Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC-inspired track build

Whilst I was bolting bits to the engine, I wanted to get my turbo checked over for peace of mind. I bought it as a used unit from a member on GTROC a while ago, it had done 2k miles max. I delivered it to Turbo Dynamics for a health check.

The initial prognosis was that it was barely used, but then they fully disassembled it and the outcome was not good, and another lesson learned in buying used stuff. The turbine wheel had been catching on the housing, so the unit is largely knackered. That's more money down the drain, so I'm currently investigating whether I can upgrade to a GTX4088 which you can buy without an exhaust housing and use this from the 4094, or it's starting again with a whole new turbo, possibly a Borg EFR. It's another setback I could have done without, so I'll get Christmas out the way first and decide what to do.

Here are a few turbo pics of the damage:

On a brighter note the engine is starting to look the part, I've got the 8 injector setup installed, all the fuel pipes made up, and I'm just awaiting some fittings from Goodridge and Titan to finish off the Zen dry sump kit. I'm still trying to decide whether to swap out the Group N crank pulley for a harmonic damper, so the pulley in the pics may well go.

Here are some general pics of the progress:

I also bought an S8 a few months ago, which will be joined by a MoTeC PDM unit on a panel mounted to the dash bar of the rollcage. I'm also looking at a MoTeC control panel, which will sit on a box on the transmission tunnel between the seats, along with brake bias adjustment and extinguisher button so should all be close to hand.

Cheers,
    Rich

It is nice to see that you are making good progress Rich, excellent work as perusal.

What make fuel rails are you using and did you have any clearance issues with the right hand top fuel rail hitting the turbo to air filter hose ?

Just magnificent.

That's all. I'm off to lie down in a dark room

Your car is so clean it's almost offensive. Mental build dude. Awesome choice of mods, she'll be a proper weapon when finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Abs View Post
    It is nice to see that you are making good progress Rich, excellent work as perusal.

What make fuel rails are you using and did you have any clearance issues with the right hand top fuel rail hitting the turbo to air filter hose ?
    Thanks Abs, it's an APS setup and yes the clearance is very tight. I'd wanted to use a 4" aluminium inlet pipe but I've bought a Samco instead as it's a little more compliant. The Borg EFR has a 3.5" diameter inlet so slightly smaller than the Garrett, so would help with clearance in this area.

Disgustingly awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by frayz. View Post
    Disgustingly awesome.
    Nail on head there.

Different class.
    Sponsors for 2015

M B Developements.
    A.S.P
    Chevron motorsport.
    Whiteline.
    Owen Developments.
    Clark motorsport.
    Samsonnas.
    Mb Automotive.

Never ceases to amaze me .

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words. I'm recovering from spinal surgery so can't lift anything heavier than a cup of tea for a couple more weeks, needless to say the car isn't getting much attention! Plenty of planning going on in the background though, and I'm gathering parts ready for when I can work on it again.

The plan is to have the loom built in April, and mapping and geometry set up so the car is ready for the summer.

Hope your getting better dude. Planning in the background. Time on your hands..... that can be dangerous
    Last edited by seventune; 16th February 2015 at 12:57.

R: WRC-inspired track build

Do you use the Epas for your steering ?

R: WRC-inspired track build

Great scooby
    Very very nice car

Quote Originally Posted by bang View Post
    Do you use the Epas for your steering ?
    No just regular hydraulic

Hope you get better soon mate so we can see some more progress on this build .

Looking forward to see it finished.

Subscribed

Hats off sir she a stunner

Time for a bit of an update on this, I've been held up due to a very slow recovery from my back surgery and working on the car has been very hampered, trying to bend over working on the car has not been easy, even with the car high on sill stands. I'm making slow progress but it's definitely getting better, so I'm spending more and more time in the garage again.

A few bits have been happening in the background over the past couple of months, I'm still waiting for some major bits of the car to come back from suppliers then it's on to the last hurdle, the wiring loom.

After the issues I found with my Garrett turbo I did some research and decided to go for a Borg unit instead, I got on to Turbo Dynamics and they supplied me with an EFR 9180 which I'm very excited to try out and am hopeful for big things. I got them to modify the compressor outlet to 3" to match the rest of the boost piping. Here are a few pics:

It took a little bit of work to bolt it on, it was just touching the side of the injector housing so I've shaved this down, and the solenoid valve had to be removed from the compressor housing and I'll mount this elsewhere.

Not a lot of clearance:

I made a proper bracket to support the turbo, this mounts to three different places on the gearbox/block, I then had this Zircotec coated as it's going to get pretty warm.

Big thanks to Alyn at ASP for sorting out my power steering pipes, I was unsure about what to do for a long time but this solution is proper. I'll mate some Earl's fittings to the ends of these.

Finally here is the turbo mounted in the engine bay, I think it looks well...

I've got a custom radiator and intercooler being built at Forge Motorsport at the moment which will be ready in a couple of weeks, then I can finish the rest of the boost piping. I've fabricated a Group-N style removable bar at the front out of T45 for the rad/intercooler/oil cooler to mount to.

I'm in the process of fabricating frameworks for the door windows, and I've spent the last couple of weekends on the exhaust...things are taking shape.

Cheers,
    Rich

Stunning!
    Finchmotorsport 2.35, Syvecs, GT35R, MapDCCD, Bilstein, Whiteline, K-Sport

Looks smart!
    Team Monkfish Racing