PDA

View Full Version : I've lost my mojo :-(

Chuckster
10th February 2005, 16:44
Over the past 5 years I've had a jolly old time jobbing in and out of cars, driving one 'till I was bored and moving on. The 22B has been a rock the entire time, I'm still no closer to selling it than I was on the day I bought it...however...
Since the disspointment that was the 911 I just can't get excited about anything in the market right now...I've lost the passion that you need to buy a Ferrari (I can't bear the thought of the 'incidentals' which always add up (manifolds on 355, clutches on the 360F1, general wear and tear that bring running costs up to £2k a year))
Aston's and Maserati's are the same..
The M3 CSL would be incredibly hard to sell on..one year old and they've lost 33% of new price, dealers all hate them and come trade in the realised loss will be horrendous)
Audi S4 4.2 V8 is just about to be replaced, massive price adjustment looming...the 2.7 V6 is just a little old and potential costs are BIG
350Z and RX8 aren't 'special' enough
I just can't get passionate enough about anything to justify the costs involved...fcuk, I think I've grown up :( I've even decided against a sensible new Golf GTI because it's >£20k
Damn
Cman(I did like the look of the Nismo R34 in Evo recently though..hubba hubba...how many rear seats does a Skyline have?..hmmm)

Floyd
10th February 2005, 16:50
I have similar feelings too, not that I have the same gazzilions that you have to spend ;)

Driving the M3 was a huge dissapointment and everything else is tame. Fezza's and Astons are outta my league but I can imagine that they would be little used for fear of vandalism etc. I can't imagine that you'd risk them on track either.

That's why I've stuck with the scoob as it does so much for so little. There are lots of nice cars out there but there're still compromised too much for my liking.

I daren't drive a 911 after your experience for fear of shattering another dream :(

F

Chuckster
10th February 2005, 17:01
If you drive a 996 make sure you get off the A roads and onto some real twisty stuff...the car is really very good there...but frankly an Elise is just as much fun and much much cheaper.
If only I had a small penis I think I'd have appreciated the 911 more I'm sure..as things are though, I don't feel the need to overcompensate ;) :D
Cman

Zoidberg
10th February 2005, 17:47
lambo ?

Simon_
10th February 2005, 18:01
I think you should buy me a car and I'll tell you howe enjoyable the drive is smile.gif

I dunno how you can say you have grown up when you still have the scoob and travel to work on a bike!! smile.gif

You have grown up when you are driving a volvo only etc..

You are just being sensible..

I would love an Elise or Exige personally but I know they are not everyones cup of tea nor exactly practical.

Simon

chrome@home
10th February 2005, 18:04
AMV8? :D

V-Bird
10th February 2005, 18:14
I have an ABT VS10 Touareg... I was a little 'jaded' in the car dept. and so sought solace in something 'different'... 370+hp and 850+Nm is just a p!ss-take on the road... new £68k s/h £58k... bloody hoot.

johnfelstead
10th February 2005, 19:27
Try the new MY05 Spec C TypeRA Nurburgring edition chuck, it's the only new age scoob i have driven that i know i could really enjoy and live with after my RA.

If you buy one i'll throw in free lessons at the 'ring for a weekend, i would have to show you the way from the right seat too of course. ;)

Steven
10th February 2005, 20:51
S203?

johnfelstead
10th February 2005, 20:57
That could be quite nice too. the new RA is quite diferent to the other Spec C's i have been in, i like it a lot. :D

dnb
10th February 2005, 22:41
Sounds like Chuck needs to put those build quality issues aside and test drive a Tuscan ;)

Floyd
10th February 2005, 23:21
Or a Noble.

F

Chuckster
11th February 2005, 06:35
I was thinking about it on the way into work this morning. When I bought the 22B I had the biggest mortgage that a bank would advance against my salary, plus over £20k in unsecured debt. I saw the 22B and bought it without a second thought, leaving nothing in the bank versus emergencies....and I didn't even blink. One and a half months and 3,000 miles later the clutch went and I happily slapped £1k plus on a credit card.
Bugger, I am 'sensible' which = old.
Lambo Gallardo was looked at briefly, but Nicki and I both prefer the F355 to anything Lambo or Rari do today...from a purely aesthetic standpoint, and a car like that has to be from the heart.
Noble and TVR..both too fragile. I wish I hadn't discovered Pistonheads or I'd have had a Tuscan..as is though despite the passion the owners show for them the list of niggles is long, and the reliability of that engine has a huge question mark over it....Nobles are just as bad....they should have cost a little more than an Exige, not £50k plus with running costs to match (FFS the engine isn't that sophisticated..fecking Ford V6 servicing should be almost free!)
I will go out and try n rediscover the mojo though..CSL, F355, Elise and maybe Spec C/Evo test drives still to come. Ohhh but how about a lovely risk free 4.75% interest (less 40% tax)..it's soo tempting
Say you had £50k of savings = £1,425ish a year interest cleared. That would fund 8,656 miles of petrol a year for a 22B...holy crap! LOL
Cman

Simon_
11th February 2005, 07:28
How about another 22b and some tuning extra's??

