View Full Version : Ring report w/e 13/14th

19th August 2005, 21:42

The trip started with a meet at South Mimms to collect Hoppy and Hoppy Jnr. A quick handshake and I suggested that we needed to get going immediately to fight our way through the slow M25 traffic :( It was bad but we managed to meet the rest of our group at Lakeside with plenty of time to spare. Another fairly quick introduction and we were off… to the petrol station 10 minutes later and we finally got on our way. The M20 had specs cameras and we didn’t have any Road Angels but we did have two way radios, so some warnings were exchanged and we all slowed down. An all clear was shouted after the next specs gantry to which I replied that there may be another section, good job too as there was!!! Hopefully we have avoided the unpleasant letter…

At the Chunnel we could have taken an earlier train but hesitation lead to us having to take a later one. This gave us time to get to know each other and take a few pictures with an employee at the terminal. He had thought that we would all get some group pictures with his car so he could get some publicity shots. Unfortunately, he also thought that we were driving BMW’s lol. No matter as it was a small misunderstanding with Steve and he saw the funny side and he was ok with the situation. The first problem occurred when a driver couldn’t find his passport :eek: He decided to go home – what a bummer. The rest of the group went on to the waiting area, when out of the blue he turned up by taking the chance and getting a friend to post his passport over to him so he could get home – result.

In France the group split into 2 so that convoys at the first petrol station, so that smaller groups could be kept together better. Our group consisted of Simon, Floyd, Paul and Hoppy and we decided to cruise fairly fast but under the expensive type ticket speeds. The roads were quiet and they got even quieter as the night went on, which meant we really made progress easily. Unfortunately in Belgium somewhere Paul’s car ran astride a roadwork’s sign that had fell in lane 3, which got sucked up at speed and spat into the path of Simon’s car and then run over by Floyd’s. Simon didn’t realise what it was at the time but just heard the loud bang as it hit his car.

The Sat Nav’s in Simon’s and Paul’s cars guided us on our chosen route up to the point where the bridge we needed to cross was being repaired – arrgghh! I guess the Germans paid for the unhelpful detour with 4 noisy scoobs roaming seemingly every road in the village at 1:00 a.m. We eventually found the Hotel Webber and filed into the car park to be met by he owner. He told us that our rooms were in another Hotel not too far away… By this time Simon had seen the damage to his car that the sign had made (spoiler, fog cover, headlight bonnet, and mashed wing) and this was the last thing he wanted to hear of course. I could see everyone getting agitated and I told everyone that this is normal and I would go and find out where we had to go.

The other convoy turned up at this time and more confusion erupted. I grabbed some directions and lead the convoy to the new Hotel, which was a good 20-30mins drive only to find that it was closed. Simon was just about ready to get his pitchfork and organise a mob to burn and pillage (understandably) when the doorbell was found and the proprietor and his wife came to meet us in their night-gowns – bless ‘em. I grabbed the first set of keys and just went to bed as I’d had enough and I had planned an early start to get some good laps in.

It was hard to get to sleep though as I was still buzzing from the trip there. Somehow I must have drifted off only to be woken in the night by a cockerel outside our window. This can’t be happening. Simon’s alarm went off at the designated time and comically it was a cockerel noise too! We got up and grabbed some egg butties, coffee and orange. Paul met us and we decided to get down to the track but we were a bit surprised not to see anyone else up. We just thought that everyone else was dog-tired and would meet us later at the track. Still, we weren’t going to wait after we’d made the effort to get ready so early.

The Ring car park was empty and we had time to buy tickets and check the car’s over before the first run. The first day was a re learning experience for me after a break of 2 years. I had to play with the tyre pressures and AST settings to get the right feel. It is hard to build confidence whilst thinking about the freshly modified engine, the gauges, the corners, the passengers, the traffic etc etc. So although the new AST was an advance on the OE set up from the last trip it still didn’t feel quite right. A trip in Paul's (Pavlo) car confirmed that it could be better. His car was a surprise with his new coil overs performing remarkably well. The AST in comparison had plenty of grip in the bends but didn't feel as well tied down. There are differences between Paul's Type R and my UK of course, plus he had different geom. wider, lower profile rubber but his car felt really sorted and mine was strangely nervous in certain places. Simon just got on with things and seemed far happier straight away with his laps. I think that he is much quicker and more confident than me when it comes to driving fast. I tend to start really slow and build it up lap by lap, where Simon can hop in and drive fast from the off.

