PDA

View Full Version : light weight battery

mikeesingh
10th August 2005, 19:04
going to ordering battery from here

http://www.motorsportsuperstore.com/content/productviews/productdetail.asp?pc=HAWKODSY

am looking at the pc680, drycell battery which weights 6.7kg and is 680amps, £88 inc vat and all other bits needed to fit it..

will this be ok in my car?
or can anyone recommend a better one?

been offered 5% discount if i have 3 or more.
anyone else intrest in one, have 2 other people intrested, might be able to get more discount for more.

thanks

Andy.F
10th August 2005, 20:22
DMS Part Number K750-K236 Red Top 15 M6 male 5.0kg 550A

http://www.dmstech.co.uk/varleyredtop.htm

Worth considering smile.gif

stevieturbo
10th August 2005, 21:20
A mate bought a red top 20 for his Nissan 200sx, required due to fitting an FMIC kit.

Very small battery. Out of curiosity, I tried it on my Granada. New, as it was opened from the box it started my car first time.
I dont know how long it would crank a non-starting engine for, but starting mine seemed effortless.

It did take 2-3 turns of the key too, as cold start etc isnt perfect.

I was well impressed. I still stuck with my massive heavy one though. May consider a lightweight when I have some free cash.

Bob D
10th August 2005, 22:16
Andy: do you know the price of the Red Top one?

Bob

Andy.F
10th August 2005, 22:24
IIRC just under £100 from Demon Tweeks, possibly cheaper elsewhere.

Andy

stevieturbo
10th August 2005, 22:44
I think mate pad about £90 from Apex performance. They do some of the stuff for Nissans at very good prices.
Flat postage charge of £11 makes it even better for us in NI.

drb5=Dave McD
11th August 2005, 06:43
I bought one that was for a Micra. True i'm not running loads of ICE or air con or anything, but it's been fine.

mikeesingh
11th August 2005, 07:24
thanks, will have a look to see if i can find the red top ones cheaper

mikeesingh
11th August 2005, 14:05
the red top 15 only has 400A cranking current
and best price with 15% discount was £99 inc vat

the odyssey pc680 has 680A cranking current
and am about to order 8 from distributor at about £72 inc vat and delivery

have 1 or 2 spare if anybody wants one

mikee

Bob D
11th August 2005, 14:30
Bargain.

Thanks for going to the trouble of sorting it. smile.gif

Adamantium
12th August 2005, 09:01
Mikee, I'll have one.

Adamantium
15th August 2005, 14:05
ok, I have missed out on this one.

If there are 3 other people who want one of these too, please get in touch and I will arrange to sort us all out at the same price as mikee paid of £72 delivered.

Race Altered
20th August 2005, 13:02
Adam YHPM

Race Altered
20th August 2005, 13:02

Adamantium
22nd August 2005, 08:43
ok, I have 2 people and me interested in this.

I need one further person.

Someone asked me whether I am including postage in the price, but from what I gather, they are sent individually from the supplier, ie. it is nothing to do with me.

will have to check with mikee on that as the supplier haven't picked up the phone yet!

Adamantium
22nd August 2005, 10:28
I get the impression that delivery is to just oen address, could those who are interested indicate below and I will see what can happen abuot arranging subsequent delivery/collection.

Also, if a mod is reading this, can they possibly move it to the group buy forum?

thanks.

Neil.
22nd August 2005, 17:53
I will take the last one :D

Gerry H
23rd August 2005, 06:00
Any chance of an extra one?

Adamantium
23rd August 2005, 09:02
ok

Adam X 2 - London
Neil
Gerry - Bedford
Wuz - Aberdeen

mikee has said he will handle this and the further shipping and can take payment via paypal etc.