Would be a shame to alter your 22B.. so buy another one, seem to be a few cheap ones about.. then have the engine removed and stored and a nice 2.33 fitted etc.. smile.gif

Chuckster
11th February 2005, 07:35
I know I may be shot for it...but I've found the power and torque of my car adequate to be honest. The suspension could do with some tuning for sure, but when I watch these tuning boys chasing the extra 35bhp and being off the road for months at a time, whilst I cruise along happily at 300/290 for the past 23,000 miles......I think I'll survive LOL
Maybe I should try and recapture my youth...get a 'G' reg Micra 1.0LX and use it to tow a Jetski like the good old days :D
Of course living in Essex doesn't make jetski ownership quite so tempting as when I was a Bournemouth lad...
Cman

Simon_
11th February 2005, 07:38
lol.. you could take it down South End..

So you want something a bit more prestige and pretty looking.. the 911 should have fitted that bill.. hummmmmm....

How about a Supra smile.gif you could have a Fast and the Furious moment?? lol

Have you driven a 993 Turbo?

Floyd
11th February 2005, 07:42
Ohhh but how about a lovely risk free 4.75% interest (less 40% tax)..it's soo tempting
Say you had £50k of savings = £1,425ish a year interest cleared. That would fund 8,656 miles of petrol a year for a 22B...holy crap! LOL
Cman [/QB]I'll take some of that, you going to point me in the right direction?

F

Chuckster
11th February 2005, 07:54
I am finding long legs and RHD 911's are an issue..993's are lovely cars. More raw than the 996 and more fun. They are still on my list..I *will* rediscover my mo-jo.
Cman
Floyd, it's easy mate. Get a job as a security guard when you drop outta uni and are kicked out of the house at 19. From there move on to become a banks vice president in derivatives trading. Piece of piss mate ;)
Cman

Simon_
11th February 2005, 08:02
A mate who had an old old 911 says the same that the 993 is THE 911 to have.
I know nothing more than that having never driven one.. enjoyed following a couple on the bike though..

Rhodie
11th February 2005, 08:44
What’s this chuck, mid life crisis! You have been spoilt by the 22b, the performance, looks, handling and overall feel of it. There is very little to touch it. I have a feeling you would be disappointed with the CSL, goes very well on track, but looks like an M3 and just has not got that explosive acceleration. On “b” roads the 22b would eat it. You know your Porches how about a GT3 RS? Or for less money a 550 Maranello? There are a couple of world speed record editions about (roll cages etc). 355, nope, no interest. AMV8 perhaps? Yep your right, boring init!!! Tell you what though; the water is the way to go.

Paul@Zen
11th February 2005, 09:03
If you want a "sensible" car may I suggest an EVO 260. I think they have 3 years free servicing right now, and all sorts of other enticements. You can if you like throw £2k and make it as fast as a MR320 no problem.

At the current price, I think (don't quote me) residuals are going to be very good.

Why you enjoy "new jap 4 door" ownership, you can concerntrate on getting your Mojo.

Paul

Simon_
11th February 2005, 09:28
Originally posted by Floyd:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Ohhh but how about a lovely risk free 4.75% interest (less 40% tax)..it's soo tempting
Cman I'll take some of that, you going to point me in the right direction?

F [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I think Chuck he wanted to know where you can get that high an interest rate??!

:D

Chuckster
11th February 2005, 11:03
Thanks Paul but definitely don't want sensible! :eek: We have a lovely little Audi A3 Sportback for that smile.gif
Thought about an Evo6 TME, but I've driven those and preferred the 22B, so don't see the point. A MY05 JDM scooby or Evo8 may be the answer...but again we come back to wanting to feel passionate about owning the car, and seeing an Evo or newage scoob on the drive would leave me feeling a little cold...I want *more* than *just* a fast car...otherwise it'd be easy, get a Radical and a trailer.
Hugh, the GT3 RS is too hard for fast road use..mk1 GT3 is probably ideal, but driving position in a manual 996 is hard for me...long legs don't work in them.
I think class A drugs are the answer.
C

Simon_
11th February 2005, 11:09
50k gets you some charlie!! smile.gif

TopBanana
11th February 2005, 11:26
I'm just the same. Can't really get excited about any cars at the moment.

