Thread: US sourced EJ257 with phase 2 turbo heads?

US sourced EJ257 with phase 2 turbo heads?

Hi All

Long time since I posted - Ive been running a 97 Legacy EJ25 in my my00 turbo for a number of years now. Sounds like a rod bearing is on its way out (sounds like a diesel under light load).

Rather than rebuilding the old motor, Id like to get one of these;
    http://www.offthelineperformance.com...product_id=857

Anyone have experience of sourcing US based short motors, or have experience of Off the Line Performance? Any known issues with the stock phase 2 heads mounting to new OEM EJ257s?

Thanks, Richard

Depends on what power you goning to run.
    Stock pistons are crap, I would buy one with forged pistons&rods.

Stock pistons breaks in stock cars

/Jan
    Jan

1997 will have ph1.5 heads not ph2............different piston design but you can play with gasket thickness, etc. to get the CR reasonable

Thanks both - sorry, I wasn’t clear, I already have phase 2 heads on the old 97 ej25 short motor. It was precisely the question of head gaskets I was most worried about - how many different thicknesses are available?

My old ej25 has JE pistons and Eagle rods (from Mark at Lateral back in 2003 or so...is he still around?!).

Regarding stock ej257 oem piston quality - are they really that bad? I’m only really after 280-300ps - using a front-entry TD05 and 1 bar of boost achieved this on current setup. I’m a bit disappointed currently motor has a bearing on way out - it’s only done around 150k km, and has never been stressed...hence me not really wanting to invest in a rebuild for it.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard.D; 16th November 2018 at 10:25.

Well, they can be that bad....but if you get one with forged pisons you will be ok I would say for many years.
    Jan