PDA

View Full Version : AST coilovers

Adamantium
16th April 2004, 12:11
After all the good press, I was wondering how many people might be interested in these since I have seen some indication on various threads relating to them, that there might be enough of us.

Would like to gauge opinion initially, will then approach powerstation, or scoobyclinic who I am told will be supplying at some point too.

Standard retail on all types of impreza is 850 plus vat. Having spoken to them, 10+ kits would be at 750 plus vat each and we are already on the way.

Adam M
Christian R
Slooby

[ 16. April 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Adam M ]

Slooby
16th April 2004, 12:52
Count me in too

Adamantium
16th April 2004, 14:08

RSVR Racer
16th April 2004, 14:36
Adam, what does full kit consist of mate?

Conrad

Steven
16th April 2004, 15:09
Me, but would need them sooner rather than later

Adamantium
16th April 2004, 15:24
conrad,

I am not the man to ask on what is included,

I know that I have ordered top mounts separately from mrt.

Information can be had from http://www.powerstation.org.uk or try calling.

ask for dirk, he is very helpful.

steven,

I would like mine soon too. If we can get 10 names, I can get the kits ordered and I think they are a couple weeks from that date.

Frankly I would buy them at 850 anyway, so may order mine to be in stock regardless. I will check that ordering them individually wont affect their own supply costs and thus their ability to reduce them for bulk orders.

Steven
16th April 2004, 15:56
So if i wanted them now, i would still have to wait a week or 2?

Adamantium
16th April 2004, 17:36
you called call powerstation and ask them if they will make a consession because they may have stock ready, but I suspect best case scenario its still at least a couple of week away.

DaveW
16th April 2004, 19:02
They were in stock when I ordered mine last week, got them next day.

Dave.

Steven
16th April 2004, 20:49
right, will ring em tomorrow

RSVR Racer
16th April 2004, 20:53
Originally posted by Adam M:

I am not the man to ask on what is included,

Organising a group buy, Its 850 but I'm not sure what you get just hand over your money lads....LOL tongue.gif

Nice one, i will call him 2morrow :D

Adamantium
17th April 2004, 07:42
I don't know! 4 shocks and springs?????

what do you want me to say. I organised the price.

Steven,

if you call them today, can you find out if your purchase comes as part of the group buy.

I fear that it may just be that they end up discounting the next 10 sets they sell instead of being gauranteed 10 sales.

Slooby
17th April 2004, 11:42
Would we get more of a discount or a better package deal if we were to go for Powerstation's complete damper, spring, ALK, and Anti-rollbar set up?

I was thinking of getting the whole lot done because I was so impressed with the set up of their STi3

Steven
17th April 2004, 12:18
Well just given them a ring, and all stock is accounted for, so none available to go out today/monday.

Richard is the guy who knows the details, but he wasnt in, so wasnt certain.

Think they will be coming in around the 24th.

Apparantly there are 2 spring rates available, but again they couldnt tell me anything other than a road setup and a track setup.

Going to ring back on monday and find out some more info, if Richard is available.

Adam,

Do you have any of the above details? The spring rates are quite key to me, as i believe some kits are way too hard and others are too soft.

Steven

Adamantium
17th April 2004, 17:32
I seem to remember something like 50 front and 40 rear N/mm but don't quote me as I dont have the emails here that confirm it.

Having been in the cars with these things fitted, I am not concerned about the numbers. if they can get my car to drive like those then I will be more than happy.

I am also going for the antilift kit, solid drop links and potentially the roll bar adjustment, but will be doing them one by one.

I have ordered noltec top mounts from mrt, as combinde with the antilift kits it will allow me over 4 degrees of castor.

Steven
17th April 2004, 21:41
whats those rates in english :D

the solid links make a difference, have them already. might do the alk.

how much for top mounts?

Slooby
17th April 2004, 22:12
Originally posted by P20SPD:
how much for top mounts? Mmmm ditto ;)

johnfelstead
17th April 2004, 23:44
the spring rates they use normally are lower than i would run for a track/road setup but ideal for a fast road setup with good comfort levels and compliance.

When i was there last week they were going to try a higher rate for more track oriented, but still road usable work and give those a try. The harder rates were identical to the rates i used to run on my RA.

Slooby
18th April 2004, 08:38
Originally posted by johnfelstead:
The harder rates were identical to the rates i used to run on my RA. Wasn't that something like 325 lb front and 275 lb rear?

My 350lb front and 275 rear is way to hard now with the polybushed chassis, solid pillow-ball top mounts, solid drop links, rear upper strut brace and the front's uppper and lower braces.

The car doesn't feel like it's loading up correctly at the front untill your doing stupid speeds. At normal pace forget driving down C roads and most B roads even, every ripple/hole on the road surface affect the directional stability.

I'll actually goes as far as saying I have ruined the car with the current set up :( It's hatefull on the road. But it's great on track :rolleyes:

Previously I had 275lb front and 225lb rear without the top mounts or poly bushes and the car was fine if a little soft at the rear.

NeVeTaS
18th April 2004, 12:37
Adam, have also posted it here for you

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=320173

MorayMackenzie
19th April 2004, 14:32
I've just added a link back to here. smile.gif

Steven
19th April 2004, 14:59
Spring rates for classic are 230 front and 170 rear.

Sorry guys, ordered mine today, getting them wednesday, together with ALK and rear ARB.

Steven

David_Wallis
19th April 2004, 16:06
did you order with those rates?

how do they compare to current rates?

Steven
19th April 2004, 20:53
yes i did based on his advice, that higher rates were too hard for the road.

on the avo coilovers i have 325 front and 275 rear, which IMO suited the avos, but it bounced a bit over cross country b roads.

basically, the helper spring and thicker piston should compensate for the lower spring rates. the lower spring rates should help on the road.

David_Wallis
19th April 2004, 22:59
might be worth sorting those rear arches with the softer springs..

you still got those gay 17" wheels?

David

Steven
20th April 2004, 07:27
yes, think i will de-gay them

RSVR Racer
20th April 2004, 10:15
PMSL @
yes, think i will de-gay them

chrome@home
20th April 2004, 11:36
LOL.. fwiw, I find the ALK very very good.. altho it can make hard braking 'interesting' (pro-dive for want of a better expression) even more so using the low-slung OBX headers..

David_Wallis
20th April 2004, 12:27
I need to de-gay mine too..

please 'manify' 8 wheels..

David

Simon_
20th April 2004, 12:40
Originally posted by David_Wallis:
I need to de-gay mine too..

please 'manify' 8 wheels..