I was amazed that I remembered where the track went but I couldn’t get to grips with the braking points and gear choices. There wasn’t anyone of note to grab and help me learn the track again either. One lap found me chasing a new 5 series, which I thought was going to be easy meat. It wasn’t. I latched onto the Beemers bumper and followed the lines that were exceedingly good, which went a long way to reminding me of how it’s done. I came along side him under the gantry and got the thumbs up so I returned the favour – great! Simon caught up with the driver in the car park and discovered that it was a 535d with 400lbft as well as a driver who was an experienced ringer, so no shame in that then.

That first day saw me passing and being passed by all sorts of machinery including a mean looking SLR that I just had to put my foot down against. He still shot past of course but hopefully not quite so embarrassingly, only to get some serious air on the next rise – major respect due to that dude. I caught him though… at the exit queue and had a quick chat. Nice.

Passenger’ing in Paul’s car was an experience as you’d expect with 500BHP at his disposal but unfortunately he lost 3rd gear half way round. I also took some rides in Simon’s car and I also took Richard out for his virgin lap. Simon was more confident than me and he was quick out of the box. I enjoyed taking Richard around for his first lap; it was fun seeing his face and reactions to my barked commands but he did really well. I hope he enjoyed it as much as I did. This day was marred by a couple of closures with the second lasting what seemed like 3 hours.

We found an out of the way restaurant in Adenau where we all met up and had a great time that night. Fergus joined us at the meal and the banter was fun and light hearted with bread rolls being thrown around as usual. I had to have the peppered steak as I just can’t seem to find the same in the UK :(

When the track dried on the second day I needn't have worried that I'd made a bad choice with the AST. After I'd sorted the tyre pressures and upped the damping and re learnt the track, the handling was magic. I could really start having fun and I was getting huge confidence in the chassis. The high profile Toyo rubber at 205 on 16's isn't the best but still showed similar grip to the Felly set up I'd experienced and raved about before. Most corners could be dealt with minimal squeal - none of the screech and sliding that I'm used to. Wet laps were a different matter though and the Toyo's were hopeless, plus I sh1t myself at the sight of rain anyway. I had a lap following Curly who had an M3 CSL, he said he was going to take it easy – if that was easy then Gary doesn’t wind up Scoobynetters! It took all the power of my brain to keep up with him but at the end he got out and I was reminded that he had a cast on his leg – doh! I took a lap with him and those cup tyres certainly grip. The engine sounds like a Banshee on heat and the SMG would make anyone change gear like Schuey. It's easy to see how they go fast so easily.

I slotted some EBC Ceramic red's in the AP's beore the trip and I was a little worried about pad deposit. They didn't even show a hint so I conclude that the bed in surface does the trick. They squeal when bedding in but they seem to have quietened down now. In action on the Ring they performed well and I didn't feel under braked. No fade either. The only caveat is that they need a couple of prods to get them warm, especially after a hot lap where they can feel a little soft in the first couple of corners. On the way home there was torrential rain so the brake cooling was exceptional and this meant I had low bite and general softness - this is the exception I believe (the brake cooling ducts being operational didn't help either).


Sunday started wet, very wet. Arrived at the track before it opened and as soon as the red light went out we were off in Floyd’s car. Floyd as he mentions is not over confident in the wet (a good thing probably) & two laps later we were back in for a go in my car. I had used Floyd’s laps as sighting laps and with the PS2’s on my car and a lot more confidence in the cars handling we upped the pace a little. I could see Floyd breaking in the passenger foot well at points around the track but hopefully I did not upset him to much & he repaid the favour a little later in the day with a late brake in to Schwalbenschwanz! The track had a lot of standing water all around but it was surprising how much grip there was out there. After 2 laps with Floyd I took Simon (Rizla Man) out for a pax lap. I think he enjoyed it and he did comment that he was not a good passenger but that my lap was nice & smooth (did he mean slow!!!) I felt a bit sorry for him & his group as it rained for most of the day so they got very few laps in. After Simons lap I took John & Adam out for a lap. Adam commented afterwards that there is not much support in the back and starting behind his dad he ended up behind me :) Parked up after 4 laps on the trot & went out with Floyd again. We followed Fergus for a bit of a lap until Hoppy & Evan passed us & we followed. Hoppy jnr is very good in the wet and he found the wet lines very quickly. It was rather strange following him around and it felt un-natural weaving along the road, almost as if most bends were taken as under braked and too late a turn in. It is hard enough to remember the dry lines without the added brain tax of it being wet.

