Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Track/sprint car in 365 days

Unlike Andy I havent the time to built a sprint car in 30 days so mines going to take a bit longer.Having sprinted my spec-c RA for the last couple of years my thoughts started to drift towards having a more dedicated car as the spec-c ticked all the boxes the thoughts of taking it further spec wise ment that I would ruin what was a rare car so I took the plung and sold it.I had an idea of what I wanted to build which was going to be a classic running newage 2ltr 6 speed etc keeping it light which would make it a very quick sprint car having seen Mikee's car down at the pod during the scoobysprint championship.I then thought about starting from scratch but when I priced up to buy a shell/strip/cage/paint it was going to cost and take longer than 365 days,as luck happened I found an RA 4 door shell already prepped seam welded painted at the right price so I bought that.

While I was up at a mates house he informed me that one of the rally lads that he competes with was breaking one of his subaru rally cars so I popped over and same again at the right price I bought his hydralic upright handbrake/ bias adjuster all the braided hoses all the braided fuel lines /fire extiguishers/seats and rails.With the car that I bought there was an out of date underslung premier tank bag which Im not going to use Im going to have made a purpose built 40 ltr tank in the boot with a sump running a bosh pump no need for a swirl pot or lifter pumps.1 of my question on this is what will be the best way to baffle this tank Foam? to stop surge and also the fuel sender to my origional clocks on the dash what would be the best way round this.Next question as i will be running an aftermarket ECU it will be running switchable anti lag and as such I will not be running a servo as where the holes in the bulkhead were have been welded up I will be going down the route of a floor mounted peddle box.Can somebody possible put me up a scymatic type drawing of the best senario for plumbing in the brake lines to include the upright hydralic & bias adjuster which will be mounted beside the handbrake I will be by the way still have fitted the origional handbrake for parking purposes only plus an MOT if I decide to put it on the road.

Looks a good starting point! are the RA shells lighter then say...turbo 2000 shells?

whats the advantage of seam welding? and where abouts is it applied on an impreza shell?

Regarding the tank I have designed and have built what you descride, mine is 50L and uses OE sender via OE tanklid.

I also have designed a similar 25L race tank with no fixings fo OE tank lid and uses a sight gauge.

If there is enough interest I can get some more made up, leadtime is approx 6 weeks

MSA Class Records Pembrey, MIRA, Llandow, Silverstone Stowe - class 1C, Goodwood - class 3, Hethel, Snetterton, Lydden Hill - class A6
    FTDs North Weald - September 2017, Simon Roe Memorial - May 2015, Crystal Palace - 26th May 2014, North Weald - March 2013
    BARC Overall Champion BARC SBD National Speed Championship 2015
    HSA Overall Champion HSA SBD National Speed Championship 2017

With thanks to SDMotorsport, ASPerformace, Team Legacy, MapDCCD, JT Innovations, never forgetting Simon Roe

Justin the 50 ltr tank would be ideal I also like the idea of re-using the origional sender unit and lid .I have just drawn roughly the same sort of thing for mine and one of the lads from work is going to do some 3d cad drawings up for me would you be able to make the tank to my design or something similar to what you already have the reason I ask is that there has been a base plate welded onto the floor behind the firewall for a tank to sit on and its height and width would be the deciding factor.
    365 days more like years……. gotta get this car finished…..nearly there time to finish is a bitch

Unfortunately Gus I design and don't fabricate, its probably best you souce a local company that does ali fabrication considering your location, I'm in Surrey
    MSA Class Records Pembrey, MIRA, Llandow, Silverstone Stowe - class 1C, Goodwood - class 3, Hethel, Snetterton, Lydden Hill - class A6
    FTDs North Weald - September 2017, Simon Roe Memorial - May 2015, Crystal Palace - 26th May 2014, North Weald - March 2013

With thanks to SDMotorsport, ASPerformace, Team Legacy, MapDCCD, JT Innovations, never forgetting Simon Roe

Originally posted by wrighty:
    Looks a good starting point! are the RA shells lighter then say...turbo 2000 shells?

whats the advantage of seam welding? and where abouts is it applied on an impreza shell?

It makes the shell stiffer all the seams on the impreza shell have been seam welded bar for the front in about a foot in I think it has something to do with allowing the front to crumple a little bit in a head on impact seam welding is done every 2 inches approx.As for the weight Im not sure about that im sure someone will come along and answer that origionally i was going to buy Neils 2 door but it was to nice a car to pull apart.

Originally posted by Justin A:
    Unfortunately Gus I design and don't fabricate, its probably best you souce a local company that does ali fabrication considering your location, I'm in Surrey
    No problem Justin I have a local fab firm near to me who have done jobs for me in the past so I can pop the drawings up to them and see what they come up with.Internally what did you do in your tank if you have any pics that would be a great help.

Justin what guage thickness ally did you use on your tank.

[ 07. April 2011, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: gussy ]

I used 2mm think ali, 3mm for the brakets but if doing it again I would go for 5mm for the brackets and some vertical bracing.

No foam in tank due to sender unit.

Shell and cage look mint Gus. Proper bargain there mate.

Look forward to seeing this....

Good luck Gus [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Simon gone but never forgotten my friend, your legend will live on...

Originally posted by neil...:
    Shell and cage look mint Gus. Proper bargain there mate.

Look forward to seeing this....
    cheers Neil /Banny I have my work cut out as you can see Neil thats why I never went ahead with your type r to good a car to break.As I said to you on the phone Neil I have a mountain off wiring to sort out as I didnt take the wiring out in the first place nothing was labeled up so I have taken the cowards way out and bought another RA rolling shell and going to transfer the wiring over at least that way I know what goes where.

22B Junkie
    Better to say nothing and be thought a Fool, than to Post and Confirm it !

Gus, after our conversation the other day, I'd not spend a lot of time grafting looms etc. Given your timescales let's talk again, and get a clearer picture of what you require.

---john---
    I'm Dyslexic, if you don't like my spelling, go FCUK yourself

cheers john I will give you a bell in a couple of days.
    365 days more like years……. gotta get this car finished…..nearly there time to finish is a bitch

Originally posted by Justin A:
    Regarding the tank I have designed and have built what you descride, mine is 50L and uses OE sender via OE tanklid.

I also have designed a similar 25L race tank with no fixings fo OE tank lid and uses a sight gauge.

If there is enough interest I can get some more made up, leadtime is approx 6 weeks

Justin I have been down to see the lad today who I bought the car off to pick up the spare bumpers/ wings/ bonnets/drive shafts etc etc for the car and guess what he forgot to throw in the custom made tank in when the car was delivered and its almost identical to the one you have in your car so saves having one made now I just have to get some brackets welded to the side of it to bolt it down or I might get some straps made to go over the top.

Result!

Proper result ..Looking good
    Sponsors for 2015

M B Developements.
    A.S.P
    Chevron motorsport.
    Whiteline.
    Owen Developments.
    Clark motorsport.
    Samsonnas.
    Mb Automotive.

Thanks Mark/Justin just got to pick up the other car on monday and then I can start putting it back together again.

Gussy that looks a minter shell you have there, I hope its what you want when done considering your moving down from the spec C

Originally posted by stevebt:
    Gussy that looks a minter shell you have there, I hope its what you want when done considering your moving down from the spec C
    [img]smile.gif[/img] Steve I dont look look at is as moving down from a spec-c
    as good as it was I just fancied a change