David Stick them on Adam's 22B, and I am sure in a week or so most of the gold colouring will have been left behind on a few kerb stones somewhere!
:D :D :D

Simon smile.gif

RSVR Racer
20th April 2004, 16:56
Perhaps we can get Adam to organise a "group buy" on manifyed wheels although I not sure what you'd get for your money tongue.gif

LOL :D

Adamantium
20th April 2004, 18:58
back to the group buy please guys.

is anyone apart from me actually interested in buying these via this route?

Slooby
20th April 2004, 19:55
errrr me?

Floyd
21st April 2004, 07:06
Hold yer horses, there may be a small problem. Need to check 'em out further.

F

Steven
21st April 2004, 07:22
Adam, i would have done, but i am impatient, and couldnt afford to wait for the number of people to build up. I want my car back on the road ASAP.

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 09:23
perhaps you can call them and explain this to them?

the top mounts and the uprated steering mount kit from mrt have so far cost 324 aud.

Have requested they be marked up cheaper, but not sure if they will do that.

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 09:33
thing is, I am not sure with a product like this we can be sure of 10 people, so completely understand your situation.

Can't see ps going along with the whole thing of buyers coming along one at a time with the numbers being met up, its the same as them selling their first ten kits for less.

All I have done is got them a bit of advertising and forced people to consider the product, which they may have been doing anyway, especially since someone like you who needs to buy some must have been looking anyway.

Am not confident about this :(

Can afford the extra 117.50 but at the mo, would rather save as much as I can with an engine build to pay for.

David_Wallis
21st April 2004, 09:42
He didnt 'need' them just wanted a change :rolleyes:

Fancy selling the old springs?

Steven
21st April 2004, 10:00
Dave, yeah no problem, you can have them.

Adam, i did explain that on saturday, but dont think it registered.

My AVO's are about dead after 30000+ miles, so thought i would try something different.

Steven

Simon_
21st April 2004, 10:04
I really should think about changing my standard shocks and springs which have done :gulp: 147,000miles.. lol.. lucky motorways are fairly smooth.. no way I can afford the AST coilovers though, sorry Adam.

Simon

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 10:07
about dead or bearable for a while?

don't think anything did register and looking back at your saturday post, I am still unclear of what you are trying to say.

Joking aside, please explain it clearly now to this idiot.

Steven
21st April 2004, 10:12
AVO's were probably bearable, but seeing as my car is in bits, and being rebuilt, i wanted to change the suspension while i was at it. The car needs to be able to roll (which it cant at the moment) on its wheels for next week, as its off to the sprayers.

No point building suspension up, to change it again so quickly.

Basically, i rang up on saturday, and who i spoke to didnt really have much of a clue over the specs of the springs, or when some could be delivered. I was told, they would be receiving some at the end of this week, ie another batch.

When i rang on monday, i got a different person who answered every question, and said he had 1 set he could send out, so i bought them, should arrive today:D

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 10:28
ok steven, now I get you.

with this in mind,

can I ask a few questions?

why did you go for ast, have you been looking into them for a while? if so what was the deciding factor?

did you get a choice of spring rates, and if so which did you go for?

when they are in will you give us your impressions please?

Steven
21st April 2004, 10:32
went for ast due to the good reports i have read, and cost, i was going to and nearly did buy some TEIN.

He said he would supply whatever spring rates i wanted, but through their testing the 230 170 setup worked best. I took their advice and opted for this rating. If it doesnt feel right for me, then i will change the spring rates.

Yes i will give my views on the kit, once i get usd to the "new" car.

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 10:37
thanks for the feedback. think I may have missed the newification of your car!

David_Wallis
21st April 2004, 10:40
You all have..

Simon_
21st April 2004, 10:43
Could hardly run with a couple of pistons missing and a rod through the block now could it Adam!

lol

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 11:29
thats an engine, doesn't explain trip to sprayers!

Steven
21st April 2004, 13:03
Bonnet, dents, stone chips, rear wing where gate blew into it as i was reversing, new mudflaps, bumpre stone chips and scrubs, etc, tidy up basically.

Simon_
21st April 2004, 13:05
Could do with doing the same to mine.

Sunroof is the only non-subaru piece or body work I believe and it is rusting! doh!

Simon

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 13:38
so it really will be like a whole new car.

amazing.

hope you enjoy it.

MorayMackenzie
21st April 2004, 15:04
Adam,

You keep on and on about your ride quality and NVH issues, and now you've gone for uprated steering rack mounts?

You say you are wanting to rush through your AST purchase as you don't want the car off the road for long... So whats wrong with your current STI suspension that stops you using the car?

And how come you are still asking for peoples opinions on the stuff in the group buy thread you yourself started in order to save some money on the purchase of the kit? Are you still not sure its what you want?

Moray

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 15:56
its nice to be reassured of your purchases from people whose opinions your respect.

further to this the group buy is far from a dead cert, and I would be more convinced at the lower price point.

know what you are saying re nvh, but nvh is a combined term. I don't mind the N part, or the V part, its the H part I am not really keen on.

The suspension change is to give me some compliance yet still improve the handling and confidence I have in the car. Having said that, steering feel is my ultimate goal, which is why I am fitting the top mounts, which do increase nvh, just not as much as the non bushed versions available from other companies.

and finally, am not sure what you mean by

"You say you are wanting to rush through your AST purchase as you don't want the car off the road for long... So whats wrong with your current STI suspension that stops you using the car?"

I don't recall saying I won't be able to use the car until the shocks are fitted. P20SPD said that because his avo shocks are knackered. I am keen to get all mine fitted, because I want to appreciate the gains, but I am happy to wait to reduce the price, and have to anyway as I want the top mounts which havent arrived yet to be fitted at the saem time.

Mr J
21st April 2004, 17:06
I may want a set also smile.gif

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 22:49
adam
christian
slooby
mr. j

DuncanG
22nd April 2004, 08:17
adam
christian
slooby
mr. j
DuncanG

David_Wallis
22nd April 2004, 08:53
Duncan, if they are for a legacy wardrobe, you may want stiffer on the rear?

DuncanG
22nd April 2004, 11:41
I've heard it called a hearse but never a wardrobe before, lol.

You're right though I intend to go for 40N/mm front and back. They normally provide 40F/30R for classics and 50F/40R for the lardy new-age.

Steven
22nd April 2004, 20:39
:D WOW

Package arrived today from Powerstation, a day late, but hey ho.

Open box, and, gobsmacked at the appearance of this kit. Compared to the AVO kit, they are unbelievable in the quality.

The damper rod is way thicker, it has all the brackets on for the abs wire and brake pipe, which the avos didnt.

Will take some pics tomorrow night, once i have found the camera.

