Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Hello John, got a new mota.. Again...

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    Most of the car is still original!

Thanks

22B Moderator
    So, 10 years on and i still have the car and its still being used as a daily driver.

Since buying the car my plans to keep it stock went out of the window and i've enjoyed improving the spec and learning more about the engine control side of things via the Syvecs S6 i installed. I've also done plenty of work with a mappable diff controller and helped develop a new range of Owen Developments twin scroll turbos too.

The cooling package of Chevron TMIC and combined radiator and oil cooler have been bullet proof and kept temps under control.

The engine has been rebuilt once fully, to a 2.1 HC when the oil pressure started to drop at idle to 2.0BAR, that turned out to be the rear main bearing starting to fail.

I then had the block modified for 14mm Group A studs and a refresh of piston rings and bearings at the start of 2014 when it was starting to lift the heads at 2.0BAR (the torque value provided for the ARP 11mm studs was wrong, which probably is why they failed). Since the rebuild its not missed a beat either on road, sprint or trackday.

The car now has 122K miles on the clock, had 28K when i bought it.

Other than general service items, the only thing that has failed is one Wideband Lambda sensor last week when the heater stopped working, not bad to get 5 years daily service from that. I also noticed fuel duties were starting to climb, the Walbro fuel pump that had been in their 9 years was dropping off a bit, so i replaced that and it was back to original fuel flow. It lost about 5% flow based on the injector duty change. Again, not bad for 9 years service.

I've also replaced all 4 wheel bearings and hubs, doing both at the same time negated any issues with the hubs wearing on the bearings, plus it was cheap enough as it replaced the wheel studs at the same time, which after years of wheels on/off for sprints were showing some signs of wear. It was only one wheel bearing that was starting to show some age, but refreshing all at once was sensible for the mileage.

Owen Turbo wise after the initial testing work and final spec being sorted, it's had one refresh when the waste gate shaft that holds the buttons started to wear in the exhaust housing, a problem you can see with the twin scroll design. Owen rebuilt that with a new inconel shaft to the required size to take up the wear post reaming to size.

Gearbox wise, i've just pulled the box and rear diff for a refresh at 120K (currently got a WR1 box and diff in the car), as 4th gear syncro is tired, so will do the lot and refresh the bearings. Rear diff will get a refresh at the same time.

It's never failed to start, has never let me down and continues to be a very quick and usable road car. The only time i was stuck was when i flew out to Spain for work and lost my alarm fob.

So my daily driver has been used for 10 years now, used as a development car and competed and won the 22B sprint series and still has the occasional run on track.

People who have helped along the way in developing and maintaining the car are:
    Chevron Motorsport: Simon, John and the team couldn't be more helpful and we have worked together to develop some great products for the car. The engine build has been very reliable and gives great performance.
    Owen Developments: Everything turbo
    Syvecs: Everything ECU
    Bob Rawle: Did a lot of the initial mapping work
    Paul Blamire: Did a lot of the Syvecs mapping work
    Alcatek: Everything DCCD, a shame he disappeared as the product was good.
    Engine Parts : Steve at Roland Alsop and RCMS
    Service Parts: RCMS, ICP and ASP
    Suspension Parts: Graeme at Whiteline
    Wiring and Toucan: Tim @ JTi
    Tyres: Chevron

Not sure how long i will keep the car, its by far the longest i have owned a car and proving difficult to find something that comes close for the money.

Hi John, good to hear you’re still at it!

Is anyone else still around on here? Looks very quiet.

22B Moderator
    It is very quiet.

Most people seem to post on Facebook now, which is a shame as it's hopeless for looking for information compared to a Forum like this.

You’re not wrong there. I joined a sales group on there the other day (I don’t do Facebook) and it’s a disaster to use.

nice one John are those PFC brakes still doing the job.........

22B Moderator
    yes, so far so good Alyn

Great to see you still have it John..... guess like most of us old skool 22b-ers - it's in the blood!

yep, definitely a disorder of some kind........

have only just sold the wifes Black Foz Turbo-S (JDM) we bought 15yrs back, have had its replacement for approx 2yrs but just never got around to sorting and still used it every now and again, and the replacement is.........

another Subaru albeit this time a Legacy estate variant (JDM twin scroll)

thats besides the long term Subaru project in storage and the other one i use almost daily???

Good to see you still have the twinscroll john and that its never missed a beat the main thing it still puts a smile on your face and has has been mentioned faceache seems to have taken over a lot of the forums I do go on it now and again but only for a nosey as I'm still in favour of the forums but as has been said they are very quite these days
    365 days more like years……. gotta get this car finished…..nearly there time to finish is a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by gussy View Post
    Good to see you still have the twinscroll john and that its never missed a beat the main thing it still puts a smile on your face and has has been mentioned faceache seems to have taken over a lot of the forums I do go on it now and again but only for a nosey as I'm still in favour of the forums but as has been said they are very quite these days
    well said ,,read through 30 drivel "posts" before finding anything even remotely interesting,,,,really miss a good forum--
    does,nt seem that the millennial generation has any interest at all in cars or modified kit at all

22B Junkie
    Its more like a for sale group on here these days and I gave up looking as it was just posts of parts for sale

And I’m still here but only occasionally popping in to see if any updates at all apart from the for sales ad.

Good to hear you still have the jdm.
    I bough at Hawkeye Sti type ra. Absolutely love it. Totally standard apart from the uk v power remap.
    GSR Services Scotland
    Andy Forrest

2.5 STI GSR Bolt On Turbo & OEM Topmount 450/430 V Power

Quote Originally Posted by Fai17 View Post
    And I’m still here but only occasionally popping in to see if any updates at all apart from the for sales ad.

Good to hear you still have the jdm.
    I bough at Hawkeye Sti type ra. Absolutely love it. Totally standard apart from the uk v power remap.
    Nice car peter sometimes wish I had never sold mine and started on my still ongoing project which is near completion
    365 days more like years……. gotta get this car finished…..nearly there time to finish is a bitch

This thread is nearly 7 years......

Oh, it's not SN and a random bumping an ancient thread for no particular reason.

Nice to hear you still have the car John.
    12.4s @ 105mph standing 1/4 mile. 329BHP - 289lb/ft

22B Moderator
    You are Dianne Abbot micky.

It's 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfelstead View Post
    You are Dianne Abbot micky.

It's 10 years.
    The last post on it was 2012, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it John!
    12.4s @ 105mph standing 1/4 mile. 329BHP - 289lb/ft

MMM Micky and Dianne abbot sounds like a nightmare made in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by gussy View Post
    Nice car peter sometimes wish I had never sold mine and started on my still ongoing project which is near completion
    What you building?

My other project is getting finished this summer.
    GSR Services Scotland
    Andy Forrest

2.5 STI GSR Bolt On Turbo & OEM Topmount 450/430 V Power