Thread: Mattyb's hawk build take 2

22B Junkie

Mattyb's hawk build take 2

ok seems the site seems very quiet lately I thought id post what we been up to lately and bring some life back into the site and get people taking and commenting hopefully

I thought id share some of my latest project with you guys..many of you wont know but iv had a lot going on in my personal life so to try balance that with work and every thing else that goes along with this game a little over a year ago I decided to break the original car we built as ever growing costs and very little time to work and progress the car due to home life and work commitments the hard decision was made and car broken but a few key items keep aside

I had a small plan to fit them into a cheaper shell and a more useable 2.1 engine base and strap a turbo on the front andf have some fun I had many hours of fun in the car and even entered at hethal sprint last year and placed 3rd very narrowly missing second place where rob beat me by .01 of a second I think it was and only its real first track time and only 1.2bar boost so I was well happy with that result not bad for something that never intended to go on the track at all

as good as the blue car was it was never going to be as good as the old car so my master plan that iv wanted to do for years was a 2jz Toyota engine swap in the big car iv had a real love for these engines for many years and decided it was time to go for it so blue car again was broke to help fund it and key parts again keep to one side to aid the build of the old/new car

sourcing a engine had proven more difficult than expected there popularity has grown over years but martin at mb automotive who's was well up for the build being our mapper had a nice late spec low mileage vvti 2jz engine for a customers build who had a change of plane so bingo we had our base so the fun started

from the previous car id keep the rear boot rad set up fuel system/body work/spoiler and carbon interior panels/precision turbo ect the rest would all need sourcing with the engine sorting id spent a lot of time on the intenet and calling friends in the game for there input after adding up costs and amount of work etc a bmw 5speed gearbox was brought and a pmc adapter plate and flywheel at the same time was ordered a quick call to spec over America who aways come up trumps for us before we had a custom clutch setup good for a 1000's lb ft torq so plenty for what iv planned

once these key items landed we could start mocking up engine positioning and mounting them up I'm surprised at the size of the 2jz engine its big but with rear boot rad set up and smaller rwd box set up engine can sit right up the fire wall and gives great positioning and very easy to work on compared to previous engine once the engine and box was mounted the hard work started

turbo manifold /inlet/intercooler/water pipe work/exhaust/waste gate and everything else had to be sorted but most items are available of the shelf we do have some custom items or items off the shelf we adapted or modded to work with this frame but I think it went great and really happy how it turned out

once we got all the basic stuff airtec was called on for a large rs500 style intercooler made to measure and a large 30 row oil cooler all mounted upfront neatly and easy to remove if needed

a few tart parts as in carbon coil cover and some black crinkle paint and were nearly done

only thing we haven't managed to do on our own was the engine wiring loom we had martin come in over 2 nights and with some little help from us he knocked up full engine loom to match the syvecs ecu and we had the car running the same night so the hard work and long hours had payed off and at this point I'm getting real excited

as things had moved on much quicker than Id expected I was caught out for parts the propshaft had to be modded to suit gearbox and Subaru r180 rear end so this stopped the fun for a week but a 4 day turn around for a custom front half prop to mount to the Subaru rear prop and were rolling at last but not very far for now

I wanted the car road legal so we set about making a custom wiring loom for the car very basic stuff lights/wipers and anything mot requires this didn't take long but my patients was tested wiring isn't my thing but it also meant we know nearly every inch of the cars workings if anything goes wrong at a later date

lastly we used the old twin turbo exhaust system from the original and chopped it in half at the x pipe and matted a nice 3.5inch front section from that to the precision single turbo to complete the conversion and we can finally get out and test the car

on initial testing car feels wild martin has a base map of 1bar and car is lighting the 285 section rear wheels up all the way into 3rd gear in the dry and into 5th in the wet so compared to usual subaru's its a tad different to say the least

