PDA

View Full Version : STi3/4 Solid valves

Simon_
15th February 2006, 12:14
Having some solid valves made for my heads..

The more I have made the cheaper they are..
one set is 14 a valve.

Just wondered if anyone else would like a set?

Not interested in making money selling them and have no interest in doing so, just want to reduce what it is costing me.

If anyone is interested I will get the exact spec of the material they are being made from. All i know is it is the same as what is running in a 550+bhp volvo engine which was running silly lean AFR's before I mapped it to sensible ones (it was hitting over 1100C EGT, now 850C.. no valve failures) and an Aston Martin race engine.

Thanks
Simon

John Stevenson
15th February 2006, 19:33
might be interested

Dyney
15th February 2006, 19:44
Mmmmmm smile.gif

Specs and prices v quantity?

Paul@Zen
15th February 2006, 21:08
I will also have some supertech ones being made, with inconel exhaust. If the price is right on these via simon, I may not bother with the inlet valves.

Simon_
15th February 2006, 23:57
I'll get onto them and check.. but hopefully going down from 14 each etc..

How many valves would you want Paul?

Potentionally looking at 3sets plus however many Paul wants..

Unlikely to be until early next week though as having a couple of days off and having along family weekend smile.gif

Simon

Paul@Zen
16th February 2006, 09:46
Well, I am going to get 20 sets of the inconel exh made!

Dan Lewis
16th February 2006, 09:59
Is there any diffenrence in the actual valve design/size between the phase 1-2 heads?

Paul@Zen
16th February 2006, 10:09
yes, the phase 2 valves are slightly shorter

DuncanG
16th February 2006, 10:25
I'm interested in a full set for my sti-3 heads.

I've used nimonic valves in the past how does that compare with stainless or inconel?

Paul@Zen
16th February 2006, 11:19
Inconel and Nimonic are both trade names of slightly different Nickel based alloys. The RCMS valves are Nimonic 80a and the supertech are Inconel 751, both have almost identical strengths at elevated temps. I think the main difference is corrosion resistance for certain compounds, I'm not sure how important they are for petrol engines.

paul

Andrew Carr
16th February 2006, 11:24
I'm interest in a full set also, but not sure what the advantage inconel has over stainless around the 450bhp mark?

What's the likely cost difference between s/s and inconel?

Andrew...

Paul@Zen
16th February 2006, 11:36
I don't want to walk all over what Simon is doing here. Let me get my stuff underway and I will come up with the pricing.

Paul

David_Wallis
16th February 2006, 13:14
I 'may' be interested too.

David_Wallis
16th February 2006, 13:15
just in inlets though simon..

Simon_
16th February 2006, 23:07
Oh my god!

Simon_
20th February 2006, 10:15
will try and get prices and specs.. still shocked at the number of people interested.

Simon

Simon_
20th February 2006, 14:01
Also Many thanks to Mikee whom just put a pair of valves in the post so I can copy them smile.gif

Simon

Simon_
22nd February 2006, 15:36
template valves dropped off this morning before the workshop opened.. will call in later today to check they found them and that it is possible to do a group buy on them etc..

Simon

Simon_
22nd February 2006, 22:32
called in this evening..

sounds like he would rather do my valves and me run the engine before committing to doing so many etc..
Which is good in one way that he wants to make sure they are perfect.. but not good in that he has me worried now.. lol and I won't get them cheaper..

This is the workshop owner, not the machine shop doing the valves.. the machinest might disagree.

There is confidence in the valves as they have been run in many race engines etc but just not in a Scoob engine yet.

I will update with how it goes.. it sounds like it won't be long before they are running in my car anyway.

Simon

Paul@Zen
23rd February 2006, 19:42
Welcome to the test pilot club.

Good luck...

Simon_
24th February 2006, 09:46
lol.. they are running in serveral other engines.. one with a Garret GT40.. although AFR is 11.5:1 on pump fuel.. just not a Scoob engine.. yet..