Adamantium
23rd August 2005, 09:05
Adam X 2 - London - same address - save on delivery?
Neil
Gerry - Bedford
Wuz - Aberdeen
STI RA - NI

Price will be £78 delivered to individual addresses all in.

if those above are interested please PM mikee singh

Race Altered
23rd August 2005, 12:25
Originally posted by Adam M:
Neil
Gerry - Bedford
Wuz - Aberdeen
STI RA - NI

Price will be £78 delivered to individual addresses all in.

if those above are interested please PM mikee singh PM sent smile.gif

Neil.
23rd August 2005, 18:46
Neil - London
Gerry - Bedford
Wuz - Aberdeen
STI RA - NI

Andy McCord
26th August 2005, 06:52
Do these fit under the standard subaru battery cradle correctly or do they require modification?

mikeesingh
26th August 2005, 07:18
andy, ive just wedged a small Piece of wood under mine for time being.

Andy McCord
26th August 2005, 07:36
width wise they look a lot narrower, what do you plan to do long term Mikee

mikeesingh
26th August 2005, 08:28
ive mounted mine diagonally and is secure, might make a new bracket at a later date.
will try and get photo on weekend

Bob D
26th August 2005, 12:15
I did the same with mine. Fitting it diagonally is more to do with the length of the terminal wire.

I think it may well work without the wood as it looked like there woud be enough thread. I just ran out of patience in the end.

Was thinking a snap strap may hold it into place and you could do away with the brackets?

Bob

Simon_
4th October 2005, 22:58
Thanks for organising the group buy btw Mikee

http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=y9jivr&outx=600&quality=70

Still find it difficult to believe such a small battery will function as the original but it does!

Even lived up to the radio on for an hour the other day
smile.gif

Simon

Andy McCord
5th October 2005, 06:53
Christ thats motorbike size :eek:
good old tiewraps to the rescue simon :D

mikeesingh
5th October 2005, 07:57
tweenirob is ordering some if anyone is after one email him on: rob@tweenierob.co.uk

Simon_
5th October 2005, 08:35
Originally posted by Andy McCord:
Christ thats motorbike size :eek:
good old tiewraps to the rescue simon :D Yeah hence the disbelief it will work like original but it does!

Yes tiewraps for the moment.. the original holder even if I wind it down enough weighs too much smile.gif

Room for MSD behind it?

Simon

Slooby
5th October 2005, 09:07
Simon, you need to clean that engine bay, it's far worse than mine...oh and you'll also be taking the tiewrap title as well if you're not careful ;)

Simon_
5th October 2005, 09:10
Originally posted by Slooby:
Simon, you need to clean that engine bay, it's far worse than mine...oh and you'll also be taking the tiewrap title as well if you're not careful ;) it looks dirty due to the flash in the dark but then the car has done 172,000miles rather than sat around collecting dust, so it is entitled to have some grubbiness about it.. it's for go, not show.. lol

Simon

Slooby
5th October 2005, 09:22
Granted mine has done only 95000 miles, but it wasn't as dirty...at least my inner wings were body colour tongue.gif And it's not exactly been pampered...this is the first time it's ever speant any time inside...granted nearly a year now, but it ived outside for the previous 6 ;)

Simon_
5th October 2005, 09:24
lol.. I'll take a pic in day light to show off how clean it really is.. not..

hummmm... nearly twice the miles remember and mine has never lived inside (what difference that makes to under the bonnet I dunno)..

Slooby
5th October 2005, 09:28
Pampered lifestyle is what I was implying simon, which we all know my cars have never had ;)

Simon_
5th October 2005, 09:29
I think mine speaks for itself.. lol..

Race Altered
6th October 2005, 22:35
Battery sorted, cheers Mikee.

Bonnet next thing on the list smile.gif

Bob D
25th November 2005, 17:11
Just had mine die today.

Has been showing signs of strain of the last week but today it failed to start.

Useage over the last few days has been evening use only, journeys of no more than 1-2 miles, left to stand at least 24hrs in between trips, only headlamps used.

How's everybody else getting on with theirs?

Bob

Slooby
25th November 2005, 17:37
Is it completely dead, or can you re-charge it Bob?

I'm not surprised with the short trips you've been making, the temperatures at this time of year and the extra ancileries you'll be using on a trip (heater, lights, wipers etc) that's it's died, but so soon is a little alarming!