We filled up with petrol & went to lunch with Hoppy joining us. The track had started to dry a little and had become very greasy. Even my tyres & car we struggling with the lack of grip at this stage so I was hoping for another downpour or a quick drying track. By 3pm the track was almost dry. Bikers were starting to go out although there were not many left. The track was so quiet with most people not bothering so we could get good fast laps in without much traffic. It started to rain a little again but only in the car park and for the first 1-2k of the track. Talking to some English bikers they asked for a pax lap. One jumped in with Floyd & one with me while 3 others followed on their bikes. This lap & the 1 immediately afterwards were probably our fasted & smoothest of the weekend. 2 of the bikers fell back just after the start, though 1 treated us to a nice wheelie. The other stayed in front for a few km’s until he waved us through & he was soon a distant memory. I followed Floyd for the first lap & half of the second. We each took a different chap out after the first lap and the two with me could not believe the grip, brakes & acceleration that the cars generated. Both commented that they would keep a better eye out for cars now & let them past. Both laps ended with thumbs up down the finish straight with Evan & Hoppy on the last lap making a 3 scooby rapid convoy around the whole circuit. We suggested 1 more lap, Floyd with me & Evan & Richard & one of the bikers on his machine but alas it was not to be, the red light came on & with 10 mins left of the day there was no way that it would re-open. This was imho not a bad thing as people have been bitten by the 1 more lap bug & we were all on such a high from the previous 2 laps.

We awoke Monday & set off for home at 9am. The weather was awful, torrential rain with standing water & spray a big problem especially for Floyd who was following me. As we were staying in Altenahr the route we chose was up to Bad Munstereifel across to Blankenheim then to the E42@ Prum. Belgium saw a pee break then petrol after Luik. We stopped here for ½ hour to have a sandwich & stretch our legs and when we rejoined the motorway we both gave it a big bootfull to get up to speed. Good job we then lifted as a Belgium motorcycle cop appeared in the rear view mirror, pulled along side & had a good hard look in to my car. He then speed off & proceeded to do the same in Floyds before carrying on up the motorway in an erratic style. We kept our eyes on the road and made no contact with his trying to give the “Us? Do something wrong? Never?” type of look. We concluded that he was on the look out for radar jammers, good job the RA’s were left @ home. The weather improved as we hit Belgium & France saw sun and increasing temps. Motorway all the way to the Chunnel, so boring. Floyd suggested a higher speed but we decided to keep around the 90mph. Good job as 50k before the Chunnel a police car was parked on the centre of the slip road spotting for his ‘mates’ 2k further down the road at a rest stop. We stuck dead on the speed limit the rest of the way. Checked in & ½ hour later went through customs and on to the train. The Chunnel is so easy to use and Steve giving us a discount code helped the price (he paid £80, us £100 as we booked a fair bit later, still a bargain though). Off at the other end and on to the M20 / M25 / M1 for the journey home. Door to door the mileage was 430, which we did in 9 hours including ½ hour dinner, ¼ hour sorting the car at the 1st petrol stop as we left the hotel & the train crossing. A good w/e all round with some of the best laps so far for me and probably Simon as well. Roll on the next trip.

F & S

[ 19. August 2005, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Floyd ]

Hoppy Snr
20th August 2005, 12:45
Great reports, guys smile.gif

Just for completeness, I've copied my report from the other thread to collate them all here.

