PDA

View Full Version : De cat downpipe and lambda sensor.

Strife
9th April 2000, 14:16
Hello.
I was thinking of replacing the original downpipe with a cat to a double head de cat downpipe.
I have heard the the lambda sensor is bolted in the downpipe.
if it's placed after the cat then would it not make snence that if i witch the downpipe and i'm running on higher than normal boost the ECU might cut mcuh sooner than it does now?
Also if this is not ture how do i go about in placing the lambda sensor in the new downpipe?
Thanks alot,
Rotem.

Mike Tuckwood
9th April 2000, 14:39
Ello mate.

What age is your car, early cars had the Lambda sensor in the exhaust, prior to the turbo.

Mine had what I origeinally thought was a lambda sensor i the down pipe, this was actually the "Cat overheat" sensor.

Not sure what year this chaged?

Mike.

Strife
9th April 2000, 14:44
Hello.
I thought it was always in the same place..
Well i'm talking about an MY99 and i gatherd that it's the lambda sensor in the downpipe.
Cheers,
Rotem.

Stef
9th April 2000, 17:40
Rotem.

Your new downpipe will probably have a hole for the Lambda sensor to go into, mine did.

Stef.

Firefox
9th April 2000, 21:59
Hello

The early cars did have the lamba in the manifold before the turbo..

I think they changed around 96'ish... After that they went to having the lamba after the turbo in the down pipe.

Only Jap cars have the cat temp sensor. It isnt required and most aftermarket exhausts dont have a provision for it, so you simply unplug it (near the air filter).

cheers,

J.