Bob D
25th November 2005, 17:47
I have it on charge now Tim.

Havent been using heaters or anything, as the trips are so short the car doesnt have time to heat up. Only use the headlights.

Its always started first time but it was always the case that if it didnt start the first time it wouldn't have enough charge to start the 2nd time. Has been struggling over the last week.

5hrs on a 4amp charger should do it.

Bob

Paul@Zen
26th November 2005, 09:28
Perhaps check your charging voltage at the battery, bad alternator earths can cause low charging voltage.

keith cowie
26th November 2005, 10:05
Originally posted by mikeesingh:

the odyssey pc680 has 680A cranking current
and am about to order 8 from distributor at about £72 inc vat and delivery

have 1 or 2 spare if anybody wants one

mikee Hi Mikee

Do you have any of these odyssey batterys for sale
if not where did you buy them from.

thanks Keith

mikeesingh
26th November 2005, 13:57
bob, ive left my car standing for upto 4 weeks with out and it allways starts up fine. the batteries have 3 year waranttee, so should be able to get it swapped if your still having problems.

keith, i might have one spare as i bought one for wagon that i dont need, if not will email you details where to order from on monday from work. my last order i think he did 4 for £72 inc delivery each or if you only order one its £90.

mikee

Simon_
26th November 2005, 14:33
Mine is perfect and done about 7000miles.. also I can listen to the radio with engine off for over an hour and the battery is then still strong enough to start the car with no noticable difference and it doesn't switch the SPA low battery warnings on whihc the original battery did in the same situation.

Simon

Bob D
26th November 2005, 14:37
Maybe I need to look at the alternator.

Can the charge rate be checked using a multimeter at idle?

Simon_
26th November 2005, 15:09
Yes.. just the voltage at the battery.. I think mine is something like 14volts on idle but can check.

Simon

David_Wallis
26th November 2005, 15:11
13.8 - 14ish volts should be seen when running imho.

Bob D
26th November 2005, 15:18
Cheers. Will check it next weekend.

Bob

stevieturbo
26th November 2005, 15:18
The alternator should dictate that though.

keith cowie
26th November 2005, 15:23

keith, i might have one spare as i bought one for wagon that i dont need, mikee Hi Mikee

If you dont need it let me know i will have it off you

thanks Keith

Paul@Zen
28th November 2005, 00:06
I'll have a battery if you have two spares Mikee!

Race Altered
28th November 2005, 00:08
It might surprise you how long it takes an altenator to recover a flat battery !

John Stevenson
28th November 2005, 01:32
Seems there might be enough of us with this requirement to have a wee follow up Group buy ?

Andrew Carr
28th November 2005, 10:21
I'd be interested in 1 if there was, pretty sure Jim would be too.

Andrew...

David_Wallis
28th November 2005, 10:32
It might surprise you how long it takes an altenator to recover a flat battery ! depending on the type of battery, some types once they are flat are pretty useless. 'Deep Cycle' batterys are better.

John Stevenson
28th November 2005, 10:36
So possibly

Paul
John Confirmed
Andrew
Jim

anymore ?

David_Wallis
28th November 2005, 10:39
possibly one here too.

johnfelstead
28th November 2005, 10:50
These Gel batteries dont like being fully discharged. They also dont like being charged at a high rate with a boost charger. If you are using one on a car that is not used dialy then it's wise to buy a battery charger designed for this type of battery, and leave it constantly on charge.

Andy McCord
28th November 2005, 11:34
John, when you say a charger for this type of battery, are you meaning a charger with a low amp charge rate?

I am really in need of a battery soon but i am unsure as to whether this battery will be suitable for my current usage of my car, there are times when its not started for 2 weeks, so maybe its not a good option.

Andy

mikeesingh
28th November 2005, 11:50
some info copied from site

----------------------------
The Odyssey Range of Racing batteries use TPT (thin plate technology) rolled lead grid to deliver immensecranking power and fast recharge capability.

