Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Hello John, got a new mota.. Again...

Quote Originally Posted by johnfelstead View Post
    Coming up to 11 years now and gone through the 100K miles of me driving it!

Still not got round to rebuilding my gearbox and diff, so have the WR1 box in there.

I spent a fair bit of time remapping the fuelling on the Syvecs, i can now get 300 miles to a tank on a run! Wish i did it years ago, i would have saved a fortune.
    Nice one John, I’m into 12 years from February but not done as many miles as you lol.

What’s up with your gearbox?

Iain
    Finchmotorsport 2.35, Syvecs, GT35R, MapDCCD, Bilstein, Whiteline, K-Sport

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    Hi Iain, good stuff.

The syncros are tired basically, i had a clutch that was dragging for a while and it wore them as a result, but whilst out i want to check the diffs and general condition.
    Rear diff just needs new oil seals hopefully.

Hi Iain, good stuff.

The syncros are tired basically, i had a clutch that was dragging for a while and it wore them as a result, but whilst out i want to check the diffs and general condition.
    Rear diff just needs new oil seals hopefully.
    I'm running the WR1 box, got it rebuilt a few years back at TEG due to the common 4th-5th synchro issue, been solid ever since, are you going with carbon synchro rings or sticking with standard?
    Finchmotorsport 2.35, Syvecs, GT35R, MapDCCD, Bilstein, Whiteline, K-Sport

22B Moderator
    Not sure, i'll update to the latest spec if the price is the same. The originals lasted just fine so would be happy with those too.

Just managed to get 360 miles out of a tank of fuel this week.

20200109_132403.jpg

Thread bump alert!
    Glad to hear you still have the car and its still running John.
    Mine has been laid up for the last 4 years as i have been mostly working away.
    I am really hoping that this year i have time to spend on it as i have told myself that i'm not going to accept too much tour work this year.
    So many expensive parts laying around unused...

I'm really tempted by a hatch Spec C to bring the bug back again but i don't have anywhere to store another car, and realistically the house needs the funds put into it rather than on another toy for me.
    The Audi motorized armchair will have to suffice for now.

22B Moderator
    Times flying by Dan, we all work far too much!

It would be nice to see you get the car finished and get some more use out of it!

Let’s all have a sprint reunion lol been so long. Iv now got a newage that could do with a diet aswell as me lol.

Not sure, i'll update to the latest spec if the price is the same. The originals lasted just fine so would be happy with those too.

20200109_132403.jpg
    Thats not bad

Amazing to see that you still have the car John and it still running

And nice to see some activity on forum , miis the olds days with some tech talk and Andy's old wooden spoon

Just waitning on Alyn to shipp me my 2.35 so I can get one of the sccobns running again

/Jan
    Jan

22B Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
    Let’s all have a sprint reunion lol been so long. Iv now got a newage that could do with a diet aswell as me lol.
    My car gained a bit of weight with some new speakers.

I compensated by losing 20Kg though.

22B Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
    Thats not bad

Amazing to see that you still have the car John and it still running

And nice to see some activity on forum , miis the olds days with some tech talk and Andy's old wooden spoon

Just waitning on Alyn to shipp me my 2.35 so I can get one of the sccobns running again

/Jan
    Sadly Facebook has killed forums like this, which is a shame because you will never get the ability to look back over old posts and find something useful on there.

Good luck with the new engine.

20200109_132403.jpg
    OMG! How did you managed to get 360 miles?
    What's your cruising AFR? What type of injector and end angle? Need details pleease

Btw, I still have 1998' Impreza WRX that I bought in 2000. Stock engine(EJ20K) made over 250.000KM and never failed. I sold ej20k and bought 05' EJ207 complete spec c engine.

Sadly Facebook has killed forums like this, which is a shame because you will never get the ability to look back over old posts and find something useful on there.

Facebook is awful IMO, wish the horrible place had never been invented. I can’t believe people get anywhere near the level of immersion as they do from a forum.

I was doing the rounds the other day (MLR, GTIROC, GTR reg etc) and it got me thinking someone should do a forum for those of us Jap owners that still want forums but rather than apart we all join forces and just have a sections for the separate areas and general chat or general tech areas as we’ve mostly all had different jap cars.