Going to pick up an older Omega Estate for towing the RIB and going shopping in, and then maybe get something fun for the summer... 996? too flash. 993 - too scary (for me!)... Boxster S? too expensive for what it is I reckon.

johnfelstead
11th February 2005, 11:27
http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/spec_c_RA/02/01/06/imgs/top.jpg
http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/spec_c_RA/02/03/imgs/top_01.jpg
http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/spec_c_RA/02/03/imgs/top_02.jpg
http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/spec_c_RA/02/01/10/imgs/top.jpg
http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/spec_c_RA/02/01/02/imgs/top.jpg
http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/spec_c_RA/02/01/05/imgs/top.jpg

:D

Chuckster
11th February 2005, 11:31
I'm not the only one getting old then....I spy pictures of climate control in an STI RA advert!! FFS what is the world coming to, when I were a lad the RA didn't have leccy windows never mind fancy a/c LOL
Cman

johnfelstead
11th February 2005, 11:37
Mine did, STi5 TypeRA 555 WRC Limited.

You get the comfort (and the new Spec C TypeRA is a great ride with the adjustable dampers) and all the trick front/centre/rear diferentials, twin scroll turbo etc.

Try this particular Spec C version Chuck, i recon you would love it, its a car you can live with long term due to the adjustable suspension and sensible options, yet if you want to drive hard it's going to fly. (this is the car that set the new Nurburgring lap record for a scoob)

P.S they are only making 300 of these, rarer than a JDM 22B. ;)

TopBanana
11th February 2005, 11:43
Sounds good, but how much will it be worth when you get bored of it in 18 months' time? Oh my god, I've turned into my dad

TopBanana
11th February 2005, 11:44
Not satisfied with a new nurburgring record, Subaru are now chasing The World's Smallest Screwdriver accolade

johnfelstead
11th February 2005, 11:45
It's going to hold its value better than an ordinary Spec C. Not that this is a problem for chuck anyway based on his car changing habbits of late. :D

Simon_
11th February 2005, 11:46
Originally posted by TopBanana:
Not satisfied with a new nurburgring record, Subaru are now chasing The World's Smallest Screwdriver accolade either that or the suspension is very big?

johnfelstead
11th February 2005, 11:46
Originally posted by TopBanana:
Not satisfied with a new nurburgring record, Subaru are now chasing The World's Smallest Screwdriver accolade PMSL

Andy McCord
11th February 2005, 11:51
Raw Fun!!
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Objects/w604h413_00010487.jpg

johnfelstead
11th February 2005, 11:53
it's got bigger struts on it than i have seen on a scoob before. There are a lot of changes to the mechanicals on this car compared to the MY04 version.

Simon_
11th February 2005, 11:54
Originally posted by Andy McCord:
Raw Fun!!
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Objects/w604h413_00010487.jpg he already have the 600 version I believe.. :rolleyes: smile.gif :D

Chuckster
11th February 2005, 11:54
Andy, nice...I've already got a 2003 ZX636R though, keeping that one LOL
Cman

Simon_
11th February 2005, 11:55
posted at the same time as you Chuck.. doh!

Dark Blue Mark
11th February 2005, 11:55
That's a thing of beauty...

MB

Simon_
11th February 2005, 11:56
Can we turn this into a bike thread?

I think you should buy a blade chuck! smile.gif

Andy McCord
11th February 2005, 12:01
yeah good idea simon, 1 owner regularly pushed :D
Ideal for keeping fit

Simon_
11th February 2005, 12:05
Originally posted by Andy McCord:
yeah good idea simon, 1 owner regularly pushed :D
Ideal for keeping fit you cheeky fooker I wasn't talking about mine..
I meant a new one.. not my old hack! smile.gif

http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=y3nsn4&outx=600&oq=0

Andy McCord
11th February 2005, 12:19
oops :D

Adamantium
15th February 2005, 06:41
chuck, give cem a call can get some first hand experience of the 550 maranello.

Evo had a buying guide on them last/this month.

60k and residuals are excellent. Fun, fast individual and they make one heck of a noise.

I will always be a 355 man, you know that, but this is the more mature mans choice, plus you can try one without risking being burned big time.

As I said, speak to cem!

SecretAgentMan
15th February 2005, 06:45
Deffo 355, the most beautiful of the newer Ferraris out there.

However, an R34 is what you need C-man....or even an AMG...which would suit the (w)banker image. :D ;)

/J - long time mate, we miss ya.