Anbody else got summat to say? Would be nice to hear from ya ;)


Confessions of a Ring Virgin & Son

Cracking weekend and a big tick in the Must Do Before I Die box. Fantastic place; great atmosphere; some incredible cars.
Really good to meet old friends and new faces. Thanks to all who made it happen.
I am a shite driver.
Evan 'Hoppy Jnr' walks on water.

My old mate Floyd alerted us to the trip. We've been friends for ages after an SIDC karting enduro where my son Evan and I teamed up as Floyd's Fairies. A couple of years ago we were set to go to the Ring together, but I had to drop out and Evan went with Floyd in my place. They had a ball, so I just had to go this time.

It's a long way to the Nurburgring. We left home at lunchtime on Friday for the 3pm meet at Dartford and 6pm Chunnel crossing. It's about 350 miles to the Ring from Calais and takes the best part of five hours, even at 80-100mph motorway cruising. Steve had hired radios for us all to keep in touch, a great idea, and Simo kept us entertained with his banter, such as "What are you guys listening to?" Pavlo: "My gearbox." That wasn't the last he was to hear from his gearbox, either. On the motorway, Simo in the lead ran over something big, flat and round which managed to take a tour inside his wheel arch, smashing out the fog light (which Floyd then ran over) and wrecking the wing. It could have been very nasty but that turned out to be the total damage with suspension and brakes untouched. Later Floyd managed to miss some deer but bagged a mouse on an otherwise uneventful continental blast. Our hotel was further north than the rest of the pack and we got very confused with German maps and road signs. Fell into bed at about 4.30am local time. Note to self - must get sat-nav.

We got up on Saturday as soon as we woke up (late) to a gloriously sunny day, and rushed off to the track after I had made a panic phone call to a florist to deliver a bouquet to the Missus on our 22nd anniversary. (Phew! That was close!) Well, not rush exactly as the narrow mountain roads allow no overtaking and German drivers stick religiously to 50kph. But we got a chance to admire the scenery which is mighty impressive with craggy cliffs, thick forests and vineyards terraced to the sky on impossibly steep slopes. Real chocolate box stuff.

We arrived at the Ring late morning, and it was busy. Jam-packed, actually. The car parks were full of amazing machinery. Some were mainly for show (Ferraris and Lambos) and others for serious pedalling (911s) plus a sprinkling of real exotica - Ferrari F430, McMerc SLR, Merc nineties concept car (name anyone?). Was that a Le Mans Ferrari racer we glimpsed briefly - a million quids worth or a kit car? Respect to the guy who took his new 4-door Bentley Continental out for a thrashing.

The Scooby crew were talking excitedly, most having had a lap or two. After a nervous chat, it was time to get serious. With my heart in my mouth, I handed the keys to Evan, figuring that he needed to get to know my car which he had not driven before without L-plates and that was three years ago. It is also a bit different to his own transport - a classic Mini Cooper. But he had some circuit knowledge having done maybe a couple of dozen laps as a passenger with Floyd two years previously. On the other hand, I had no idea which way the first corner went and that's kind of important to find out before you arrive there at over a ton.

I knew Evan was a good driver, having spent a few years karting as a Junior, and beating anyone who was anyone at some time along the way. This was a bit different, though. The Ring punishes almost any mistake with a visit to the barrier. To be fair, he took all my threats and warnings very well and politely heeded my pleadings to "lift!" and "brake!" and "go steady!” and "oh shiiit!" He knew every corner instantly, all 150 of them, and did a good job right from the start. I was impressed, and wondered how the hell I was going to do anything like that. So I elected to stay in the passenger seat for a while longer, trying desperately to remember what corner followed next. I managed to guess where the Carousel was, but the rest was a bit of a blur. Meanwhile, Evan just got faster and faster if a tad ragged at times. He always had a tendency to 'over drive' his kart now and then, but here he kept the racer in him at bay, well almost, and steadied the pace. He denounced my car’s handling as crap, too soft and rolly even with Prodrive struts, and true enough even a good road car set up is no match for the Ring. Nevertheless, this was going to be a hard act to follow but now it was Time To Lose My Ring Virginity. Gulp.