Steven

Adamantium
23rd April 2004, 10:23
steven, when are you plannig to fit this?

can't remember if you said which set up you went for, road or track.

Simon_
23rd April 2004, 10:25
Pictures.. I want big bright pictures!!

:D

Paul@Zen
23rd April 2004, 10:51
for reference I ran 325f 225r on my legacy estate, and I would say something like 290f 225r would be good for a comfortable fast road setup, and 325 275 woulf be good for a more track oriented setup with ARBs, maybe slightly higher for die hard track enthusiasts. Ledas were still fine on road with my rates and 16" wheels though, better and less crashy than Eibachs with std dampers and 18s.

Paul

Steven
23rd April 2004, 16:14
some of the parts will go on tonight.

went for road setup

Steven
23rd April 2004, 20:27
sorry, not fitted any of the suspension tonight, decided to put the gearbox in instead.

took some pics though.

as it arrived
http://www.stevend.org/uploads/astsuspension1.jpg

close up of one of the dampers against my watch. crude measurement of rod suggests its 3/4 of an inch in diameter
http://www.stevend.org/uploads/astsuspension2.jpg

Simon_
23rd April 2004, 21:59
Looks very :cool:

Simon :D

David_Wallis
23rd April 2004, 23:47
Call me before you fit antilift!!!

its important, dont do fiibr

Anders
24th April 2004, 12:10
fiibr? :confused: will it suit an sti 2 wagon with 100k miles? it has anti lift already thanks to bob rawle :cool:

johnfelstead
24th April 2004, 18:32
Originally posted by Slooby:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by johnfelstead:
The harder rates were identical to the rates i used to run on my RA. Wasn't that something like 325 lb front and 275 lb rear?

My 350lb front and 275 rear is way to hard now with the polybushed chassis, solid pillow-ball top mounts, solid drop links, rear upper strut brace and the front's uppper and lower braces.</font>[/QUOTE]I ran 325lb front 225lb rear, but i also ran 22mm ARB's F/R on the stifest settings and used the setting of the Leda's to balance everything out, the stiff ARB's only really were a negative on very tight slow uphill corners where it would lift a rear wheel, but the plated LSD would sort that out.

Steven
24th April 2004, 19:49
fiibr, is what i say often "fck it, it'll be right"

anyway couple of pics

knackered avo suspension vs new ast suspension (fronts)
http://www.stevend.org/uploads/avo-v-ast.jpg

front ast fitted (excuse knackered aps:D)
http://www.stevend.org/uploads/astfrontfitted.jpg

ast adjusters on front suspension, all four struts have these on, and they are marked soft or hard. you can hear each of the click adjustments so clearly.
http://www.stevend.org/uploads/astfrontadjuster.jpg

also fitted the ARB on the rear, 22mm, and the anti lift kit on the front.

steven

Adamantium
26th April 2004, 10:38
I am guessing you haven't driven it with these on due to a lack of engine?

am thinking the group buy isn't happening at the mo due to a lack of interested parties,

will keep this open if people are prepared to weight, but finance permitting I may just have to go for it anyway!

Steven
26th April 2004, 10:46
I am guessing you haven't driven it with these on due to a lack of engine?
Correct, also lack of brakes (one 6 pot caliper still on trouts car and no rear disks or pads), lack of prop shaft, lack of rear diff, lack of ecu, and god knows what else i havent thought about.

Steven
26th April 2004, 10:48
oh forgot to add;

as a comparison, daft i know, but when the avos were new i could pull and push the damp rod in by hand, i cant on the ast's, so that probably explains why they are lower spring rates.

Adamantium
26th April 2004, 12:24
thanks for the extra info paul!

Simon_
26th April 2004, 12:26
thanks for the extra info paul! You mean Steven?

Adamantium
26th April 2004, 12:32
nope, I meant paul.

after the problems with his name last time, I decided paul was easier to remember, and so have adopted this.

no problem with regards to pavlo as he gets called pavlo.

Simon_
26th April 2004, 12:34
Would it not be easier to like use his username if you have trouble remembering who is who?
If you are going to call Paul by his username then why not do the same for Steven?

tongue.gif lol :D

Simon

Adamantium
26th April 2004, 13:48
I suppose pavlo is more name like than P20SPD.

When you were jgm, I did my best to call you simon, and when people refer to me it is adam and not adam m. I suppose it is testimony to the niceness of this site.

Havign said that, the fact that I permanently get steven's name wrong is testimony to my poor name association.

I think if I met him once, then I wouldn't have a problem.

apart from those ooop north I think i have met most people on here who i regularly talk to. I can only assume not being able to put a face to the name is what is causing my problem.

Steven, you have my apologies if youj are reading this. I will try.

btw, back on track, I still have had no word from mrt on the cost of the top mounts delivered or the delivery date,

Simon_
26th April 2004, 13:51
LOL.. you sound all serious now..

Adamantium
26th April 2004, 14:59
yeah I kind of do.

suppose harvey has a point in his thread in anything else.

I often get carried away with semantics and forget that the technical forums should be kept clear.

apologies to all, as a moderator I should be setting an example.

johnfelstead
26th April 2004, 18:29
humour me steven. grab hold of the top hard rate spring and pull it down so it compresses the helper spring below it. does the fitting between the two springs rub or catch on the threaded section of the damper body?

johnfelstead
26th April 2004, 18:34
you are going to say what fitting next, i can feel it in my water. :D

DaveW
26th April 2004, 20:13
John,

Just tested one of mine, which is sitting upstairs, and there is about a 3mm gap all-round between the threaded section and the fitting. So I can't see it catching during normal use.

Dave.

johnfelstead
26th April 2004, 21:14
Hi Dave,

so there is a spacer that sits between the helper spring and main spring?

Steven
26th April 2004, 21:16
John, i know what fitting:p. Will do your test tomorrow night, and the car is now dropped on its wheels so i can roll it back into the garage, so i can put the engine back in (woo hoo).

Left the ride height adjusters as they were supplied and just dropped it (long day today), ripped the bloody arch rubber off (what a muppet) both sides.

Anyway, getting to the point, i quickly jacked it back up and hand turned the spring seat, and could see the collar between the 2 moving up without the aid of twisting it round the damper.

Does that help, or do i have to do the felly humour test still;)

Steven
26th April 2004, 21:17
yeah there is john

johnfelstead
26th April 2004, 21:42
cool, i couldnt see it. I saw a setup last week that had the spacer going solid on the thread, this was chewing up the thread and the helper spring was not going solid. Always good to check these things. smile.gif

CraigH2
27th April 2004, 15:53
Compared to the AVO kit, they are unbelievable in the qualitySo's a rusty dustbin. Not knocking the AST's, just wouldn't use AVO's as a toilet roll holder, let alone as suspension smile.gif

Can't find the photo to explain why unfortunately

Steven
27th April 2004, 21:03
craig, i heard about your problem with avos when i got mine. done over 30000 miles with them, and plenty of drag arcing runs. For the money, they were alright, got them as part of the froup buy.

