PDA

View Full Version : Setting fuel pressure .......

ScoobyTJames
28th February 2004, 21:51
Got the FPR and gauge (FSE PowerBoost) from the group buy going on at the mo (on SN).....

How do you patch the gauge into the system to set idle fuel pressure?

Do you have to T into the fuel line after the FPR or can you use the 3rd covered inlet in the FPR?

3.8bar on gauge is correct?

Cheers.

Simon_
28th February 2004, 22:08
Originally posted by ScoobyTJames:
you use the 3rd covered inlet in the FPRWith no vacumm line connected the gauge should be set to 3bar..

Simon smile.gif

Simon_
28th February 2004, 22:09
3bar is standard pressure I believe anyway..

I run 3.1bar but then I have a Link and it is mapped to that fuel pressure now.

Simon

ScoobyTJames
2nd March 2004, 08:48
...should have had a closer look at the gauge!!!! Did not notice the threaded adaptor!!

Thanks.

Simon_
2nd March 2004, 09:59
No worries..

Simon smile.gif

mef
4th March 2004, 08:58
"With no vacumm line connected the gauge should be set to 3bar.."

Are you sure that this is correct?

I set mine like this but Bob Rawle said this was wrong and reset it to 3 bar on idle, with the vacuum CONNECTED, with the engine hot. This results in a much higher pressure when it's disconnected (disconnecting the vacuum is equivalent to "0" bar or atmospheric pressure) and higher still under boost conditions.

Martin

Simon_
4th March 2004, 09:51
I believe that is standard pressure..

Well it was fine on mine when running standard ecu etc..

Was BOB not setting it high and then mapping the car to match Mef?

Simon

Andrew Carr
4th March 2004, 09:58
I believe most tuners recommend upping the fuel pressure by around 0.4-0.5bar over std.

I run 4bar at atmos (3.5 a idle) 'cos me friggin 550s haven't arrived yet :mad:

Andrew...

harvey
4th March 2004, 10:51
If your car is mapped to a particular pressure you cannot change the pressure now unless you want to use a pressure change to richen or weaken the AFR across the board. Big changes in fuel pressure result in small AFR changes.
Generally you are looking for 3.25 bar over boost pressure so at 00 boost 3.25 fuel pressure, 1 bar boost 4.25 bar fuel and at 1.5 bar of boost 4.75 bar of fuel pressure. Depending on your engine this might be around 3.8 bar with the vacum pipe off.
The FSE FPR should never exceed 5 bar so with a little bit of margin it is not intended for engines running at more than 1.5 bar of boost. After 1.75 bar you should certainly be using an SX FPR or similar, rated to 6 bar.
FSE regulators are available from Alyn ( info@asperformance.com (http://info@asperformance.com) ) for 95 delivered and Walbro 255 litre pumps for 100. (All part of the group buy I organised on Scoobynet). These pumps are also available from the US for 95$ plus delivery and duty if you don`t mind the hassle and good savings can be made on the much more expensive SX FPR from the States so that is worth the hassle.

Andrew Carr
4th March 2004, 11:41
I should have added that I have mapped for that fuel pressure.

Harvey, do you have a model number for a suitable SX Reg - 15402? Also any potential suppliers in the US?

Andrew...

[ 04. March 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: AndrewC ]

mef
4th March 2004, 15:02
Yes, It's true to say that this was the fuel setting advised by Bob for my engine spec, he mapped it accordingly after setting the fuel pressure as above( 3bar with the vacuum pipe connected). The engine is running about 1.5bar and peaks to 1.7bar on hard accelleration in 4th or 5th (front entry TD05 with 34mm air restrictor). I'm on standard Sti4 injectors with a big external Bosch pump.

Martin

jim.....
4th March 2004, 15:51
Since mine was remapped on the original pump and reg, having fitted uprated pump and doing the reg this weekend, should I set it at 3.2bar atmo, or 3bar?

Jim

Simon_
4th March 2004, 15:59
I always thought standard pressure was 3bar atmos.

Hopefully someone else can confirm?

Simon

johnfelstead
4th March 2004, 17:48
Jim, you need to set the presure at 3BAR with the engine idling fully warmed up and the vacumn pipe disconnected.