This was going to be tough, and I needed all the help I could get. I also knew Evan would just revert to either laughter or abuse if I got things a bit wriggly, so asked Floyd if he would hold my hand in the passenger seat. He did a brilliant job, with excellent and precise instructions, praise when I got a corner right, praise when I got a corner completely wrong, warnings when other cars arrived on my tail from nowhere, and 100% encouragement all the way.

But it was all to no avail. I was crap, felt nervous and a bit intimidated, and generally quite relieved to be coasting down the finish straight in one piece. All knowledge of the few corners I had memorised had vanished, I could not see any of the turn-in or apex markers which are obvious to anyone with half an eye, and crapped myself when, approaching a blind corner at serious speed, Floyd said "just nail it and head for the sky straight ahead." I was lucky and guessed it was a right-hander coming next. Thank fook for that.

I've always been hopeless at learning circuits (it took me half a day to learn Bedford for Chrissake) so, putting pride aside for a while, I elected for a bit more learning from the passenger side and Floyd hopped into the driver's seat of his own car, a UK00 Classic like my own. Floyd is good. He's a smooth and rapid driver, he knows the Ring pretty well now, his car is fast with 330bhp-ish, and his new Power Station suspension was delivering on its promise. He was loving it, absorbing more of the Ring's endless intricacies at each turn, and really getting on with the job. The odd 911 with a good pilot forced him to yield, but we went past everything else. Except the SLR. It appeared in the mirrors like a jet and I don't think the driver had to lift before ripping past us, going maybe 150 to our mere 100mph. Can it have been that fast? It seemed like it. Anyway, after blasting past, the SLR took briefly to the air - literally - and vanished a couple of corners later. We caught up with him again in the queue to leave the circuit, a silver haired German who clearly knew more about the Ring than most. He declared himself to be very happy with his new toy. Lucky b’stard.

I was still in learning mode, and spotted an empty seat in Paul I-forgot-my-passport Pavlo’s monster. It was a chance not to be missed and indeed it was a truly memorable lap, and for all the right reasons. His car started life as a mid-90s Type R, I think, but there’s not much of that left. Main features are a 2.3 motor running around 500bhp in its current guise without the laughing gas, a dog box sadly without 3rd gear, and some superb suspension whose brand I forget but costs £2,200 and is worth every penny. Oh, and Paul can drive. He’s another ex-karter of some pedigree, plus a bit of previous Ring experience.

We catapulted up to the first corner at a speed which left me breathless. First gear is just an explosion and a clutchless change into second no less ferocious, then there’s a lurch when Paul rams it into fourth before the torrent of power returns to slam your helmet against the head rest. You can’t help but laugh – this car is just comically quick, and not just in a straight line. It turns and digs in really hard, with almost no body roll. Even on regular road tyres, this car has stunning grip. Just as Floyd’s car is a big step up from mine, Pavlo’s handling is in yet another class above. It’s a real shame that 3rd gear was missing as that’s maybe 40% of the Nurburgring, but Paul did a superb job without it. I was particularly impressed with the power he was getting well below 4,000, given that massive turbo. With 3rd gear in place and maybe some track day tyres, Paul would give that SLR a damn good run. Helluva car from Zen Performance.

The afternoon was now in full swing and the track very busy. One ten minute lap would take around 40 minutes after queuing to get on and off the circuit, which was frustrating. Then the inevitable happened and an accident closed the track for an hour or more. And then when it re-opened, and equally predictably, dozens of eager drivers and bikers went at it too hard and closed the circuit for yet another hour. Before we knew it, the day was gone and I’d done just one feeble lap. I was well disappointed, but beer, a big steak and a good rabbit with a dozen mates is a good cure.

After another late night, on Sunday we opened the curtains to leaden skies and heavy rain. My heart sank and, cursing in the pissing rain, we changed my knackered old tyres, which are fine for dry laps, to my regular road wheels with nearly new Goodyear F1s. They are good in the wet and I reckoned my softer suspension might suit a slippery circuit a bit better.

When we arrived at the Ring, the place was a sad and very damp transformation. The swarms of cars had gone, the queues had gone, the Porsche drivers were not laughing now and most of the bikers had simply done a runner. Most of my bottle had also gone with them. But Evan was completely undaunted. The rain was hammering down but such is the confidence of a good driver, he knew the wet would suit my car better and he was going to prove it. Who was I to argue? He was keen and I was chicken. “Don’t worry dad” as he leapt behind the wheel, but I bloody well did.