Adamantium
28th April 2004, 14:01
adam M
slooby
christianr
mr. j
duncang
gregk

am going to try to find out if they will offer the deal on 6 sets as interest is slow.

DuncanG
29th April 2004, 13:57
Sorry, but I'm going to have to postpone this for a while. Going to have urgent & expensive house repairs (dry-rot).

-&gt;
adam M
slooby
christianr
mr. j
gregk

Adamantium
29th April 2004, 15:44
thats ok.

looks like its doomed to me anyway :(

Slooby
29th April 2004, 19:01
Well I'm still keen, particularly if we can get some of deal on the set up offered to Conrad, that's exactly what I was looking at getting done!

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 08:25
me too.

antilift kit at the same time.

Don't think I need the roll bars though.

Tim, when would you be ready to do this?

Slooby
30th April 2004, 12:51
Errr, 3 working days to transfer enough money into my account? Oh...I've just be paid! So, now :D I can transfer the money later ;)

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 13:06
I want to sort it asap, but Can't bring myself to do it before the top mounts arrive, especially now that I have found out that my curretn suspension is sub standard due to two bushings on the front struts which have worked loose.

I wish mrt would get their act together!

johnfelstead
30th April 2004, 13:28
why are you changing the top mounts Adam? STi stock are prefectly adequate for a road car.

DaveW
30th April 2004, 13:31
Adam,

You could always just get STI top mounts (next day from GrahamGoode) and then at a later date fit the adjustable ones.

Thats basically what I'm trying to do when I get round to fitting the AST's, test them with standard top mounts then if further improvements are needed I'll get some mrt adjustable ones and accept an increase in noise (even the bushed top mounts increase noise over standard ones).

Dave.

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 13:51
yeah I heard that too.

I wanted to go for top mounts as they allow over 4 degrees of castor which improves steering feel, some thing that I am more sensitive to and keen to increase.

johnfelstead
30th April 2004, 13:57
i wouldnt wait, you are complaining about the handling yet waiting around for MRT, who are quite frankly hopeless at getting stock out.

Your STi top mounts work well, the ALK will add some castor, with the other changes your car will be transformed. I think you should change the bars at the same time too, it will sharpen the car up enormously and compliment the coilovers.

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 14:10
I am not aware of what the standard bars are!

Was plannign to fit solid drop links to make better use of the existing bars.

With regard to labour, I am a little strapped in terms of cash so would rather not do it all at the same time.

Is there any advantage time wise to doing it all at the same time or is it cost effective to do them together?

edited to add, I haven't been driving the car much to be honest john so waiting hasnt been an issue. Have not been appreciating the car just getting my snagging list sorted and getting it as close to perfect as possible. paintwork done, now interior done too. Fifth gear is now what it should have been, all trim should have proper screws in place to prevent all rattling. Phil has also noticed what needs to be done on the suspension which adds to the list.

All this in preparation for when other engine goes in.

[ 30. April 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Adam M ]

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 14:14
Just for ease of reference:

A full suspension kit as fitted standard by us to the Type
Impreza, consisting of an
AST full adjustable coil over suspension kit,
antilift kit,
front and rear 22mm anti roll bars,
solid drop links
Cost 1193.00
Labour to fit 160

4 wheel alignment (bump steer mod - already have) 120

Sub total 1473.00

Vat 257.78
Total 1730.78

johnfelstead
30th April 2004, 14:35
standard bars are the same as an STi4 TypeR as far as i am aware.

You can always install the bars later, as they dont alter geometry, but the rest should be done as one go otherwise its another setup expense.

You are sending conflicting messages out Adam, you go on about having the interior well screwed down to make it a nice place to be, then stick MRT topmounts on that are going to shake the damn thing to pieces.

Make your mind up what type of car you want and build around that is my advice.

MorayMackenzie
30th April 2004, 14:49
Here here.

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 15:00
john,

point taken, but I am perhaps being vague.

I like the interior to be well screwed together because I am anal about that kind of thing. Even if it is no more solid, I know to know everything is correctly fitted, which is why I took it to barretts with access to the proper parts! Further to this, rattles from suspension etc are made less bearable when the car vibrates in sympathy with the road. I also had things like the window mechanisms serviced as they were running very slow and beginning to scratch the glass where some components had worn.

The car is less of an everyday car already. Has always had a harsh ride, but hasnt really been crashy. I think some of that can be attributed to these bushings being out of place.

I don't mind if it is a harsh ride if it feels well and sends all the right signals back to me behind the wheel. That is why I am not fussed about the top mounts if they improve steering feel, it is a worthwhile price to pay. The top mounts are not rose jointed solid mounts btw, they are bushed to some degree but I appreciate they will still affect the nvh.

I am less sensitive to play in the suspension bushings and so in that situation I know I would be better off not bothering with poweflex bushes.

If the roll abrs dont affect geometry and nor do the drop links then I will stick with just the shocks for now and see how it feels from there. If have to I will add the top mounts later.

Power station have echoed what you said already in that he antilift kit alone will add quite a fair amount of castor and that in itself may satisfy my need for steering feel without sacrificing a lot of nvh.

The fact is, until I test each change, I wont know what level of nvh versus feel I am happy to settle on.

It is a second car, so it shouldnt matter, but having said that I would like to be able to drive to the ring one day and not be worn out with a headache from the journey.

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 15:01
double post

johnfelstead
30th April 2004, 15:17
You want to drive the ring in this now. :D Thats gonna be entertaining to watch, let me know when you are going.

I honestly think, with the car you seem to want, the stock STi topmounts are your best option, they are very good at the job they do, much better than most OEM topmounts. I also find the STi spec suspension bushes work really well, they are not overly harsh yet do control geometries well.

Droplinks and bars dont affect geometry, i advise you to change the droplinks at the rear now though, as they are well known for perishing and introduce some slopyness into the ARB take up (ignoring their rising rate charicteristics which are a bit nasty too), which can give you false messages as to what the suspension is doing.

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 16:00
thanks for help.

will email mrt and hold off on the top mounts for now.

If they tend to perish then I am sure mine will have, will replace the drop links when situation allows.