Chuckster
15th February 2005, 07:09
550 is just too ordinary looking for me, a Ferrari is supposed to be flamboyant and beautiful..I'd want a Rosso one and they are very hard to sell on. Also the dealer sale price to dealer buy back price is at least £10k, so though the price seems stable and depreciation proof in reality there are quite significant running costs involved..F355 far more appealing to me in soo many ways.
R34 is also too ugly by far, R33 is lovely though..
Mojo avenues being explored are Boxster, Elise 111R and VX220 Turbo at moment. Porker there for practical reasons (dirty weekends away with Icelandic women, need to pack all their 'gear')
F355 now been discarded as it won't fit into my garage, and we don't want to move :(
AMG...nah, they are drag cars only..I made that mistake with the Audi S4 already once before...I'd get bored and resent the additional running costs compared to a base model.
I'm thinking I'll do a year in one of these cabrio thingies, save some money and have a loko at whats around this time next year...fcuk how grown up of me!
Cman

Slooby
15th February 2005, 10:29
350Z? I know it's a Datsun :rolleyes: but it is a cracking good ride... ahem ;)

I want one...

I also want one of the new Aston V8 Vantages...a lot :D

At least the 350Z is affordable though

Adamantium
15th February 2005, 10:45
chuck has already dismissed the 350Z, fair play.

I can see the dilemma.

I would say look for some really decent suspension for the 22B and enjoy that to make up for not finding something else.

Chuckster
15th February 2005, 11:13
In a years time the Gallardo prices should have stabilised, same with the DB9 and 360/355's
The arrival of the 430 and the DB8 this year should help matters.
Right now the supercar market is really volatile as there has been such a huge influx of models.
Waiting a year seems very sensible.
Cman

Zoidberg
15th February 2005, 12:40
what about a zonda ?

Chuckster
15th February 2005, 12:49
I don't want a mortgage..and I hate the Zonda's cab forward look.
C

Andy Tang
15th February 2005, 13:43
I was going to suggest a DB9, but it looks like you've considered that! smile.gif

Hope you are well! smile.gif

Chuckster
24th February 2005, 13:31
So much for sensible. Nicki left me alone for a week, took kids to her parents for half term.
Sunday night - Curry delivered, watched 28 Days later
Monday night - drive home route took me past Wilsons Lotus garage in Chadwell Heath, *just* avoided getting wallet out.
Tuesday night - Instead of leaving London on A13 to deepest Essex I appeared south bound on A20. Mere moments later I was in a lockup behind a garage in Tonbridge, where I sat in a car and later recieved a small slip of paper with the word 'Receipt' stamped at the top.
Weds night - I'm on PGR2 testing the new car.
Car turns up on March 5th.
Car is blue.
Lacks gold wheels, and a roof.
Mojo on the rise, 22B.bbs credibilty on the wain.
Rgds
Cman

Simon_
24th February 2005, 13:48
Please tell me this is her?

http://www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/images/vehicles/8826_473.JPG

Chuckster
24th February 2005, 13:54
Nope, afraid that has some credibility. I got a new model Boxster 'S' , as befits a wbanker.
C

Simon_
24th February 2005, 13:58
as I reopened the thread after seeing you had replied I was thinking "You silly idiot Simon he said it was Blue"

lol.. you spoilt the guessing game!

Nice, very nice..

Simon

SecretAgentMan
24th February 2005, 14:02
Porker again eh...pah! :D It's a proper limp-wristed (w)bankers car though, excellent choice mate! ;)

/J

Chuckster
24th February 2005, 14:04
Looked at the Tamora, and the T350T (which is prettier), but then spent some time looking at Pistonheads TVR forums and was scared off TVR again. From march TVR's come with a 3 year warranty, which will impact nearly new cars on the market now come resale, and servicing costs and frequency put me off.
Box is Cobalt blue, which is fairly bright. Lovely drive, I prefer it to the C4S as a package, of course probably biased by newness, but it's nice not to have left leg crushed against centre console, and enough room to turn the steering wheel without bruising my leg...kids have to be really nice to me if they want to go out in it.
C

Chuckster
24th February 2005, 14:05
Oi Sam! 2 boots in this puppy, can fit lots of drunken crawfish in when Nicki and I come visit you ;)
C

Adamantium
25th February 2005, 11:28
I hope you bought the new model boxster, and not the slightly older version whose residuals will surely be affected by the newly released version?

Chuckster
28th February 2005, 06:51
Aye mate. 2005 model...earlier ones didn't fit like the 911. New'uns have lots more leg room :D
Nice to go from being told there is a 9 month waiting list to taking delivery in 9 days at list price :D :D
Cman