Because there is not 1 atm for Subaru.
My idea is to (have 1) build for a standard GC8 type scoob. So it will be standard width and more or less standard length.

Simon_
1st December 2013, 16:52
I have considered similar. Have interest not enough to go on definite list yet.

Matt R
1st December 2013, 17:04
I know Darren at ABW was considering something like this Frank. Might be worth dropping him a line

PS-06
1st December 2013, 17:59
Looks like there are more intrested than I had thought, you defenatly need one Simon ;)
AWB make some fine products indeed Matt, will drop him a message!

Simon_
1st December 2013, 18:02
I wondered if there might be issues with sprint rules but not had time to check.

PS-06
1st December 2013, 19:38
There are absolutly no issues with drag racing rules, but sprint rules? Why should it be an issue?

Simon_
1st December 2013, 19:53
Because I might sprint the car at some point

PS-06
1st December 2013, 20:11
Nah I don't mean you, I mean should the ones who make them rules have any problems with a 1 piece front end!

Simon_
1st December 2013, 20:26
I don't know lol, not had time to go through the rules to check

MAD Hammer
1st December 2013, 21:07
Liking that idea !

PS-06
1st December 2013, 21:18
Ok, lets check and hop on in this goupsbuy ;)

I know you would Clive !!

speedflash
2nd December 2013, 20:59
Ok, lets check and hop on in this goupsbuy ;)

I know you would Clive !!

I would be interested in one. Would you be putting vents in to allow hot air to escape.

PS-06
2nd December 2013, 21:44
I would be interested in one. Would you be putting vents in to allow hot air to escape.

The looks will be or less OEM so yes you could fit your OEM vents back in there.

mattybr5
2nd December 2013, 22:20
Nice thinking frank iv got a contact who does these for a living he does alot of drag cars he can even stretch the front end for thoses needing more room up front

but my worry is for 95% of people how useful this will do thoses who have road cars or track cars how hard is this going to be to take off each time just to peek under the bonnet to check anything quickly and unless you have the space to remove it and put it safely in the pit lane or the cramped circuit area of most sprints and you have no chance on the road specially if your on your Todd how you gonna remove it ??

PS-06
2nd December 2013, 22:41
Thnx Matt, you have a fair point there. Didn't see it like that which is offcourse, dragcar mind working here only LOL
Could you bring me in contact with your contact?

mattybr5
2nd December 2013, 22:56
Il have a word with him frank see if he is interested and maybe get him to come on and show some previous work il get in touch with him soon as I know he busy il let you know what he says but I'm sure he be up for it I almost had my blobeye done by him some time ago but practically on track/road car wasnt going to be any good but drag like yours would be awesome

PS-06
3rd December 2013, 09:02
Thnx buddy, mucho appriciated.

mattybr5
3rd December 2013, 13:35
ok for thoses interested iv spoken to my guy and for a price idea these a fair bit involved which would inc him needing a panelled car to prep this for the mould then take a mould from this then on to making the shell prices quoted are

prep and mould making 2000 one off cost

each front clip from the mould would be 850 from there on

turn around time roughly 3weeks from start to finish

PS-06
3rd December 2013, 19:51
Ok Matt, that was/is quick!

Couple of questions:

I've got some ideas on the design and some wishes, is this possible to discus. Or will it be one mold and there fore one and the same product?
Panelled car is something which car be arranged, maybe someone who's living close to your buddy?
Who's paying for the making of the mold? If your buddy is making the mold than he will be the owner of the mold and there for owner of all products?

On the other hand:

Price for the product is not something I'm shocked about!
And super quick turn arround!

Simon_
3rd December 2013, 19:59
Nice thinking frank iv got a contact who does these for a living he does alot of drag cars he can even stretch the front end for thoses needing more room up front

but my worry is for 95% of people how useful this will do thoses who have road cars or track cars how hard is this going to be to take off each time just to peek under the bonnet to check anything quickly and unless you have the space to remove it and put it safely in the pit lane or the cramped circuit area of most sprints and you have no chance on the road specially if your on your Todd how you gonna remove it ??

I am looking at putting hinges back on my bonnet for that reason as its a ball ache to lift bonnet off to check it and find myself going "its fine I am sure" rather than lifting bonnet and checking for leaks etc..

mattybr5
3rd December 2013, 22:52
Hi frank I had a good chat and catch up with him today he pretty busy but this is what he does for his job so turn around times are low because he has everything there and has done it more times and he can remember once the mould is made he can turn one out a day he says with a over night curing time

The mould who ever pays for the mould it's there mould so can commission more clips to be made if they wish the design could be what you could come up with but each design is one mould so if you wanted to change say from standard body to wide body then that would be 2 moulds at the 2k cost but the amount of products would be pretty much unlimited from the mould

As for the car for a mould you gotta be happy with what ever extras you want say any vents added or removed for say this is before he do the prep work before the mould this is then all gaps and lines filled for the 1 peice look and the final mould to be taken

Hope this answers most your questions I do think it be a awesome product to get out costs I was expecting abit more each item but never though about prep and mould costs to be factored in but all makes sense iv had a few small carbon fibre vents made and mould taken to re make them and that was 80 just for the small mould so something g this size it's gonna be a fair cost

Simon I don't blame you mate I had removal bonnet on my Renault 5 some years back what a nightmare specially as they blow up every mile it was off more than it was on:)

PS-06
4th December 2013, 20:17
Evening Matt, sounds good. There's gonna be one mold unless someone else thinks he needs a modification on the actual product.

But now onto the more difficult stuff, we need more enthousiasts who want a 1 piece front end!!

So who's in for one or two ;)

1: Frank
2:
3:
4:
5:

PS-06
8th December 2013, 11:46
Get ya christmas orders in guys!! Who's in?