Adamantium
30th April 2004, 16:02
ps. I have always wanted to drive the ring, why is that so funny?

it is just a normal road after all whch anyone can drive if they wish. I may eve study your video to learn it, or failing that, if someone can explain how to unlock it in project gotham racing!

DuncanG
30th April 2004, 16:05
Adam,
Which ALK are you going for? The 'comfort' ones I have still have quite firm bushes and very little if any added NVH. I havn't tried the standard one though so can't give comparison. Maybe someone else here has tried both?

What steering ratio do you have? Grade-A are selling new-age quick-racks (2.25 turns) at a very reasonable price. They need a hybridised UJ to fit the older cars, but that seems fairly simple to do.

Also tyre choice can have a huge effect on feel. I've just fitted a set of RE070s taken off a spec-C and the difference in feel and turn-in compared to my previous F1s is immense.

Duncan

johnfelstead
30th April 2004, 16:35
ps. I have always wanted to drive the ring, why is that so funny?

it is just a normal road after all whch anyone can drive if they wish. I may eve study your video to learn it, or failing that, if someone can explain how to unlock it in project gotham racing! Where did i say it was funny? i said it would be entertaining. I hope you do go, the place is very special and any petrolhead should go at least once.

Hopefully you do buy my Video, should be ready very soon after a lot of hard work. I think it will be very useful at getting accross the flavour of the place so you go prepared, thats the intent anyway. smile.gif Your last comment frightens me. :D We saw a few of the XBox brigade at easter, one nearly killed a biker.

[ 30. April 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: johnfelstead ]

Adamantium
1st May 2004, 08:49
lol, wasn't serious. You can't get any feel for the true speed of a bend on a computer game, but you can know what corner is coming next!

I know that when I got there in real life I wouldn't recongnise any of it.

Slooby
1st May 2004, 09:11
Duncan, the 22B already has the quick rack ;)

BTW, I think I may have found where to get some Group A top mounts from at sensible money!

Mr J
1st May 2004, 11:10
Can't you check if we could get discount of 5 AST coilovers...maybe we still could get a better price..

just sold my current coilovers so will be needing new ones :D

Already have ALK and 22m adj bars F/R..so wont be needing those

Jan

Floyd
2nd May 2004, 22:17
Adam

It'll be interesting to see if you can remember any bends from the computer game. I think I've done about 100 laps to date (in real life) but I'm still unsure in some places!!!

When do you plan to go next?

F

GregK
5th May 2004, 18:25
Any updates from Powerstation??

Cheers

Greg

Adamantium
6th May 2004, 08:01
not tried them as I know that rich who we need to contact, has been off sick. :(

TopBanana
6th May 2004, 10:47
Doesn't look so likely to go ahead now, but I'm up for it

Zoidberg
6th May 2004, 10:56
it is just a normal road after all whch anyone can drive if they wish. I may eve study your video to learn it, or failing that, if someone can explain how to unlock it in project gotham racing! Either complete the track day section, or win a race at the ring in xbox live (how I originally unlocked the track).

Adamantium
6th May 2004, 12:18
adam M
slooby
christianr
mr. j
gregk
jlanng

GregK
11th May 2004, 20:45
Evening All

Does anyone know if we have an update from Powerstation yet??

Cheers

Greg

Adamantium
12th May 2004, 12:34
I should have contacted them greg but have been too busy and have not thought about picking up the phone.

I am reluctant to go begging to them on the basis of not getting the numbers they really wanted, but if you want to have a word with them, please feel free.

I am a little short to be able to go ahead with it this minute anyway so the delay suits me. I appreciate this isn't the case for others, but I would perhaps have different enthusiasm if I had my car back.

sorry.

please call them and find out, if you are dead keen.

Simon_
12th May 2004, 12:45
You still not got the car back Adam?

seems to be taking it's time.

Adamantium
12th May 2004, 13:42
I know.

its not barretts' fault. One of their technicians had booked paternity leave, an after the car was finished it turned out the new baulk ring needed replacing, so the box has to come out again.

Am still really looking forward to getting it back.

GregK
12th May 2004, 18:32
I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they can offer for the numbers we have. I'll post an update tomorrow evening, so fingers crossed all...

Cheers

Greg

spider
12th May 2004, 20:38
Greg/Adam,

I know we're supposed to use STi top mounts on the front, but what should we use on the rears?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but after 80,000 miles I'm starting to get a knock from the offside rear suspension turret (I think) and have been considering uprating the suspension on my UK98 saloon for a while.

If we need new mounts front and rear, can PowerStation supply them too?

Cheers,
Steve

Adamantium
12th May 2004, 20:47
I dont think they supply top mounts, though I have never asked them. It is entirely possible that they do. You would do well to get some sti ones as apparently they offer a good compromise with regard to compliance.

If they dont sell them, you can buy them very easily.

Adamantium
13th May 2004, 14:51
ok, I am back in the game fully after sorting out some money issues.

count me back in meaning we have 6 peole interested once again.

Hope this is enough for dirk and rich.

ScoobyTJames
14th May 2004, 08:01
Any idea when this will happen?

May be interested in a set.....

Adamantium
14th May 2004, 08:39
If you can put your name down for a set then that improves our chances of it happening at all.

750+vat for the shocks, is that reasonable to you as at the mo we are short on names and the closer we are to 10 the more likely they are to go for it.

David_Wallis
14th May 2004, 08:49
Having looked at these and been out in stevens car I would say they are a bargain, geometry isnt done, wheels rub (dont ask) but initial impressions are good (as a passenger)

David

Steven
14th May 2004, 09:13
As david says, the geometry isnt set up yet, wheels were rubbing due to this and the ride height being wayyyyy too low.

Changed to my 17's as a temporary fix, until i get the tracking done, and raised the ride height to where it should be, and even though the tracking is out, i am still impressed.

Going round corners the car stays very flat, a failing of the avos, and there is no bounce on rough surcfaces/bumpy roads.

I currently have the dampers set on approx 2/3's stiffness and it feels almost right for the road, perhaps a little adjustment for day to day stuff, and it will be perfect.

Even though the spring rates are low by comparison, the dampers more than make up for it IMO.

I am not very good at describing how suspension feels or works, i just know that i am very happy atm, and i am looking forward to the time i will be able to push the car on.

I have just been cruising about, due to running the car in, but can still go round corners at the same speed as before, say 60mph, i am just not approach or leaving at faster speeds.

I have allsorts of other things to take into account, but one things for sure, the hype about the suspension is justified in my opinion, based on my somewhat limited tests.

Steven

David_Wallis
14th May 2004, 09:50
my only concern is that if the car 'feels' flat then is it going to be less progressive should it decide to break away or do a 360.

