Thread: ABS bypass - ABS delete?

ABS bypass - ABS delete?

I discovered that my ABS unit is leaking when the brake pedal went 'long' at Donington yesterday, on the GP circuit... I survived that thankfully and ordered a replacement, however it occurred to me that I could simply bypass the pump by joining the brake pipes that are connected to it, then pull the ABS fuse. Is this feasible, leaving the bias valves in place? What else would I have to do to stop the ABS warning lamp appear on the dash board? There are two inputs to the ABS and 4 x outputs, one to each corner - I'm not certain which would need connecting to which!

Basically rip everything out ABS related that would be visible during an MOT, get a non ABS master cylinder thing, has 4 outlets, and get it plumbed in and pull instrument clusted out, trace back from the ABS warning light and the oil pressure light. Snip the wire for the ABS light and join it to the oil pressure light.

Sure someone more technical than me will explain the mechanicals better.
    12.4s @ 105mph standing 1/4 mile. 329BHP - 289lb/ft

Blimey! Thanks Micky. Forums are so dead these days that it's hard to get info and face book pages aren't great either. Youtube seems to be a reasonable place to get how to's though.

22B Junkie
    I've did similar years ago, just removed the abs bulb though..

I'm not sure with the new Mot's that would work though?

I did this a year or so ago on my foz. Proper way to get light lit up before starting and off when running is to bridge two pins on the loom connector to abs unit. The details were found in motec manuals but cant recall off hand and its all siliconed up now.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Wallis View Post
    I've did similar years ago, just removed the abs bulb though..

I'm not sure with the new Mot's that would work though?
    If the ABS system is removed in it's entirety it might be ok....but one could still say parts were missing from the vehicle, which of course they would be. Depends how lenient the tester is...although there seem to be plenty of those testers about.

ABS lamp must function correctly though for the vehicle....although I think that rule might even have changed recently again too to be less strict. Which seems bizarre.

Their database would list whether the car was supposed to have ABS..so if parts are missing it would be pretty obvious, likewise if no lamp etc.
    Last edited by stevieturbo; 27th August 2018 at 10:57.
    speed didnt kill me, but taxation probably will

sorry for clarity if you remove abs unit the abs light is easy taken care of but it also puts the fluid low/handbrake one on as well, its the one you put jumper in to loom for.

I've swapped the ABS pump for now. I'll have a chat to my friendly MOT tester about this. I've also had a read of the latest rules and if the ABS is removed - all of the components, then I think I'll be OK.