We headed off the start with the throttle flat, following a ball of spray from the car in front that concealed everything. Oh God. With zero visibility, somehow we got through the first few corners. Then Evan accelerated up to the guy’s bumper, he duly indicated to let us by, and the helter-skelter ride really began. At least we could now see where we were going and Evan announced that he would “try some different lines.”

It soon became clear that the boy knew what he was doing and that his wet karting lines, as they are known, were working brilliantly. Basically, this means leaving the normal racing line completely – because it’s thick with rubber and greasy as hell – and making a kind of S-bend of each turn to stay on the clean tarmac. You can’t do it at every corner and unless you know what’s going on it just looks like the driver has out-braked himself and has had to turn in very late but these conditions were ideal for it.

After another couple of laps I realised that we had an unbeatable package. The wet weather forced Evan to drive very smoothly and his track knowledge was growing quickly, his karting lines looked weird but they worked a treat, the car’s softer road suspension was much better suited and the deep-treaded F1 tyres were hanging on really well. Plus we had 4-wheel drive and a really torquey 2.5 motor. I stopped worrying as we wriggled around the bends and drifted all four out of the apexes. I didn’t know it was possible to squeal the tyres in the wet, but it is. Ferraris were soaked in our spray, 911s humbled with surprising ease and the only thing that got past us was the Ring Taxi. That is a specially Ring-modded M5 with 500bhp and an expert at the wheel (don’t know if it was HER or not) so that’s no disgrace. In fact it was great to watch that monster being hurled around in outrageous style for a few corners, mostly sideways.

As the day progressed, the rain would stop, the track would begin the dry, then it would chuck down again. This happened three times before the sun finally broke through in the late afternoon and the track finally dried for 90% of the corners, only staying damp in the thick of the forest. And we were still lapping at a very good speed. The wet had forced Evan to drive smoothly and this style enabled my relatively softly sprung car to maintain its pace. If you don’t upset the suspension, it won’t wobble and weave in response. It also keeps the tyres cooler. Further help was given by lifting off in a couple of the really fast but almost straight sections, to give the car a cooling break; it means nothing unless you’re going for a quick time.

By now it was late in the day, the track was dry and, as fate would have it, Floyd and Simo were with us in convoy. Not racing of course, because that’s not allowed, but the pace certainly quickened. I can’t think why. Then we came across on old duffer in some ancient open-topped classic and he would not let us past. Bugger. Simo was on us and he also slipped through right on our tail. The rest of that lap was pretty hectic. We stayed in front with Simo and Floyd in hot pursuit, but it was clear that all three cars, while significantly different in many ways, were actually very close in overall performance. Maybe the difference was in the drivers?

We pulled in to park side by side, to cool the cars and give each other a good ribbing. That was fun! Let’s do it again. It’ll be a laugh!

Would it hell. Beneath the jovial exterior was steel resolve. This was going to be a race for sure. Well, I can’t speak for Simo or Floyd, but I know very well how Evan’s mind was thinking. In many years of top-level karting, he never backed out of a challenge. It’s his mother’s genes, I fear. For my part, as we rolled up to the toll gate it was not without some major trepidation.

There was a bike in front of us having trouble with his pass card. Hurry up, before they close the circuit! He got off and walked to the office, walked back and turned his bike around. What? But the day was ended and we’d missed that last lap by just a few seconds. As we regrouped in the car park, Simo suggested that maybe it was a good thing, being in gung-ho mood and all that. And yes, it was a good thing – good for Simo and Floyd who were going to get seriously spanked. And good for Evan and me because it was either going to be that, or crash and burn in the attempt.

There was more good steak, pizzas and beer for dinner, and John Felstead joined us. He’d been working the weekend at the race track next door. Good to see him again and Paul was especially relieved as John managed to wangle a way to get his car home. The abuse which Paul was forced to give the gearbox without 3rd gear had broken the gear selector and he was stranded.