David

Steven
14th May 2004, 10:37
think that can be addressed once i have time

David_Wallis
14th May 2004, 11:11
Yeah.. dont lift off ;)

Old Trout
14th May 2004, 11:16
I would say what Steven says having been out in his car.

I want a set too - although may have to order them sooner rather than later!

Trout :D

Adamantium
14th May 2004, 13:51
david,

if you want in on this, then we have 8 names.

I will ring up today to see what they can do.

let me know.

GregK
14th May 2004, 19:59
I spoke to Rich yesterday - didn't get chance to post cos of work stuff. The upshot is that we need 10 names for 750 plus vat; for 7 the price will be 800 plus vat, so come and let's get the 10!

Cheers

Greg

PS - I don't want to wait too long either as my shocks are now 90,000 miles old and showing their age!!!

Wally
14th May 2004, 23:09
Has anybodu read "my" article in Japanese Performance about the AST coilovers that are fitted to my MY 00 Classic ?

Wally

Adamantium
14th May 2004, 23:50
no, can you give us the low down?

Wally
15th May 2004, 08:37
Here is the mail that I send to JAPANESE PERFORMANCE, it's printed in the MAY issue in a slightly different form...

Hi all,

I'm Wouter from Belgium, lucky Subaru owner and reader of Japanese Performance, for the articles and tech talk.

The reason for this mail :

I recently bought an AST coiloverkit for my Subaru (classic shape, MY00 Impreza Turbo, 220bhp standard) , because I'm a dedicated "Nurburgring" driver and found that the original suspension is great on roads, but a touch too soft for the really fast track-work.

So I've contacted AST, a dutch company, making coiloverkits (very suspicious, they look almost the same as Spax-kits ?!?)

When installing the kit, it was also WAY TOO HARD, almost impossible to drive, especially the rear that was rock solid, with almost no damping at all !!!

After complaining about clunking noises (I'm surprised that you never had them...) I was invited to the factory in Holland for a checkup of the system. I also asked if they could do something about the hard rear-dampers.

They "softened" the rear damping then and installed different springs front and rear.

I started with 70 kg front, 50 kg rear with the ride of a concrete block.
After the visit it was 60 kg front, 45 kg rear with a much smoother ride and more damping at the rear.
I must admit that I only drove the kit on the softest setting on road use.

Now, with many evenings spending on setup and alignement try-outs I ended with 50 kg front and 45 kg rear.

The damping is 15 "click" adjustable, with a ride from 1 (normal) to 15 (track use).

With the latest setup (50f - 45r) the ride is jiggly (like a GT3 !!!) but acceptable, only when I go very fast over big bumps, I jump a little out of the seat, but therefore I have 5-point harnesses.....but the big advantage is that the car is now more connected to the tarmac, with the original suspension, it was more "floating", with little feel what's going on under the wheels, of course, this is a European suspension, the STI items (like yours) are much firmer I've been told.

After my first Ring-visit this year, I will try out 45 kg front, 30 kg rear just for compairason if this would be better.

Overall, the coilover kit is now almost as soft as a standard car with Eibach springs so there is no advantage, except that I can change the damping and ride height (good for corner weighting...), I can also make better alignement because the coilover kit was designed with "sleeves" for a better camber adjustment....

I must say that AST was very helpfull and provided me with all the help I could get, spare springs, and so.....

The occasional "clunk" in the rear is a well known Subaru gizmo and I'm used to it now, turn up tha radio or drive faster (clunking noises occur only on low speed-rotten tarmac and potholes...)

But If I knew this from before, I will never had bought such a kit, it's just too much work to setup properly.
Praise God that I have a VERY good relationship with my local Subaru dealer, so that I could use his ramp and tools.
Also, the AST compnay is only an hour drive for me, so ordering spare parts or different springs is no problem.

There is another good point on having a coilover kit : because I can now set the camber to 2 front and 1.5 rear, I can use racing tyres and go faster on track without ruining my road tyres...

Final advice for everybody that is interested in such a coilover kit : buy some piece of kit from a well known manufacturer that has put his time in development instead of making the thing look good on a brochure !!!!

Strange ending : After my last visit to AST I received a lettre where they told me that my garantee was cancelled because I ride my car on track (Nurburging) and my setup was "custom-made" and they can not predict how long it will last, very strange, because they used original AST parts....

If you want more details and pics, do not hesitate to e-mail me,

Regards and keep up the good work with your magazine.....

Wouter (Wally....because you UK-guy's can't speak out my name correct, :D )

Adamantium
15th May 2004, 10:00
I wonder if you would have been better with the powerstation kit as they have chosen their own set up.

Maybe you should try their spec as I am yet to see a complaint, and from some pretty good authorities.

Wally
15th May 2004, 12:06
How do you mean ?
I bought my kit last year in October, way before Powerstation was busy with the type 25 suspension (I presume).

Anyway, all the problems are solved now, Ring-driving was never better, also tyre wear is much reduced (escpecially that understeer-killing outer-edge wear...)

Wally

Adamantium
15th May 2004, 18:04
I am suggesting that their valving and spring set up might be worth copying since everyone praises its ride and improvement in handling.

Wally
15th May 2004, 18:08
Yeah, problem is that I live in Belgium and Powerstatiow will not mail their setup to me I think...

On the other hand, it would be great to have a meet at the Ring with somebody that has the suspension on his car and wants to compare with mine.... :D

Wally

Adamantium
17th May 2004, 10:16
losing momentul here and not too pleased about it.

I think we may have 7/8 depending on trout.

for the sake of a 50 saving the grief isn't really worth it when it comes to getting everyone together at the same time to say that they are part of the group buy.

Bit annoyed that they wouldn't do 100 for 7 of us.

I bet most people end up just paying 850 and going for it anyway as this looks to be too slow for most.

Can everyone give me an indication of their readiness to pay?

Mr J
17th May 2004, 14:39
end of the month for me

Mr J
17th May 2004, 14:42
btw What is the standard spring rate they offer ?
I know they have one road and one track setup.

Jan

TopBanana
18th May 2004, 14:10
Ready now.

The road spring rates are around the 180/225 mark F/R from memory. Just about right in my opinion

GregK
18th May 2004, 22:03
Ready now too...........

Cheers

Greg

GregK
24th May 2004, 21:26
Evening All,

I'm sorry but I am withdrawing from this group buy - I can't wait any longer to get my suspension sorted....

Cheers

Greg

Adamantium
25th May 2004, 09:33
you aren't the only one and for the sake of a 50 saving, I don't think its really worth it anyway.

You could probably walk in there with cash and get the same deal! :(

good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Zoidberg
21st July 2004, 10:33
so people who have bought these, how do you find them??

