Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello John, got a new mota.. Again...

The Map

Man...that was quick tweeking.
    It helps when you know a) what you should do and b) how to do it... I think john has both of those points covered quite well

Just need to remember not to be greedy with the boost! The twin scroll engines consume a fair bit more air than the single scroll, so the boost won't hold up as well. Of course this is a good thing; boost after all is the reaction of an airflow encountering a restriction, the greater the restriction the higher the boost.... twin scroll engines are less restrictive

Cheers,

Pat.

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs

Gave it a good cross country run today whilst i collected the exhaust, I'm liking this car a lot!

Tyres are fine, they get better the quicker you go, i can put up with the tendency to tramline at low speeds in town for the feel and grip you get on the open road, it's going to be brilliant at the 'ring i think.

I received the interior parts and fuel pump today too, so will get that installed in the car tomorrow.

22B Moderator

Today i changed the fuel pump for a walbro, removed the crappy radio and all the marked and chopped dash covers replacing with good stuff, installed the OEM radio/cassette/CD player, it's not brilliant sound wise but at least it looks good and fits properly. The old system wasn't even screwed in, it was held in with tie wraps. PMSL

Whilst i was at it i removed all the old wiring from various accessories such as the Japanese auto toll system, so it's now really neat behind the panels and back to OEM spec.

Whilst doing the jobs above i found out why the Climate Control didn't seem to control the temperature correctly. The pipe that draws air over the thermistor in the dash was not connected, so the thermistor had no air flow to judge cabin temperature.

Next was to replace the spark plugs, good job i did as they were fooked. It had NGK PFR7G in there, the smallest gap was 1.2mm, biggest 3mm [img]redface.gif[/img] the centre electrode had eroded. Now it has NGK PFR7B set at 0.75mm gap. God knows how it ran so well with those plugs, the coilpacks must have some clout!

I then fitted a new set of wiper blades and called it a night.

Tomorrow it's exhaust, oil and filter and should be ready for mapping then.

[ 01. February 2009, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: johnfelstead ]

22B Moderator

Milltek system is now installed and the oil changed, it sounds really nice. I'm not going to drive it on load now until it's remapped so don't know what it sounds like opened up yet.

The exhaust has been off before, so it's maybe had a decat previously. Strangely on the system i took off the pipe size of the backbox is smaller than the centre and downpipe. Downpipe measures 2.5" OD. center measured 2.4" OD. Backbox measured 2.1" OD. Is that normal on these or has someone banged a WRX backbox on it? It's got an STI chrome tailpipe cover.

How scary are RE070's and ABS in snow! Thank god for a manual DCCD override or I'd be buried in a lamp post now!

Originally posted by johnfelstead:
    Milltek system is now installed and the oil changed, it sounds really nice. I'm not going to drive it on load now until it's remapped so don't know what it sounds like opened up yet.

The exhaust has been off before, so it's maybe had a decat previously. Strangely on the system i took off the pipe size of the backbox is smaller than the centre and downpipe. Downpipe measures 2.5" OD. center measured 2.4" OD. Backbox measured 2.1" OD. Is that normal on these or has someone banged a WRX backbox on it? It's got an STI chrome tailpipe cover.

How scary are RE070's and ABS in snow! Thank god for a manual DCCD override or I'd be buried in a lamp post now!
    Enjoy the new car John
    So much for keeping it standard LOL, see the modding has already started!!!!

22B Moderator

It's only minor stuff i don't really think of as modding these days.

The plan is to get everything i want to change sorted this week, then i can forget about it and just use the car. The only thing that can wait a bit longer is the brake disk upgrade, which I'll do before i do any proper quick stuff.

Most of what i'm doing is aimed at servicing it properly and making it safe for UK fuel under load, with the added benefit of a bit more performance basically for free on top of the safety stuff.

I think the front camber needs looking at, the tyre wear is a little too light on the inside and too heavy on the outside of the tread, so I'll have a day on the geometries after the engine is mapped.

22B Moderator

Had a look at the homologation specs for the Group N Spec C tonight and the exhaust is identical, so it is meant to reduce in bore the further back the system goes. I expect this will be to help keep the gas flow speeds up as it cools.

Either these cars are seriously good when you take the stock cat out, or this car has previously been remapped with a decat, it's spinning the wheels in 2nd in the damp with just over half throttle at 3Krpm. [img]redface.gif[/img]

I hope my remap doesn't get snowed off, it's looking quite dodgy on the forecast for Thursday in the midlands.

22B Junkie
    "I am just going outside and may be some time"

And still no pics, we need PICS

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

John,
    These cars are seriously good with the CAT removed. I couldn't believe the difference it made with a 3" decat, when we did all that testing in 2005.

We are expecting up to 5" overnight in the Midlands mate.

Originally posted by shaunee:
    John,
    These cars are seriously good with the CAT removed. I couldn't believe the difference it made with a 3" decat, when we did all that testing in 2005.

We are expecting up to 5" overnight in the Midlands mate.
    Going from 3" to 5" is a bit overkill don't you think

22B Moderator

Weather isn't looking so good is it!

Sorry Tim, I've been flat out during the day so pictures haven't been the priority so far.

I'm not giving it any beans at the moment as I'm running it on pure V-Power so it's ready to be mapped with just that in, i don't want to have the hassle of carrying booster around but will then have the option to pop some in if i cant get decent fuel. Even using half throttle it's quick, the turbo is making the BOV work a lot harder than my previous cars, it's very lively.

22B Junkie

I decided with my car, rightly or wrongly, that I would map it on a normal branded super unleaded fuel (Esso) and then use V-Power once it was set up for a little extra protection

22B Moderator

Nah, I'm not doing that, 95% of the time i can find a shell garage.

22B Moderator

No mapping for me today. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Here you go Tim.

Probably in the middle of a tankslapper someplace!

Originally posted by johnfelstead:
    No mapping for me today. [img]redface.gif[/img]

lol John you wuss, Thats a nice day! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I remember about this time last year i had a date with Andy, come mapping day it turned out to be a bloody storm with lorries getting blown over and lots of snow, drove three hours down mapped it then drove home again

Very nice John

Nice John.. looks at home there with mount Fuji in the background

Tim, regarding the remap.. I put some BP super (97 like esso) in my wagon the other day and the knock levels were not good. I wouldn't touch it again.

Mine was mapped on Tesco super and it's always been good, shell also reacts the same as tesco fuel.

Going by the knock levels there's got to be so much more tuning scope with tesco or shell over the 97 supers.

22B Junkie

That's just it though James, if it's mapped on a lower octane fuel, running it then on a higher octane fuel should give me a bit more overhead...I think anyway

Forget that

You've gotta be near a Tesco or shell station at some point, if you get stuck and have to stick a bit of 97 in there then you'll have to just take it easy.

I wouldn't base the map on crap fuel 'just incase' if that situation does occur then you know it's a get you home measure and you take it easier or knock the boost down etc so why compromise 100% of the time.

22B Junkie

The other problem is with the fuel going stale while I'm not using the car, of which there is a greater chance with V-power than other fuels.

Besides, I have switchable maps [img]tongue.gif[/img]