I still see some of the same faces on these forums but they’re dead as anything, those of use left in all the areas could probably make a busy forum and it’d breed more activity.

And before someone says PH, the place has a real odd vibe about it to me. Lots of very sarcastic and narky folk on there.

22B Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    OMG! How did you managed to get 360 miles?
    What's your cruising AFR? What type of injector and end angle? Need details pleease

Btw, I still have 1998' Impreza WRX that I bought in 2000. Stock engine(EJ20K) made over 250.000KM and never failed. I sold ej20k and bought 05' EJ207 complete spec c engine.
    Sorted out the off load and cruise base fuel map was the main gain area, it's an area that really matters for fuel economy but not for power, so with limited mapping time often doesn't get looked at closely.

Cruise AFR target is Lambda 0.99 - 1.00 and i use ORFC. Injectors are EcuTek 850cc, 360 deg end angle.

Considering my engine is still on the original cams, castings etc and the internals i uprated have done 80K miles now, it's still in remarkably good order, never uses a drop of oil despite the large clearances i used on the Mahle high expansion pistons.

If you are eating through a lot of fuel its worth also checking your lambda sensor linearisation is correct, i've seen a few that were wrong, so you think you are running at target AFR when you are way too rich in reality.

22B Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Facebook is awful IMO, wish the horrible place had never been invented. I can’t believe people get anywhere near the level of immersion as they do from a forum.

I was doing the rounds the other day (MLR, GTIROC, GTR reg etc) and it got me thinking someone should do a forum for those of us Jap owners that still want forums but rather than apart we all join forces and just have a sections for the separate areas and general chat or general tech areas as we’ve mostly all had different jap cars.

I still see some of the same faces on these forums but they’re dead as anything, those of use left in all the areas could probably make a busy forum and it’d breed more activity.

And before someone says PH, the place has a real odd vibe about it to me. Lots of very sarcastic and narky folk on there.
    I very rarely use facebook now, it's almost impossible to use compared to a forum for anything useful.

It's an interesting idea re a japanese spec based forum, but how you would make that happen in practice i don't know. Facebook despite being crap is easy for most people to use for general chat, so getting people back to a forum is a challenge.

We just spam all the forums left with a link to a new forum, it’s foolproof (for 5 minutes)

Sorted out the off load and cruise base fuel map was the main gain area, it's an area that really matters for fuel economy but not for power, so with limited mapping time often doesn't get looked at closely.

Cruise AFR target is Lambda 0.99 - 1.00 and i use ORFC. Injectors are EcuTek 850cc, 360 deg end angle.

Considering my engine is still on the original cams, castings etc and the internals i uprated have done 80K miles now, it's still in remarkably good order, never uses a drop of oil despite the large clearances i used on the Mahle high expansion pistons.

If you are eating through a lot of fuel its worth also checking your lambda sensor linearisation is correct, i've seen a few that were wrong, so you think you are running at target AFR when you are way too rich in reality.
    I think my range is around 360-400 km now. When I bought this car it was bone stock and my best was 730 km.
    I'm running NTK L1H1 sensor connected to Syvecs. There is little difference between NTK and Innovate readings.
    But yes i need to calibrate closed loop as it oscillates around 13.0 to 14.7 AFR when cruising.
    I thought you have played around injector end angle vs fuel table. I believe there is someting to gain from there.

22B Moderator
    Why use AFR as a reference when that scale changes depending on fuel and its ethanol content, Lambda is far easier to manage IMHO.

Its worth checking your service interval if the closed loop is bouncing around, also check you don't have something wrong with a cell value in the cruise zone which makes the target jump about.

Are you running the latest firmware?

Agree with you on that fact john I still pop in now and again looking for well informed info ,there are very few forums still running but sadly they are few and far between faceache is the biggest miss information site out there good to see your old car is still running John and your still enjoying it
    Last edited by johnfelstead; 29th January 2020 at 09:55. Reason: fixed the formatting :D
    365 days more like years……. gotta get this car finished…..nearly there time to finish is a bitch

22B Moderator
    Thanks Gus

Thanks John, will be good to drive something a bit more entertaining then the Volvo V90

Yeah FB pretty much killed all forums... and you see same old stupid questions every week there , not sure how many times I looked/searched back on some posts to find something I was wondering about

Maybe I'm geting old
    Jan