Stock presure is 3BAR atmospheric (about 2.6BAR with the vac connected at idle).

When remapping its often worthwhile increasing base presure as this helps the injectors work slightly more eficiently, hence why at the remap time the base presure is often increased to 3BAR with the Vac connected at warm idle. (gives about 3.4BAR atmos)

jim.....
4th March 2004, 20:08
Ta John, once I've sorted all the bolt on bits I'm going to give Bob a bell and get it remapped, the reason that I'm putting the reg on is that I think the bigger pump is slowly killing the standard reg as (ignoring figures) the plot from sunday is nowhere near as smooth as the one from WL last october! even with different figures the plots should look the same, and mine definately don't, so once this is done going over to see Pete for quick run to see if its made a difference to the plot.

Jim

Edited coz I had brain fade with the english language

Simon_
4th March 2004, 22:43
Really with a new pump and reg even set to the same pressure you should get a remap done as it will be throwing more fuel in as the new pump will flow more.

Unlikely to cause a problem as it will be running richer but might mean less power due to being too rich which might be why your power curve is different.

Simon

jim.....
5th March 2004, 07:14
New pump was fitted before last trip to WL, and the old reg has probably had 6k with it ramming fuel at it, so its about time a new reg was fitted.

Jim

Simon_
5th March 2004, 07:50
Yes but you said it was mapped on the original pump and reg?

Might be able to run more advance when Bob maps it? as fuel supply will be better etc..

Simon

jim.....
5th March 2004, 08:18
That's the plan, once headers and uppipe are done (waiting for Andrew to decide which uppipe he's going to use)then it'll be a trip to Bob for a new map. Should have the money to pay for it if I keep doing all this overtime. Also going to insulate as much of the turbo as poss, to which extent I've forked out for a turbo blanket kit, so this'll give the TMIC as much help as possible, tilting the intercooler so the rubber gasket makes a better seal improved things, plus cold air duct from bumper to filter has helped.

Jim

Simon_
5th March 2004, 08:51
Wondering about a turbo blanket myself but will probably be homemade.
Also adding cold air ducting and been insulating my fmic pipework etc smile.gif

Simon

johnfelstead
5th March 2004, 14:07
when you use an uprated fuel pump, the stock reg has problems flowing enough fuel to maintain the desired presure, so you get a presure build up and this obviously makes the car run rich.

When you replace the OEM reg with one that can flow enough fuel (FSE) then you wont get a problem in the flow rate keeping up so you will have a back to stock level of presure. If you set the presure acurately you wont need to remap it to have the same engine charicteristics (asuming you dont go over the power levels the stock setup was supplying eficiently).

Obviously to get it bang on you need a remap as you are bound to be out a small margin in the presure you set, but that should be in a safe enough zone to run the engine if its close to stock levels of performance. You could always set it .05BAR too high to guarantee you wont melt the engine until you get time to get the remap, but thats going to lose you a small amount of power and response.

mef
10th March 2004, 08:22
Just out of interest I noted my fuel pressure settings:

It's got 3bar (45psi) when idling hot with the vacuum pipe connected and goes up to 3.75bar (55psi) at 0bar boost. When the turbo is boosting hard the fuel pressure goes up to nearly 4.75bar (70psi). On a trailing throttle (high vacuum) it drops back to about 2 bar.

Martin

spider
11th March 2004, 10:51
Ok, complete numpty holding his hand up here! redface.gif

Can anyone tell/show me where the vacuum pipe that has to be disconnected is please?

I got the pump & reg in the same group buy as ames. I was going to keep them 'in stock' as there's no mods to the car other than K&N induction kit and a cat-free exhaust; however, I gather it's safer to have the uprated kit fitted anyway?

Cheers,
Steve
(learning more all the time!)

Simon_
11th March 2004, 11:07
The only vacuum pipe on the reg.. connected between manifold and reg. I believe it is usually covered with a blue thread type cover in the FSE kit.

Pull it off the reg and block the vac line pipe with your finger / a bolt etc.. adjust the pressure with the engine idling and then reconnect the vac line.