Will post pics as soon as I get them.

Simon

Paul@Zen
24th February 2006, 18:42
Get used to the following phrase:

"but why doesn't in work on a scoob engine???"

just poking fun, hope they are as good as they sound. I now have bucketloads of valve stuff for people interested in replacing the whole kit and caboodle.

Paul

Fuzz
24th February 2006, 18:57
DH22 cams ?? :D

Simon_
24th February 2006, 22:22
Originally posted by Pavlo:
Get used to the following phrase:

"but why doesn't in work on a scoob engine???"

just poking fun, hope they are as good as they sound. I now have bucketloads of valve stuff for people interested in replacing the whole kit and caboodle.

Paul thinking about it when I first looked at the car on the old turbo (before I mapped it) it was running EGT of over 1000c.. it sees a lot of track use too so adding some confidence in them.

lol

Typical you would have now! I should have my heads back with valves in next week anyway.

Simon

Paul@Zen
25th February 2006, 18:23
I must keep forgetting to press the "add reply" button!

I can do v4 heads if you want to buy all the springs and retainers etc. But it's using v5 vavles with different shims etc. If you want drop in v4 valves I am still weeks away from a solution.

Slooby
25th February 2006, 21:13
Forgive my ignorance here, but IIRC phase 2 valves have longer stems than phase 1.5...with the complete phase 2 valve train fitted in a phase 1/1.5 casting will phase 1/1.5 cams still work with them, are the base circles the same?

Paul@Zen
26th February 2006, 13:09
phase 1.5 valves are the longer ones.

Slooby
26th February 2006, 15:21
Ah...

Simon_
27th February 2006, 10:16
I noticed that supertech do valves what were 1.2mm shorter than phase 1.5.. presume shimming could be done to allow them to work perfectly..
although more chance of losing a shim but with phase 1.5 valve train...

Paul@Zen
27th February 2006, 11:25
Unless Simon, someone had designed some retainers to take the correct thickness shims.

Paul

Simon_
27th February 2006, 11:39
I see.. expect they could be machined up.. but sounds like more risk and hassle then.

Paul@Zen
27th February 2006, 11:47
Originally posted by Pavlo:
I must keep forgetting to press the "add reply" button!

I can do v4 heads if you want to buy all the springs and retainers etc. But it's using v5 vavles with different shims etc. If you want drop in v4 valves I am still weeks away from a solution.

Simon_
27th February 2006, 11:50
lol

Simon_
2nd March 2006, 11:24
Slight delay in getting the heads finished.. need to get a used head gasket or the block to them so they can open the head chamber to match the bore correctly, reluctant to do it to bore measurement..

Simon

Simon_
13th March 2006, 20:20
more slightly delay.. lol

My shims have gone missing.. not sure if I lost them (probably) or what.. so trying to source some more.. pain in the bum as need ideally a set of shims to be able to measure the clearances and then order, or him to make the correct size ones..

Anyone stock them? Paul? YHPM.

Simon

Slooby
14th March 2006, 07:35
I have 16 Sti 4 shims sitting in my garage, if they're any use to you Simon you're welcome to borrow them to do your measuring.

Simon_
14th March 2006, 09:18
Originally posted by Slooby:
I have 16 Sti 4 shims sitting in my garage, if they're any use to you Simon you're welcome to borrow them to do your measuring. Yes Yes Yes Yes

Paul has also kindly offered but if you are able to post these to me Tim that would be superb..
smile.gif

You working today Tim?

Thanks
Simon

John Stevenson
14th March 2006, 11:26
Same question as Simon here, who stocks these ?

thanks ---john---

Dave
20th March 2006, 11:39
Simon YHPM

Simon_
20th March 2006, 11:52
Originally posted by Dave:
Simon YHPM nothing this end?

Dave
20th March 2006, 12:19
Try again YHPM

Simon_
29th March 2006, 22:28
Heads are now complete.. should have them in my hands next week and will post pictures of the valves.. although they will obviously be in situe so won't show a great deal.. but will then be bolted to my block and hopefully engine fitted next month..

