Thread: A little intake dilemma

A little intake dilemma

I need to move from intake from the fender, and can't decide which route I should go with

either just short ram, filter sitting right on the turbo like this

or fabricate a 45* degree pipe and run the filter to catch the air coming from behind the headlight and build a plastic box around it to isolate heat and prevent water dripping from the hood vent that I keep open all the time

obviously the short ram option is much easier, but would it effect performance at all? I've seen many people screw around with the intake filter location, claiming gaining better results with colder air, however they always measure the air temperature in the intake (air temp sensor located on in MAF sensor) and I could not care less what temperature air is in there, as I am measuring mine in the manifold after the intercooler

it is also my understanding that heat exchangers perform best with a bigger delta in temperature, and since its the intercooler doing all the cooling, that 5-7 degree difference in the air temperature being fed does not make much of a difference

so what is the general consensus around it?

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    Collect the intake air from the coolest point, it means the turbo doesn't have to work as hard, which generates less heat, which gives less work for the intercooler to do, which gives more power.

went with option B