Why Use ODYSSEY Drycell Batteries?
Guaranteed longer service life—With a twelve year design life and a six-to-ten year service life, ODYSSEY® saves you time and money because you do not have to replace the battery as often. ODYSSEY is warranted against factory defects for two full years in Powersports or three full years in automotive, commercial and heavyduty marine.

Superior cranking and fast charge capability
The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as -40°C.
Also, with simple constant voltage charging (alternator or independent charger), there is no limitation on the inrush current, so the user is assured of fast charge recovery.

Mounting flexibility
The ODYSSEY battery may be installed on its sides at any angle without sacrificing any performance attributes. There is no fear of any acid spillage as ODYSSEY recycles the internal gas during operation or charging.

Superior vibration resistance
ODYSSEY batteries are of military grade and have endured rigorous tests that demonstrate their overall ruggedness and exceptional tolerance of mechanical abuse.

Ready out of the box
ODYSSEY batteries are shipped fully charged. If ODYSSEY’s voltage is 12.65V or greater simply install the battery in your vehicle and you are ready to go! If below 12.65V, boost charge following the instructions in the ODYSSEY Owner’s Manual.

Longer storage life
Unlike conventional batteries that need to be recharged every six to twelve weeks the ODYSSEY battery, when fully charged, can be stored for up to 2 years at 25°C (77°F). Simply recharge and ODYSSEY is returned to full power. At lower temperatures, storage times will be even longer.

Deep discharge recovery
Should ODYSSEY become deeply discharged, simply recharge following instructions in the ODYSSEY Owners Manual.

Military Grade
Only ODYSSEY is based on the same battery technology offered by EnerSys to the military for aircraft and tank batteries.

mikeesingh
28th November 2005, 12:00
bob, i phoned the the distributor today and said you would better with the proper charger like john said but you should be able to charge it up with a normal charger, just keep a eye on it, he said 1 and 1/2 hours should be enough but take it off charge if the battery gets warm.

dont mind organising another group buy as 2 other people have asked for one too or i can pass on details to someone else to sort out.

Bob D
28th November 2005, 13:03
Cheers Mikee. Its going back in the car in a couple of hours and hopefully it'll be okay.

Will update.

Bob

johnfelstead
28th November 2005, 13:05
The problem with these batteries arises when you have them installed in a vehicle that trickle discharges them, such as when you have an alarm system on the vehicle, and that vehicle then does short journeys or has long breaks between use.

If you leave the car stood, or do very short journeys, the battery will eventually discharge to a point it wont crank the engine. To get over this problem you should use a charger that keeps them topped up between runs.

We use these batteries on the race cars, they can run the car for 30 minutes without an alternator, but between runs we slow boost them at 2A initial charge (drops to milliamps over time) overnight so they are ready for the next race. In between race meetings we keep them on charge using a diferent special charger that conditions the batteries, it automatically charges and discharges then charges in a cycle that ensures the battery is kept healthy.

For a car used often on decent journey lengths, you wont ever have a problem, but if you are leaving the car for weeks without use, or doing short journeys eventually the battery will reach a point where it cant crank the engine, unless you have a charger conditioning the battery between runs.

I had one of these on my 200SX, it only let me down the once, when the car was stood for a couple of weeks without use. I always carried some jump leads in the car, just in case.

Bob D
28th November 2005, 13:10
Ah. This may well be the problem then. Very short journeys at night (1-2miles), gaps inbetween useage etc.

What charger do you use to condition the battery?

johnfelstead
28th November 2005, 13:16
i knew you were going to ask that! :D

I'll get the info tomorrow at work, snowed in today so cant get down there. :D :D

jim.....
28th November 2005, 13:29
John, as my car doesn't move much these days, if I got one and it did discharge to the point that it won't turn over, would it be ok to jump it with one of those boost packs that you can buy, I'm assumiong it would as they're designed for this purpose, just not sure with the this type of battery.

Andrew Carr
28th November 2005, 13:36
Don't buy one when you can knit your own: http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2112/article.html

I made something similar a few years ago for my parents mobile roadworks, works a treat.

Andrew...