Simon ;)

Simon_
19th April 2006, 09:38
When I was told they were complete.. that wasn't fully true! think he meant he has everything to do them.. regardless he got a earful.

Been delayed trying to get them shot blasted to make the chambers look pretty.. just got off the phone and told him to not bother making them look pretty.. "function" the main priority.. get on with building the damn things..

Paul,

If I need some shims of the right size then I'll give you a call.. pretty please.

Many thanks
Simon

Simon_
20th April 2006, 10:54
Heads are very nearly complete.. one collet missing.. thanks to Tim and Paul who assure me they are the same on the STi as the UK and therefore i have a number of UK ones at home I believe.. so hopefully shouldn't be an issue.. will drop one in tomorrow morning and hopefully collect the heads tomorrow afternoon.

Simon

Simon_
20th April 2006, 14:36
Thanks to Subaru at Robertsbridge for splitting a gasket set to give me a pair of collets.. dropped them in.. heads will be finished this afternoon.. will collect them tomorrow.. valves and porting looks very very good.. all I have to do now if find out a way of paying for them!!! :eek:

Another thanks to Tim and Paul for being correct.. uk collets are the same smile.gif

Simon

Slooby
20th April 2006, 22:40
Glad we could help ;)

NB; as of the 2nd May I'll be unable to help in such matters during weekday working hours...I don't think I'll be allowed to have my mobile phone on site :(

Simon_
21st April 2006, 23:43
Not that you can see much
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yg6rgd&outx=600&quality=70

Simon :D

Paul@Zen
22nd April 2006, 19:15
Get all that carbon shit out and you might just be able to add a degree or two of ignition timing tongue.gif

Simon_
22nd April 2006, 23:06
lol.. the picture makes it look worse than it is but they had a clean up this evening..
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=ygul9j&outx=600&quality=70 and I removed the sharp edge as a small attempt to blend out to the larger bore..

Engine now built! ;) well majoritivly.
http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=ygul9x&outx=600&quality=70

Simon

[ 23. April 2006, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Simon_ ]

jim.....
23rd April 2006, 07:27
What'e the best thing to clean the gasket faces up, fine wet and dry as on my heads and block you can see the shadow of the old gaskets and just want it all clean before starting.

Slooby
23rd April 2006, 09:13
You can do it with emery paper Jim, but you need to attach it to a large enough surface ground flat plate to ensure your keep the head surface perfectly flat

Slooby
23rd April 2006, 09:14
Looking good Simon...

Everyone is finishing long before me...as usual, mind you I keep having bright ideas :rolleyes:

David_Wallis
23rd April 2006, 12:51
oil stone smile.gif

Simon_
23rd April 2006, 14:24
Check the torque and cams in tonight if I get time..

Simon_
19th May 2006, 10:24
As these valves are now up and running in my own engine I think it worth considering a group buy on the valves again now, not that I would gain the cheap set I wanted but don't see that this should stop others benefiting

Perhaps it is too late for many people?

Anyone interested please shout now, and I'll speak to the man that can.

Thanks
Simon

Steven
19th May 2006, 11:50
Would suggest you test them first Simon, for a little longer period?

Dyney
19th May 2006, 13:35
If they have survived Simon's mapping they must be good tongue.gif

Need costs ;)

Simon_
19th May 2006, 22:06
Originally posted by Steven:
Would suggest you test them first Simon, for a little longer period? fair point.. 350miles and 2.17bar so far ;)

yes the 2.17bar was a vac line coming off.. lol

Simon

Simon_
19th May 2006, 22:10
Originally posted by Dyney:
If they have survived Simon's mapping they must be good tongue.gif

Need costs ;) oi you cheeky fook!

Will have to check but expect around 14 a valve..
Depends on numbers too I believe

Simon

Dave
26th May 2006, 15:28
Simon I'm interested in a set of valves put my name down please