Thread: Gear display

Gear display

Is there a simple way to connect a gear sensor and display to an OEM ECU on a 2003 spec C?

In my case the display would ideally be a metre high flashing light, but anything would help!!

Lol at 1m high display!

May be worth a call to Ecutek or JTInnovations and see if they have any offering.

Thanks Steven, I'll give them a call tomorrow

We don't have anything, sorry.

The ECU knows what gear is selected, so I would look for an OBD-II gear position indicator (that don't need CANbus). Or there're a few that work from rpm and speed signals - CarTek maybe?
    aka JT Innovations www.jti.uk.com No scoob any more Outlander PHEV GX4h for us now !!

Many thanks for the reply, I will investigate

PS Have investigated, just checking would this OBD2 CANbus converter work on my car?

http://www.cartekmotorsport.com/gear_indicators.html
    Last edited by banhama; 13th November 2017 at 18:19.

Your car has no CANbus, so it won't work. The CarTek gear indicator itself will work though, as it just needs RPM and road speed, which you would have to tap into from the clocks.
    aka JT Innovations www.jti.uk.com No scoob any more Outlander PHEV GX4h for us now !!

Many thanks.
    I can get the road speed from the speedo-converter I guess, so just got to work out where the engine speed comes from. I've got until next March!

Is it really that hard to know which gear you're in ?

You could get an engine speed related signal from a few places....all via the ecu of course. Just depends what your controlled for any display wants.
    speed didnt kill me, but taxation probably will

Quote Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
    Is it really that hard to know which gear you're in ?
    Only when things go a bit awry during a race......unless you are the ultimate professional race driver of course, which I am not!

For example on a normal lap of Brands Indy I would carry 5th gear through paddock hill bend, it's a little wafty but the change to 4th unsettles the car too much. That's fine, then a change direct from 5th to 3rd for Druids with a throttle blip all works well.
    Last race the car I was chasing braked early for Druids, I had to take evasive action, left it in 5th, did a quick change to 3rd whilst trying to defend, that slotted into 6th, momentarily thought the car was fecked, fumbled for another gear etc etc!
    It occurred me that a gear display would be handy for these occasions, I don't particularly need a shift light or anything fancy, and as the car is only used for racing it makes sense....it's probably the only car on the grid without a gear display anyway.

And here endeth all my excuses!

I'm sure a lot of the aftermarket dash displays could offer you calculated gear display if your ecu cannot provide the data directly.....although probably a bit much to spend just for that.

Or a friend has an Ikeya sequential shifter for sale, pretty sure it has a gear display.....not exactly a cheap route either lol

I know the Plex range of dash can offer gear display, and also hook up to the OBD port, so presumably should be fairly easy to configure.

They are a nice dash, but an expensive gear display, the SDM300 being their cheapest offering, unless you opt for one of their micro displays

https://www.plex-tuning.com/product/plex-sdm-300/

https://www.plex-tuning.com/products...micro-display/

Many thanks, the micro-display is interesting I will investigate that one.

The SDM300 would confuse the hell out of me! It's hard enough to keep an eye on the tacho and lap-timer.
    I have an Aim Solo datalogger that serves as a lap timer for qualifying, then I can look at all the other stuff from the safety of my laptop between races rather than risk stuffing it into a wall!

Cheers for the help

Quote Originally Posted by banhama View Post

The SDM300 would confuse the hell out of me! It's hard enough to keep an eye on the tacho and lap-timer.
    I have an Aim Solo datalogger that serves as a lap timer for qualifying, then I can look at all the other stuff from the safety of my laptop between races rather than risk stuffing it into a wall!

Cheers for the help
    I have generally found, I dont look at the info on the dash unless i am on a long straight, and even then its just a cursory glance. The rev lights they all have, are programmable and pop up in your peripheral vision which is very useful. The warnings/alarms are also programmable and can be really useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by banhama View Post

Cheers for the help
    It can take a while to configure as you like, but as an actual display it is far easier to read at a glance than most, especially the old crappy plain grey LCD types.

If you just want gear display, just leave it on that page and you can have it in front of view along with a couple of other items of data, and as Steven says you can program various alarms.

But still...an expensive gear display if that's all you really want.

Just noseying through the DT catalogue...page 309 has a gear display you just need to hook up a speed input and rpm input to.

Both should be fairly easily achievable on a Subaru.

http://www.cartekmotorsport.com/gear_indicators.html

This does look like the best and simplest solution for me.
    I know I can get the speed signal from the converter, but I can't figure where to get the RPM signal from.
    Any ideas?

Tacho Output wire from ECU to the clocks, tap into that would give you RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lewis View Post
    Tacho Output wire from ECU to the clocks, tap into that would give you RPM.
    Thank you.
    Can anyone confirm that the wire is pin 5, yellow, on the right hand plug on the clocks, or 'combination meter' as the book calls it.
    Many thanks

tacho, coil, injector....all will be viable signals ( other than if you hit 100% injector duty )

Just a quick update to prove that I actually do some of the things discussed on the Forum!

Cartek gear indicator is now fitted, just inside driving sightline.
    Installation and set up was fairly straightforward.

20180325_102940_resized.jpg

20180325_102953_resized.jpg