Andrew Carr
28th November 2005, 13:40
Jim

If the battery was really flat then one of those things will put a lot of current into the it very quickly, if you just used it to literally start the car and then disconnect then it should be OK, but I wouldn't use one to boost the battery.

Andrew...

jim.....
28th November 2005, 13:50
That's all it would be needed for, start car drive off, not like yesterdays quick trip round the block but proper run out which probably didn't impress the folk's neighbours :D :D

johnfelstead
28th November 2005, 13:56
it would probably be OK for a few seconds Jim, i would prefer to fix the issue properly though, by ensuring you dont keep running the battery down, they dont like it.

jim.....
28th November 2005, 14:10
Looks like I may have to go with a smaller normal battery like the justy option, as the car is kept outside don't think the folks would be to happy with an extention lead permantley trailing outside :rolleyes:

Andy McCord
28th November 2005, 14:35
Jim, given the size of the battery you could prob get away with removing it quite quickly & charging it indoors, added bonus of extra security & with no acid there will be no chance of bleaching your parents carpets.

Bob D
28th November 2005, 14:38
Yes but removing the battery regularly causes problems such as the ECU resetting, alarm, trackers...

Bob

jim.....
28th November 2005, 15:02
Good point Andy, and having the LINK ecu reset won't matter, ok no alarm, but secure as it can't be driven off, add a wheel clamp we're sorted and I can keep the battery at mine.

Andrew Carr
28th November 2005, 15:39
Stops the old man taking it for a blast while you're not there!

Andrew...

jim.....
28th November 2005, 18:04
What you mean the bloke that goes very quiet everytime he goes anywhere in the passenger seat :D :D its the only car I've owned that he's never driven.

Andrew Carr
29th November 2005, 11:35
Any advance on:

Paul
John Confirmed
Andrew Confirmed
Jim
David

Mikee if you have 2 others as well we have 4 confirmed already? Is this enough to get the same price as you had previously?

David_Wallis
29th November 2005, 12:00
what are preferred payment methods?

mikeesingh
29th November 2005, 12:32
yes andrew, will wait till friday if anyone else confirms.

distributor said he will do for £70 each including vat and delivery to one address as ive had 16 off him before.

it will be £77 delivered to each address by business post, would prefer bank transfer or you can send £80 by paypal to mikeesingh@aol.com

mikee

jim.....
29th November 2005, 14:00
Gonna go with the justy route, as I don't need all the space as some do for MSD etc.,

John Stevenson
29th November 2005, 16:04
Mikee, pm me your bank details.

---JohnS---

Andy916
29th November 2005, 16:45
Hiya,
I'm interested, hope I've not missed the boat!
Are the connectors the same ('95 WRX), how does 680A compare to standard (my manual says 48AH or 27AH, quite a difference there...) and are any of the deliveries going near Cambridge?
cheers
Andy

John Stevenson
29th November 2005, 16:48
Andy, the battery terminals are M6 rather than posts.

---john---

keith cowie
29th November 2005, 17:26
Originally posted by AndrewC:
Any advance on:

Paul
John Confirmed
Andrew Confirmed
Jim
David

Mikee if you have 2 others as well we have 4 confirmed already? Is this enough to get the same price as you had previously? Yes me

Paul
John Confirmed
Andrew Confirmed
Jim
David
Keith Cowie

Keith

Race Altered
29th November 2005, 18:00
Originally posted by David Wallis:
depending on the type of battery, some types once they are flat are pretty useless. 'Deep Cycle' batterys are better. Wouldn't be so sure about that personally :(

I was of the understanding that "deep cycle" just as you are, meant they were better....however what I found was that deep cycle doesn't mean you can run them flat and they will recover better than an ordinary battery.

Quite the opposite, after going through 2 optima's within 6mths, the retailer told me they were not designed to be discharged completely the reason I had originally bought one :confused: and that once they have they are pretty much useless !

Having said that I think you can recover them but it requires a special charger.

mikeesingh
29th November 2005, 18:08
Paul, John, Andrew, David & Keith
have sent you a pm/email with account details.

keith cowie
29th November 2005, 21:12
Mikee

You should have my paypal payment

thanks Keith

David_Wallis
29th November 2005, 21:15
empty your inbox mikee.

