Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC-inspired track build

mental work, a dream build. hope everything else goes well ..

Totally , totally, awesome built. I am speechless...

Quote Originally Posted by Subaroket View Post
    Totally , totally, awesome built. I am speechless...
    Thanks Ivo, yours has certainly been an inspiration throughout this build too. Cheers to others for their comments as well.

I've taken a bit of a different direction with the side windows, trying to fit the nasty OE surround over the poly windows wasn't going to be nice, so I've opted for a full carbon fibre sandwich panel in place...saves 2kg per side...the only thing I will need to confirm is whether I can get away with this for any future regs the car may need to adhere to...I'll hang on to the poly side windows in case. It would be a shame to have to modify these for the poly windows, particularly as they're strong as fook as they are.

Few pics:

Just a few pics of some more carbon fitted - the passenger side rear panel is in place, plus one headlight cover for now. Not exactly leaps and bounds but still good to see some progress...

Cheers,
    Rich

Epic build
    Litchfield Hawk Spec C white, Ver 6 Type R WRC Ltd, Widetrack Blob JDM Sti

Really great build! You might find on track having some kind of headlight is useful, with a simple momentary flash button on the steering wheel.

It's frustrating to catch people and find they don't see you, and in that car you will be catching a lot of people!!

what is that front splitter mate? love it and love this car so much, tempted to go white now.

What a brilliant build so far, clean and very professionally done! As i'm currently looking at buying a Type R or P1 to start a project this has given me some great inspiration to get started. If its half as good as this ill be over the moon, can't wait to see the car finished and hopefully soon in Time Attack in person. Great work Rich

What an epic build mate. I like it better than the RCM car since you're doing this yourself. You have convinced me to ditch my newage/bugeye build and move to a GC platform.

cheers

Has there been any progress on this Rich?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
    Has there been any progress on this Rich?
    Yes plenty going on in the background, engine build is underway but had major setbacks with the short engine I bought for this, which has culminated in lots of unforeseen expenditure. On the right track now though, I should have the engine back next month and will be cracking on from there. Can't wait!

was the short engine my old one Rich?

What were the problems?
    Last in an unknown series that no one really cares about and 17th out of 20 in the Connect 4 Championship Leverton Junior School 1975

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperSy View Post
    was the short engine my old one Rich?

What were the problems?
    Yes mate, but I appreciate it was sold in good faith. It's been a bit of a nightmare though really!

So where to start, well the main issue was that standard length rods were fitted, so the CR would have been about 6:1. I've replaced the rods with correct length Lateral stroker items, with uprated ARP 625 bolts and new ACL bearings. None of the piston rings had been gapped and were all standard, some were closed shut in the bore. They'd also pinched one of the oil rings on one piston when they inserted it, so it would have used oil.

The last issue was there was minor corrosion in one bore from where it'd been sat, despite it being wrapped in polythene and been inside since I've owned it. I've had the pistons re-coated which has taken them up in size fractionally, which has allowed a small hone of the bores to take place. During the process of honing they discovered that all the bores were tapered, some up to 3.5"thou, so it would most likely have seized. That actually helped us out as the corrosion was low down in one bore, so to make the bore straight they had to remove more material, and the water mark has gone.

All on the right track now though - blocks sorted, pistons re-coated, new rods and bolts, new bearings, heads all built up, so it's coming together.

Cheers,
    Rich

I'll update soon with a more comprehensive report on what's going on, but here's a mini-update in the meantime.

Progress has been a little slow the past few months, as I broke my collarbone back in March the day after the Caslte Combe sprint and had to have surgery and a plate put in. Got over that and now have a prolapsed disc in my back that also might require surgery, so it's been a bad few months but I hope to be back on it soon. The engine will be back in about a month from Finch Motorsport and I'm very excited to finally bolt that in.

Since the last update I've changed the wheels again, the CE28Ns were a little close to the calipers for comfort (1mm) and weren't the ideal offset, so thanks to Steven Darley and Chris Bennett, I've got these Advan RS, 10x18 ET25 which are a perfect fit and considerably more clearance than the RAYS. Had them reconditioned and all good. Now I've got the right offset I can fit 285/30 tyres under the arches too, so these are new Dunlop DZ03Gs which sit very well. I'm happy to have the wheel and tyre package finally sorted.

I sourced an STI Spec-C 2.25 turn rack, Alyn at AS modified the UJ for me and that's all bolted up to the WRC steering column and sorted. Also new OE front driveshafts, whether they stand the test of time is to be seen. I have ordered some fittings to use -6 lines for the rack, I'm thinking some high pressure Earl's ones with their steel fittings should do the job. Got a WRC power steering and header tank heat exchanger from Mikee, so no need to run a separate power steering cooler hopefully.

Last up I sorted a catch tank from AH for the dry sump setup, I didn't really want to use fittings as big as -12 for this, but I don't really like reducers so it will probably stay like this. Does the catch tank sit a little high? I might need to re-do the bracket I managed to make yesterday to allow it to sit a little lower. Although I'm not expecting the dry sump tank to breathe much either way.

Cheers,

Rich

Stunnin in every meticulous detail ;D

*cough*

Good god.. This is immense. Stunning

Awsome stuff fella. Cracking car.

I thought it might be time for an update on this, the project has been slightly held up but is still on track to be ready for next season.

I grabbed a few pics back in the summer with the new wheels on, it seems to house 285s all round pretty comfortably now that I've got the right offset wheels, the Advans also have way more clearance than the old CE28Ns did.

Fast forward a few months and the engine was collected from Paul Finch in October, thanks also to Lateral for supplying new rods, cams, vernier pulleys and a stack of other bits.

I got Paul to fit the Zen dry sump setup, RCM headers and the Exedy clutch, so that the engine was more or less ready to be dropped in. I was concerned about clearance between the clutch and the gearbox but thankfully all good.

Exedy triple ceremetallic in place:

The engine went in without too much fuss, I had to remove the offside front driveshaft as the wastegate pipe seemed very close, but hoped it would clear once the engine was in.

Engine in, with turbo in place to check everything still cleared. The dry build was a while ago!

I tried reinstalling the driveshaft but no go, I don't know how these headers fitted on the Gobstopper, but I presume their six speed box or front subframe assembly could have an impact over my setup. I chopped the wastegate pipe off and mocked it up with a bit of old rollcage tubing to give the driveshaft clearance.

I wanted to use inconel like the rest of the manifold, I knew the stuff was expensive and I was right, nearly 400 for this modification...

Not jealous in the slightess! This thread needs to carry a health warning, likely to cause extreme shock and awesome dizzyness
    One day this project will be finished