David_Wallis
21st July 2004, 11:14
in the wheel arch running vertically between the body of the car and the hub.

TopBanana
21st July 2004, 12:05
I've went out in the Powerstation demo car with AST's fitted and it was awesome. Great ride too

MorayMackenzie
21st July 2004, 12:39
David, LOL. smile.gif

Steven
21st July 2004, 15:06
LOL at DW

Christian, they are quite good. I am about to change the rear springs on mine as the original ones are too soft.

Will see how they go at TOTB3, if i run

DuncanG
21st July 2004, 17:32
Steven yhm

Zoidberg
21st July 2004, 17:59
Originally posted by David_Wallis:
in the wheel arch running vertically between the body of the car and the hub. Very amusing Mr. Wallis!!

Mr J
27th July 2004, 10:05
Originally posted by Steven:
LOL at DW

I am about to change the rear springs on mine as the original ones are too soft.

Will see how they go at TOTB3, if i run Steven What did you get ?? 40Nmm and 30Nmm ??
What are you changing to ?

Just about to get a set and don't like to buy new springs again.

Also did you standard top mounts ?

Anyone know were to get Group N ones ?

Jan

Steven
27th July 2004, 10:15
Jan

The kit arrived with the 30Nmm ones, which is what they convinced me to go with. I now vae the 40mm ones to install before Saturday.

I spoke to them and said i wasnt happy, as with 2 people in the car sat down too much. PS set me the replacement springs next day, free. I still have not sent the original ones back.

I have the standard top mounts.

I would also advise getting some camber bolts for the rears.

Steven

Adamantium
27th July 2004, 10:39
interesting.

Steven, without two people in the back, how is the ride quality and more importantly how is the grip and handling?

Steven
27th July 2004, 10:44
Adam, its excellent, other than it being a bit too soft for the wagon (and the saloon IMO), the soft springs just allow a bit too much body roll.

The feel is excellent, far smoother than the AVO's, and no bouncing.

I set a new record on my test corner yesterday, and its not because the old engine didnt have the power, i just didnt feel confident, with the AST's i did.

Grip is very good, and directional changes are predictable.

Steven

Adamantium
27th July 2004, 13:10
do you expect the roll to be removed by the stiffer springs?

are you concerned about the effect on the ride?

would you say you are an aggressive driver, ie. grab the car by the scruff of the neck, or a more smoothly does it for sustained progress.

And finally, if you couldn't change the springs, would you still recommend the shocks for their money?

Simon_
27th July 2004, 13:12
would you say you are an aggressive driver, ie. grab the car by the scruff of the neck, or a more smoothly does it for sustained progress.
He drives it like he stole it!!!!

Adamantium
27th July 2004, 13:22
I should have guessed that from his tarantino appearance! smile.gif

David_Wallis
27th July 2004, 13:30
cornering and braking is allways smooth, steven has a very different approach to cornering than I do.. I like a little more fun and erm.. well yeah.. it doesnt get 'provoked' like mine does :D

He accellerates like he stole it but thats half the fun..

David

Steven
27th July 2004, 13:46
Adam, it gets driven how i percieve something of this nature should be, when the time is right.

The springs should aid the roll a little, although i am more bothered about the squat that the current ones give, as i like to run the car at a lowish ride height.

I am also going to move the antiroll bar onto the hardest setting to aid the roll.

If i were running standard wheels and tyres, not the 225/35/18's i have at the moment, then they would probably be fine, to a point. Due to the additional width of these tyres, and the softer springs, they snag the arches a little, but that is more my fault than anything else.

I used to be a very aggressive driver, but that went out the window with my car accident.

I do probably drive hard, yes, but i vary my driving style quite a lot, and so far the setup suits the variances.

I try and corner smoothly, as i think it looks better, and feels better, none of this rash mid corner adjustment like DW seems to enjoy, but then he is about 5 years my junior.

I dont like cutting corners to straighten out the road, even on dual carriage ways, for 2 reasons, 2 school mates lost their lives this way, and i regard it as more of a challenge to stay in the lane you are in.

I have a piece of test road that will judge in my eyes, any fast road suspension. Its a dual carriageway, that has 1/4mile straight after a 40 limit, then a series of s bends for 3/4 mile. I will tell you where it is on Saturday.

I have had cars sit with me, well relatively, until i have got to the s's. I set my new record yesterday evening of approix 140 on the final bend, with only a mild hint of rear skip.

I think the new springs will be an improvement for me.

If i couldnt change the springs, then i would still buy the shocks.

David_Wallis
27th July 2004, 13:57
driving round that s bend doesnt bother me in the slightest smile.gif I can carry 100 round there smile.gif Not with a full tank though.. god that upsets the car!

I was thinking as coming around it, I think people come around that corner either covering the brakes or breaking enough to make the front bite the rear lift and then the slight change of direction again results in hedge smile.gif not to mention the shallow / grove / dip which looks like a magnet for standing water.

Steven.. rash mid corner adjustment is for amusement and is probably safer than cornering at 140mph tongue.gif

I dont like cutting corners to straighten out the road, even on dual carriage ways, for 2 reasons, 2 school mates lost their lives this way, and i regard it as more of a challenge to stay in the lane you are in.Fair enough.. however If the road is empty and you are doing xx speed.. to stay in the left hand lane around some roundabouts involves a lot slower speed.. using 1.5 lanes (ONLY!! If it is empty) results in crossing roundabout at xxx then that is fine IMHO.. crossing the whiteline on single carrage ways is something I rarely do unless pissed or overtaking. Going 'around' roundabouts in two lanes is different... only acceptable when:

1) stealing lanes
2) deliberately cutting someone up
3) going sideways around a roundabout..
4) doing all of the above whilst traveling home from work in rush hour traffic.

David

Simon_
27th July 2004, 14:03
I do use the opposite side of the road when it is safe to do so..

If the roundabout is clear then I will straighten it out..

it is often nice to see further around a bend.. travelling over the white line allows you to see further around the bend.. especially on the quick to manuover bike.

Mr J
27th July 2004, 15:26
Jan

The kit arrived with the 30Nmm ones, which is what they convinced me to go with. I now vae the 40mm ones to install before Saturday.

I spoke to them and said i wasnt happy, as with 2 people in the car sat down too much. PS set me the replacement springs next day, free. I still have not sent the original ones back.

I have the standard top mounts.

I would also advise getting some camber bolts for the rears.

Steven Thanks Steven smile.gif

Will get 40 's then and camber bolts, been thinking about it but never done it..