John Stevenson
29th November 2005, 23:36
Mikee payment from me too...Paypal

johnfelstead
30th November 2005, 01:50
Charger we use is http://www.optimate3.com/

Andy916
30th November 2005, 10:22
Before confirming with mikee...

How have people found the PC680 on cold mornings, like today or last week? The capacity (18AH) is a lot lower than standard (48AH on WRX I believe).

Simon_
30th November 2005, 10:26
Originally posted by Andy916:
Before confirming with mikee...

How have people found the PC680 on cold mornings, like today or last week? The capacity (18AH) is a lot lower than standard (48AH on WRX I believe). This morning my Apexi showed coolant temp of 1c.
SPA said throttle body was -2c and outside temp gauge showed -1.8c
It turned over and started first time.
The crank was slightly slower than when engine is hot but as you would expect for a cold morning..
the battery warning on the SPA gauges was not tripped which sometimes happened on the original battery - whilst cranking it would drop below 11.4volts.

I really have not noticed any negatives with the battery on my car, it is currently driven most days though.

Simon

Andrew Carr
30th November 2005, 10:29
Editted becase I posted what Simon has written above (as he told me when I asked him the same question by email the other day).

Andrew...

Simon_
30th November 2005, 10:32
Editted becase I posted what Simon has written above (as he told me when I asked him the same question by email the other day).

Andrew... how can I tell you what happened this morning the other day.. lol smile.gif

Andrew Carr
30th November 2005, 11:02
[Editted due to commercially sensitive content]

[ 30. November 2005, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: AndrewC ]

Simon_
30th November 2005, 11:03
lol

Andy916
30th November 2005, 16:28
Thanks guys!

How much weight have you saved?

Simon_
1st December 2005, 09:20
[Editted due to commercially sensitive content] lmfao..

mikeesingh
1st December 2005, 15:48
i think mine was arround 8kg lighter than standard batery.

just waiting for david and andy916 to confirm if they want one or not before i order tomorrow

Bob D
12th December 2005, 14:33
Checked mine with a muti-meter:

Morning after a 100mile run = 12.29v
On idle: = 14.66v

Suggests that the alternator is functioning ok?

If I leave the car standing for a couple of days it seems to loose its charge. No changes made to any electrical items, so cant see that its a big drain from anywhere.

Bob

John Stevenson
12th December 2005, 19:52
Any news on an ETA Mikee ?

cheers ---john---

mikeesingh
13th December 2005, 10:31
all batteries should be delivered by thursday

bob, if its the battery thats faulty, shall i ask about getting it swapped?

Bob D
13th December 2005, 14:35
Mikee, if you could that would be good. Only problem is that I cant get a normal battery back on in whilst its being returned due to the terminals being chopped.

Bob

Paul@Zen
14th December 2005, 19:13
Would anyone be interested in having some turned alumium or brass terminals to screw onto the top of the battery? that way they can take the normal clamps.

Paul

John Stevenson
14th December 2005, 20:40
Thats a good idea Paul (don't need them myself though. note to self, Paul must have some Scottish Ancestry tongue.gif )

---john---

Andy.F
14th December 2005, 20:56
What ? offering brass to the english !! I don't think so ;)

Paul@Zen
14th December 2005, 21:09
race version (aluminium) will carry a price premium of course!

Simon_
14th December 2005, 21:18
Originally posted by Pavlo:
Would anyone be interested in having some turned alumium or brass terminals to screw onto the top of the battery? that way they can take the normal clamps.

Paul extra weight smile.gif

John Stevenson
19th December 2005, 01:32
Mikee, no battery here yet, not a big problem for me, but thought I'd say just in case there was one at the other end.

---john---

keith cowie
19th December 2005, 12:20
Originally posted by Gizmo1314:
Mikee, no battery here yet, not a big problem for me, but thought I'd say just in case there was one at the other end.

