Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin Scroll Turbo Recommendations

Twin Scroll Turbo Recommendations

I am considering a small power upgrade for next season, and thinking that circa 450bhp would put me nearer the front runners pace (unless Dale Gent turns up), as long as I don't lose the really crisp punch out of the corners. I'd much rather keep this than sacrifice it for more power at the end of the straights, but ideally have both of course.
    Currently RCM420 at 1.7bar producing c400bhp on the dyno, 320wp on the ecutek road dyno. So maybe a real world 410-420 flywheel power on track.

I need to keep stock location and a 58mm intake. I have to fit a 50mm restrictor, and the intake pipe diameter under the manifold can't be much bigger anyway.

The Lateral MD321T looks ideal, but interested in anyone's opinions or recommendations.

Many thanks, Andy

You may look for EFR7163.

Why not clock the turbo so it doesnt have to go under the inlet manifold? will give you more options then.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Why not clock the turbo so it doesnt have to go under the inlet manifold? will give you more options then.
    Hi Steven, forgive my ignorance here, but I thought clocking was just rotating the compressor housing, so that would leave the intake in the same position?
    Does this mean a full rotated set-up?
    If so I was hoping to avoid that extent of work and expense, particularly as I want to keep the TMIC, so can probably only go to 460-480bhp?

I would be interested in learing more about the options.

Twin Scroll Turbo Recommendations

Sorry, probably chose wrong word. You could modify what you have and rotate it.

Will try find some pictures and show you

I'd be very interested when you have a chance Steven.
    An RCM precision turbo as been suggested, which looks pretty impressive, although I'd have to change exhaust manifold and up pipe

I also have a md321t with tmic and i make 410 on the dino 440 with meth so i don't think its the right opinion if you want to make 450 on normal feul.

I also have a md321t with tmic and i make 410 on the dino 440 with meth so i don't think its the right opinion if you want to make 450 on normal feul.

Quote Originally Posted by makkink View Post
    Thanks Makkink that's useful information.

It looks like converting to single scroll might be the way to go. I was under the impression twin scroll was always quicker spooling but sounds like that's not necessarily so

Oh sorry i have a single scroll

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    Speak to Chevron Motorsport about the stock location turbos available from Owen Developments, both twin scroll and twin entry, there is a massive range available.

You don't need to go anywhere near a rotated setup to get what you want these days.

Thanks for all the above.
    After much cogitation, and having spoken to Chevron, I am going for an Owen Development twin entry with the housing incorporating a 3" ported entry and the 50mm restrictor as part of the turbo.
    It's currently being made, so now just have to get the engine, new bumper and splitter, plastic glass, black doors and wings etc. etc. sorted out.

22B Moderator
    good choice.

A sneak preview! Haven't got my hands on it yet but looking good.

Banham Turbo (2).jpg

Will that fit under the inlet manifold with the restrictor onit?

22B Moderator
    14102602_1606571566308970_2891716681160434500_n.jpg

This does. No doubt Simon will advise on any required changes for clearance if that was an issue.

This turbo is used on a group N rally car with a 34mm restrictor.

It is designed to fit with 10mm spacers on the manifold, but being a one-off it is going to Chevron first to be offered into a mock-up installation.
    Will definitely need a bespoke or adapted intake pipe.
    Whatever the case it will be a right pain in the bum to have the restrictor checked once it's fitted, so will need to have to checked and sealed first.
    Nothing's simple! But if it shaves tenths of my lap times it will be worth it.

22B Moderator
    I think you will be shocked with the difference, it wont be just tenths.

Just an update prior to the start of the new season, which kicks off Easter weekend alongside the British Truck Racing Championship.

New turbo finally arrived, fitted to the refreshed but still standard JDM 2.0L with spec c cams.

Attachment 1905

Fairly conservative map gave 430bhp on the dyno, and a later road dyno gave 370bhp wheel power, so roughly 450bhp real world flywheel power.
    So if you do a quick scroll to the top of the thread, that's pretty much what I was looking for.......handy that

Road testing the car feels strong right through the rev range, so I'm hoping for quicker laps at Brands, target mid 51's where the best so far has been 52.3.

Race results will depend on what my competitors have upgraded during the off-season, and also what unknown monsters might have joined for 2018.

450 bhp definitely won't strike fear into the heart of my rivals, but it's all I dare shove through a standard engine, and it is more than last year.....onwards and upwards

Pretty much ready to race...

20180325_103321_resized.jpg