John challenged us to a kart race at the Nurburgring’s indoor circuit next morning, but somehow it never happened and we went to the museum instead. That was impressive and well worth a look, provided you like an endless roll of honour for BMW, Mercedes and Porsche. I also made an important purchase – a Nurburgring sticker for my car. I might have only done one lap, very badly, but at least I’d done it, and that’s important. I’ve also sat next to my son for almost 20 laps of maybe the world’s most challenging circuit, and discovered that far from raising a lunatic racer who is a menace to everyone on the road, he’s actually a fine and mature driver with a level of car control I can only dream of. I have a few proud memories as a father, and this is another of them.

The drive home from events like these is always tough. It’s a bloody long way with nothing new to look forward to at the end of it (except the old lady, of course) just back to work. And the weather didn’t help. Sunday was wet, very wet, but Monday was, well, wetter than an otter’s pocket. Solid rain and fog. Horrible, Trying to make up time on the motorway, I managed to overtake a Belgian bike cop at 100-plus. I slowed and he pulled alongside for a good look, then let us go. Phew! I feared a big fine on the spot. I should have realised that only Belgian plod would wear a florescent orange helmet. We got home in the early evening with more than 1,500 miles added to the clock. Exhausted, but happy days, great days.

Best regards to everyone, and sorry that I couldn’t mention everyone else who made this such a great trip – I think this is long enough already.


Richard & Evan.

PS Simo, how’s that cockerel?

21st August 2005, 18:01
Would have been nice with veg & roast potatoes but the landlady would not cook it for me smile.gif Steve managed to shut it up the 2nd night, don't know what he stuffed in it ;)

21st August 2005, 19:13
I will "bang out" a report shortly ;)

21st August 2005, 20:29

21st August 2005, 20:54
I must admit to that last lap being very nervous for me. I knew deep down that it would be a race and competitive at that. I was a little relieved when we couldn't do it.


21st August 2005, 21:25
You mean the "race" against the yellow M3? I was quite happy to stay behind him until he sprayed us with mud from his scenic detour. I have no interest in racing anyone at the ring, and would have just slowed down to let him get well clear if he had started to play.


22nd August 2005, 07:21
That M3 driver didn't learn and I saw him up to the same tricks on later laps. Perhaps he thought the Ring was lane 3 of a motorway and he owned it? ;)


22nd August 2005, 07:30
Damn BMW drivers! ;)

28th September 2005, 07:15
Some pictures of the last Ring trip:
Firstly, a caring, sharing and thoughtful chap discussing Ring etiquette with ex kart champ:
A startled gent at dinner:
Falling a sleep while being talked at ;)
A scene from Delverance? ;) :D :


28th September 2005, 07:25

28th September 2005, 08:29
must have had a stroke that night....

28th September 2005, 09:02
nah, thats what beer does to you

28th September 2005, 09:14
Shush Steven, we're meant to keep that to ourselves for our own personal amusment when Paul's had a bevy or three ;)

28th September 2005, 09:17
As you can see by his glass, it takes less than half a bevvy to achieve said "state of paul"

Andrew Carr
28th September 2005, 10:01
Originally posted by Pavlo:
must have had a stroke that night.... I'd rather these discussion were kept to what you all did before retiring to the privacy of your own beds...

28th September 2005, 10:20

28th September 2005, 10:40
Originally posted by AndrewC:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pavlo:
must have had a stroke that night.... I'd rather these discussion were kept to what you all did before retiring to the privacy of your own beds... </font>[/QUOTE]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/FloydM/013_13.jpg

Looking at Fergus he was experiencing a Pavlo stroke @ mealtime :eek:

28th September 2005, 11:34
to be fair, I think I had only had a fwe mouthfuls of beer at that point, my nearly full glass is just visible. I don't need beer to be silly!

28th September 2005, 11:37
...just the wrong medication ;)

28th September 2005, 13:32
Originally posted by Pavlo:
to be fair, I think I had only had a fwe mouthfuls of beer at that point, my nearly full glass is just visible. I don't need beer to be silly! To that, Mark and I can testify. The return joruney from the 'ring could more than justify.

1st October 2005, 17:10

Had i really had that many cokes?? redface.gif tongue.gif