I might have a picture of my FSE plumbed in but not with the vac line marked etc..

The vac line connects to the FSE next to the adjustment nut/screw.

Simon

spider
11th March 2004, 11:24
Thanks Simon,

The pic of it plumbed in would be useful please.
I think you can tell from my posts that I like to get as much info as possible before I start a job - especially when I've not done anything like it before. smile.gif

Cheers,
Steve

Simon_
11th March 2004, 12:15
No worries, I am exactly the same, it is only now I am starting to just do things and then get into trouble and post "HELP" threads lol

I have since shortened the pipe to the fuel rail as I was not sure if I liked the location to start with but happy with it now.
Horizontal black pipe connection is to the pump and the other black pipe connection goes to the fuel rail.. the blue thinner pipe in the vac line

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=1713479&outx=600&oq=0

Simon

spider
11th March 2004, 13:24
That's great Simon, thanks for the pic.

It looks like your gauge has the air bubble in it, same as mine - that saves me ringing Alyn and making an ar5e of myself by asking if that's normal! :D

Cheers,
Steve

Simon_
12th March 2004, 08:01
lol, yes bubble in a water filled gauge is normal.

Simon smile.gif

jim.....
12th March 2004, 13:00
Simon, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that the fuel line coming out of the bottom of the reg (if it was sat upright) is the return to the tank? Oh by the way gauges are filled with glycerol for damping not water, have access to this stuff if people need gauges refilling as it can weep out over time.

Jim

Andrew Carr
12th March 2004, 13:28
http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/images/pbvfit.jpg

Simon_
12th March 2004, 13:39
For a minute I thought I had plumbed mine in wrong then.. so the pipe I thought came from the pump is the return to the tank and the other is feed from the rails.. makes a lot more sense now..

Sorry I should have said liquid then now water smile.gif

Thanks Andrew..

Simon

jim.....
12th March 2004, 15:19
Andrew do you just trawl the net looking for car bits and piccies, or do you actually do some work? ;)

Jim

Andrew Carr
12th March 2004, 15:24
I have a very long and comprehensive favorites list!

Andrew...

jim.....
12th March 2004, 15:31
Don't suppose you got one with "get off speeding quick!" somewhere! I think the next 3weeks could drag. :(

Jim

Simon_
12th March 2004, 15:33
Jim,

Oh no.. hope nothing too serious..

14days from today??

Simon

jim.....
12th March 2004, 15:41
Not really, 40ish in a 30, about 1/2mile from home of all things, still half asleep from the stupid amount of time in work the last 2 weeks, see "lancashire partnership" galaxy at last minute (parks just down from a bend so you have no time to see him as the guy sets the distance to get you as you come round the bend! know this as I've spoke to him about it) slam on brakes see speedo drop to 30, so don't really know what speed I was doing, but I'll find out the hard way!

Jim

Simon_
12th March 2004, 15:45
You might get lucky, you never know.

They have been doing similar the first Tuesday of the month on a road I use to work.. I am sure 99% of the people driving down there have no idea there is a speed camera in the van..

Simon

jim.....
12th March 2004, 15:50
If I'm within the "tolerance" I'll have the option of a driver awareness course at 85 or the points, I know which I'll be going for if I get that option.

Jim

Simon_
12th March 2004, 15:53
I got done on a Driving without due care and was told that... slapped 6points on me with no witnesses or anything or even talk of the course in court..

Simon :(

jim.....
12th March 2004, 16:01
That's ****. Typical money grabbers!

Jim

Andrew Carr
12th March 2004, 16:04
If you were doing an indicated 40 then it's very unlikely you were over the 37mph threshhold which AFAIK Lancs police operate.

Mind you with those tyres, you could have been doing 50!

Andrew...

PS. If caught use the Dwight Yorke defense - Sorry m'lord I didn't sign the form because I'm from Tobago!

jim.....
12th March 2004, 18:22
Do you think the "sorry mate I'm chinese" might help ;)

Jim

Simon_
12th March 2004, 22:15
Originally posted by jim litten:
That's ****. Typical money grabbers!

Jim 200 fine and court costs on top..

but anyway hopefully you will not hear anything..

Simon ;)