Jan

[ 27. July 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Mr J ]

Wally
27th July 2004, 17:28
So what spring rates are used now ?
I'm going tomorrow to the AST factory (I live in BElgium ... :D ) to repair some damage...
Strangely the front right is completely knackered (damper shaft had about 5mm of play in it !!!!)
Also litlle clunks from the rear that must be sorted..

I keep you updated..

Wally

Adamantium
28th July 2004, 07:39
thanks for that reply steven that's exactly what I was after.

Question for me is do I consider the ASTs (cheap byu the sounds of it for how good they are) or see what ScoobySport has to offer. I think the safest bet is to sit on the hedge and watch my wallet.

I have never adjusted the height of any car I have had but I suspect it would benefit from sitting a little lower.

It tends to roll too much on the standard set up, but I hadn't considered using anti roll bars to compensate for that as I don't know enough about the different effects of fiddling with such things.

Last thing I want to do is make it more oversteery, though saying that it feels fine at the moment.

I don't have a problem with arches at the moment, but then I haven't pushed the wheels to the limit of their travel since fitting the 255s. I suspect it will still be ok, but always have the option to reduce to 245s or even 235s (standard) if necessary.

The spring rates would be a concern to me, but I guess I am only going to find that out by trying a few different cars.

Since this is the second car, I rarely if ever have people in the back so I suspect this may affect my decision. I do want it to be comfortable, but going round corners fast is always my main goal.

Will have to wait and see.

and btw. I always stick to my lane unless its very very late at night and I feel like straightlining the odd roundabout.

I pretty much never overtake on country lanes which means never crossing white lines.

I asked because I wanted to gauge how much loading you put on the suspension.

I tend to be the smoother driver who does his utmost to put as little input into the steering wheel as possible.

Floyd
28th July 2004, 13:10
Any chance of getting a guide price out of SDB for the proposed Scoobysport set up? I just don't want to wait around for something that will be too expensive for me anyway.

I was convinced that I would go Leda until AST came along. I can't keep waiting for the latest and greatest system but I do want to see if there are any teething troubles like Wally has had (but as I have seen how Wally drives :eek: then I'm not suprised ;) ;) ;) ).

F

Wally
28th July 2004, 20:41
Went to the AST factory today, excellent after sales service.
Front right had play in the damper-shaft, the other three I brung along for a check over.

Gave them to the mechanic at 1pm, he called at 3.30pm, in the mean time I had a nice drink in the centre of Eindhoven.

All four shocks were fully "hauled-over", refilled, new seals, regassed, the whole mik-mac.

I had also a chat with him about damper and spring combinations, but he leaves on holiday so we will continiue this in September.

I stick with AST, I have put them on my car this evening and even with all four wheels pointing wrong (also changed camber bolts front and rear, tracking bolts rear and two front uniballs) the car feels very stable and fun to drive...

Wally

johnfelstead
28th July 2004, 22:15
You dont have to wait for scoobysport Adam, i can put you in touch with the engineers who setup the Prodrive PWRC suspension, i have been working with them for the last 8 weeks building a car at their workshops.

They can make you a setup based on budget, anything upto 5 way adjustable damping if you want to spend silly money ;) 2 way would be more sensible for you though. (each way is damping adjustment type such as high speed bump, low speed bump, high speed rebound etc. not the number of adjustment clicks!)

These guys are the UK importers of Ohlins and are full time profesional race/rally suspension engineers, currently engineering cars in the BTCC, British GT championship, Production WRC, Le Mans etc.

I could have them make me up my own spec of damper/spring package specifically for road use if there was demand to warant me looking into it properly. They will cost more than AST though!

Paul@Zen
28th July 2004, 22:17
Can I just to the driving style debate, not to try the patch of ground to the right of the road when entering roundabouts, wreeks havoc with the handling....

My rebuilt Leda items are better than ever now car is fully set up, the knocking from rear is 100% gone with the new tweak they do. The ride is very good (for what it is), although I am on 16s which suit the UK roads better I think.

Paul

DuncanG
29th July 2004, 13:53
I'm having some teething problems with ASTs on my legacy. I don't think PS have the spring selection properly sussed yet, particularily in relation to travel and bump-stop length.

Also the adjuster at the fronts sits too high above the top-mounts so that when the top-mount is at metal-metal on bump (see previous) there's no clearance to the bonnet. That might just be a legacy issue - I don't know. I'd suggest anyone with them check the clearance - it needs to be &gt;7mm when static. I now have a packing washer under the top-mount to give more clearance.

My initial reaction is that they are optimised for smooth roads. Powerstation disagree but so far they don't work for me on Scottish B-roads. I'll try a 3rd spring selection this weekend.

Mr J
3rd August 2004, 11:02
Steven

how did it work out with 40Nmm @ the rear ??

Jan

Steven
3rd August 2004, 11:32
Ooo, new had something to report back.

The car is now far better, and still needs a few minor tweeks to set it up exactly how i want.

The 40 rear springs are a big improvement over the 30's. It got a bit of grief last night on a B road, and i never once felt worried about bounce, or the suspension being innapropriate for the road.

With the 30's on, this same piece of road felt unstable, and i was unable to make good pace.

Mr J
3rd August 2004, 12:32
Steven

Thanks smile.gif , i just hope that PowerStation did send me 40/40 now as I demanded that smile.gif

can't whait to get them...and my gearbox...wating for it just over a month now....

OT: but how is the ej257 and MY00 heads working so far btw ?

Jan

Adamantium
3rd August 2004, 12:36
steven,

how much has the ride quality been compromised?

Steven
3rd August 2004, 12:40
Adam, IMO it hasnt been compromised at all.

Jan, they were standing up to 1.6 bar on Friday Night and Saturday morning, but we couldnt push any more through them. Pat said, and it felt like it to me, that it was starting to get strangled at the top end.

I am now considering different heads.

Day to day driving, its an excellent package.

RSVR Racer
3rd August 2004, 14:39
Steven, will have some V5 cams available very soon :D

Mr J
3rd August 2004, 14:54

Jan, they were standing up to 1.6 bar on Friday Night and Saturday morning, but we couldnt push any more through them. Pat said, and it felt like it to me, that it was starting to get strangled at the top end.

I am now considering different heads.

Day to day driving, its an excellent package. 1.6bar will be more than enough was thinking of staying @ 1.5Bar @ the redline.. as I have stock rods and piston :D

Jan

DuncanG
6th August 2004, 19:50
I'm thinking of selling mine - anyone want them?

They are nice and smooth for fast smooth roads or moderately fast rough roads but not for fast B-roads or some Scottish A-roads for that matter. They can be revalved but it'll be a while before Powerstation are up to speed on that.

Duncan