PDA

View Full Version : Discussion away from Trouts 700/600/500 mile thread

UK500
19th December 2005, 10:43
[ 19. May 2006, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: AlanG ]

Slooby
19th December 2005, 15:20
Quite possibly Alan, granted the EVO I drove was a VIII and a pre MR model at that.

To my way of thinking the car had be mapped to get around emmisions hence the noticable step change between on and off boost.

I really didn't like the way it drove though, far to artificial compared to an Impreza, I think I probably enjoyed GranTourismo with my Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel more! ;)

john banks
19th December 2005, 17:48
T-uk and I tried an VIII MR FQ340 and thought it was ace, despite using the Unichip thing it was all smooth and the power came in very nicely and was smooth all the way. Need to get up to Sam's for a run in that. The 340 felt like a 2.5 with a 20G on it for spool up, or I think better than an EJ205 with VF34/TD05/MD304 type turbos.

We've been trying to find a Spec C to try to compare, maybe will need a trip down to Litchfield.

One place up here has a JDM, but it is on delivery miles and it isn't fair to test it if you're not ready to buy I don't think, and also you wouldn't want to rev it to 8000 on delivery miles either. The claim though was that it was better low down than the UK STI 2.5, although the spool up is slugged back on that for smoothness.

T-uk
19th December 2005, 21:11
UK car v UK car ,I would take the evo every time if I was not taking them any further than dealer add-ons. the steering was so sharp and the whole car felt smaller and more nimble than the MY06 UK scoob. the only things the UK scoob has going for it imo , is that new 6speed box :cool: , it being a bit cheaper to run for a daily car and easier on the eye both inside and out. I wish the MY05 UK scoob had got that new 6speed box.

my own 340bhp,coilover classic scoob is quicker but the evo comes bloody close and will pass an MOT and would probably only need the brakes done , they where going off and smoking quite quickly. I am told a decat and remap will give the fq340 around 400bhp from the standard turbo.

I think if the MY06 scoob PPP gives it 330ish bhp , the cars will be too close to call on track or a back road thrash , until the evo goes for the decat and remap , which is when the scoob needs a new turbo.

the spec-c should be closer to the evo for steering ect.

the big question will be what will end up the quickest easiest , a decat remapped clutch swapped fq340 , a 2.5uk with turbo swap to say a 20g with that nice box , or a decat remapped spec-c with it's shorter gearing but lighter car?

it will also be interesting to see how the head gaskets do on the UK with matched heads , when people start getting braver with the boost as I still do not trust the bores.

RSVR Racer
19th December 2005, 23:20
The Evo 8MR model was leaps and bounds ahead of the regular UK or JDM Vll's & Vlll's, the Bilstein suspension on this model removed the previously installed rattle your teeth out equipment and is very (English)road compliant.

The MR also has different cams over the other models which help. The 4G63 motor is a gem in terms of reliabillity,ease of extracting power and ease to work on.

Take an Evo be it Vll or Vlll, get an exhaust, induction kit and an Ecutek remap and you have 360-370 HP reliably. Not bad for Under 1500

Take an Vlll MR give it the same and you have over 400 HP reliably. Even Better for Under 1500

The Evo 9GT import only is even better, bigger turbo, but still so smooth.

I was so impressed I bought the company oops mean the car lol

john banks
20th December 2005, 11:28
The IX GT Mg compressor wheels are failing though so the import owners are getting the wheels swapped, but the GSR with 6 speed, AYC and only 20kg more weight sounds good with a slightly smaller compressor cover, 55 litre tank as well IIRC. Suppose on an import the frequent servicing is less of a concern since you don't need to use main dealers.

Richard.D
23rd December 2005, 13:36
A decatted and remapped Evo 8 (260 hp version) gives around 320-330 hp (limited by small hot side). While slow in a straight line, it takes a *very* modified Impreza to keep up with it on twisty b-roads. The thing seems to see into the future and simply does what is required to get it through the corners, all the while allowing maximum attack from the right foot. I loved it!

Different matter on track, but the active diff set-ups on the latest Evo's put them into a different class for road use IMO.

Richard

john banks
23rd December 2005, 19:42
Different class to DCCD Subaru?

RSVR Racer
24th December 2005, 14:31
Originally posted by Richard.D:
A decatted and remapped Evo 8 (260 hp version) gives around 320-330 hp (limited by small hot side). While slow in a straight line, it takes a *very* modified Impreza to keep up with it on twisty b-roads. The thing seems to see into the future and simply does what is required to get it through the corners, all the while allowing maximum attack from the right foot. I loved it!

Different matter on track, but the active diff set-ups on the latest Evo's put them into a different class for road use IMO.

Richard Quite right Richard, but the 10.5t exhaust housing off the later cars (or a makinen 6) are a relatively cheap upgrade to get them upto 370 ish. smile.gif

Conrad

Richard.D
25th December 2005, 13:08
I've only driven a classic with DCCD John, and the Evo felt more alert. Are the new-age setups much better?

Conrad - indeed!

Richard