as happy as I was the car did have its problems gear ratio was abit short on testing so the jap 3.9 rear diff was changed for a uk 3.54 lsd unit this has helped a fair amount ratios aren't too bad but do miss a 6th gear now but I can live with it for awhile

next up a replacement dampener pulley that was fitted to the engine that decided to self destroy its self and literally destroy everything around it including my ankle in the process this was a very close call lucky it was in the unit and not on the road when it happen abit pissed off but undeterred a ati fluided damper order aswell as new genuine oil pump/gates kevlarr timing belt and tensioner kit/new alternator/electric pas set up and a baffled sump kit for safe measures was ordered and fitted and were back up and running sweet with some added safety aswell

once I was happy the main items was done I went on to treat the car to some goodies a syvecs plex 500 gps dash would give us all the info we needed inside and a samsonas 5 speed short shift lever set up makes the ageing bmw box feel more how we like it and gives a much more purposeful look inside some new seats a small spruce up inside and a set of custom high angle tss tubular adjustable front arms and were done for now

car feels really good on the road even on the 1bar map were due more mapping soon but at the moment I'm happy car feels great very useable but insane at the same time well balanced and strong so hopefully for now I can enjoy it I have further planes maybe early next year but for now I'm happy with it

Built by MB Developments

sponsored by
    chevron Motorsports/whiteline/Owen development/AS Performance/driveshaft shop/samsonas/clark Motorsport

22B Junkie

Built by MB Developments

sponsored by
    chevron Motorsports/whiteline/Owen development/AS Performance/driveshaft shop/samsonas/clark Motorsport

22B Junkie

Built by MB Developments

sponsored by

Looks like another good build matty hats off to mate for taking and idea and bringing it to the fro
    365 days more like years……. gotta get this car finished…..nearly there time to finish is a bitch

22B Junkie
    Cheers gussy you know what it's like to have one of these projects lol how's yours going not heard much from you?
    Built by MB Developments

sponsored by

Can't be too many Subarus with one of those in them !
    speed didnt kill me, but taxation probably will

Quote Originally Posted by mattybr5 View Post
    Cheers gussy you know what it's like to have one of these projects lol how's yours going not heard much from you?
    Bit like yourself matty been very busy with work and family.Finally got all the niggeling problems sorted out on the car which took a bit of time to sort basically its just about finished just need 2 bits of wiring sorted and the final mapping and the cars good to go its just finding the spare time to complete lol
    365 days more like years……. gotta get this car finished…..nearly there time to finish is a bitch

22B Junkie
    Cheers stevie I don't think there is most will turn there noise up as it's not the norm but personally I love it iv never smiled so much in a Subaru

I know it too well guest be good to see you outnin yours thou you gotta update your signature I think the 365 days period is well over now thou mate
    Built by MB Developments

sponsored by

Agree with you there Matty will have to update my signature time is a right bitch

Nice write up and the car looks good on them enkei's. 2JZ is much better than a boxer im loving my supra. Put a full spec up & figures once your mapped!

22B Junkie
    Forget the signature gussy get the car done this season soon be over again mate

Cheers weighty the 2jz is one of the all time best engines for me bang for bucks you cannot beat it I'm gonna see what it can do in stock form then over winter we play with it and maybe gearbox change etc but for now I'm happy just playing about with it
    Last edited by mattybr5; 1st August 2017 at 17:17.
    Built by MB Developments

sponsored by

22B Junkie
    Built by MB Developments

sponsored by

its risky putting 2 bar into quite an old engine you might blow some seals and probably your gearbox before you reach the potential of the engine but a "reliable" 700 at the crank is not uncommon

22B Junkie
    I don't plain on running 2bar on this set up I'm not worried about the box or engine blowing what is fully refreshed aswell so wouldn't be a issue but doubt the diff/shafts will hold anywhere near this phase 2 of the build will start sept to sort this issue out same time engine will be dropped and the built version will be put into place and new Turbo set up added and we see what it can do
    Built by MB Developments

sponsored by