---john--- Same here any idea when i should see it Mikee

thanks Keith

mikeesingh
20th December 2005, 09:05
sorry been very busy with calenders
will be sending them all today,
john+keith yours will be on a 2 day service, as businesspost has decided they are going to charge me more than double for some scotland deliveries.

mikee

John Stevenson
20th December 2005, 15:00
No problem Mikee only mentioned in case they had gone missing in action.

thanks again ---john---

Race Altered
20th December 2005, 18:23

mikee any with baps and such like ;) :D

keith cowie
31st December 2005, 12:12
will be sending them all today,
john+keith yours will be on a 2 day service, as businesspost has decided they are going to charge me more than double for some scotland deliveries.

mikee Hi Mikee

Any joy with sending out the battery as it is not here yet

thanks Keith

mikeesingh
31st December 2005, 16:32
all packed up, didnt get to send them before christmas, they will be collected on tuesday for delivery wednesday/thursday, very sorry for the delay.

John Stevenson
31st December 2005, 17:44
No bother for me Mikee, the car is a Meccano set at the Mo.

---john---

John Stevenson
4th January 2006, 15:40
Mikee, received delivery from the Punjab Times today,

many thanks ---john---

Race Altered
12th January 2006, 21:08
How many interested do we need to get some more of these, I possibly need another one smile.gif

dnb
13th January 2006, 11:48
Could be interested in one for the TVR.

How do they cope with the alarm always drawing a small current? Sometimes the TVR sits for several (up to 5) days between outings.

Carlos13
3rd May 2006, 07:00
Picked one of these up on ebay last night for £72 + £5 delivery. Not delivered yet so I can't vouch for the seller, though he has 100% feedback. As I write he has one more available.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ODYSSEY-PC680-DRYCELL-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-BATTERY_W0QQitemZ8060216505QQcategoryZ25644QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Can anyone tell me what else I need to acquire to fit it? Obviously I need something to tie it down (cable ties looking ideal in the post above) - what terminals do I need to buy?

Bob D
3rd May 2006, 08:25
You can just cut the end of the old terminal off and it will fit a treat.

johnfelstead
3rd May 2006, 10:46
Cable ties are not strong enough to hold a heavy item like a battery in place during an impact, dont use them, make a good strap or clamp based retainer.

Simon_
3rd May 2006, 12:21
Yeah don't copy anything I do!! that was only a temporary measure..

the positive connection you can unbolt the clamp from it and then it will go straight on.. the negative won't but you can run an earth strap to the earthing point on the inner wing etc.. either then remove the original and tie it back etc..

Simon

Adamantium
3rd May 2006, 15:37
I never did get mine!

Paul@Zen
4th May 2006, 08:29
I have yours Adam.

Carlos13
5th May 2006, 12:45
Originally posted by Simon_:
the negative won't but you can run an earth strap to the earthing point on the inner wing etc.. either then remove the original and tie it back etc..Sorry I don't understand this - can I not just take what is currently attached to the negative terminal and attach it to that terminal on the new battery? Ok I realise the terminal connection might not be the same, but is that the only problem?

Adamantium
5th May 2006, 14:09
Paul, did you want to keep it or can you send it to me?

Carlos13
7th May 2006, 17:34
Just fitted the battery. Fairly straightforward - the two positive wires just bolt straight on. I made errr, a slight modification to the negative wire with a hacksaw to make it fit.

I am using the original retaining rods and top bracket, with blocks of wood at the bottom to hold it in place. Anyone think this is not good enough?

Simon_
8th May 2006, 09:08
Originally posted by Carlos13:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Simon_:
the negative won't but you can run an earth strap to the earthing point on the inner wing etc.. either then remove the original and tie it back etc..Sorry I don't understand this - can I not just take what is currently attached to the negative terminal and attach it to that terminal on the new battery? Ok I realise the terminal connection might not be the same, but is that the only problem? </font>[/QUOTE]sorry missed your questions.. sounds like you are sorted already anyway.

Carlos13
8th May 2006, 09:15
Yes I am, thanks. I am not 100% satisfied with the way it is strapped down.

Car is into Pavlo next week so I will ask his advice.