Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quaife Modified Saloons 2017

Quote Originally Posted by banhama View Post
    (What I haven't said is how many engines its had though!)
    Ah!
    Finchmotorsport 2.35, Syvecs, GT35R, MapDCCD, Bilstein, Whiteline, K-Sport

Quote Originally Posted by banhama View Post
    Looks more than mildly terrifying Steven! You were flying past those Caterhams.

I looked up the results on TSL, I assume you shared qualifying and one race each. You both did really well, particularly impressed with your best lap in the race, quicker than the GT3, and only beaten by a Radical and a Stuart Taylor Loganberry, whatever that is!

Also looks a really great flowing circuit, one day when I get a trailer!
    I was midly apprehensive yes, it not being my car and all!

Yes we shared qualifying and then one race each, the intention was i did race one, so hence better qualifying position, but they got us the wrong way round. Great buzz and great circuit!

A better supporting seat and position and i think there was a 1:12 in it!

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    If you fancy a laugh at some closing speeds round Anglesey have a look at my mate Simon's Esprit from the CNC heads series Rob is running with, he won the championship for the full nutter spec cars. I built the car with Simon in the 90's with a 6 litre rover v8 race engine, now with a Daytona prototype LS3 engine fitted. He hasn't competed the last couple of years as he is building a new version with a new spaceframe, but might be back out next year.

https://youtu.be/FNdc5-FpUn8

I enjoyed watching that thanks John, must have lapped everyone at least 3 times!
    I looked for the same car at Brands Hatch to give me some perspective and found this:

https://youtu.be/WrGVOtDESyw?t=3

Impressive lap times, and about the same as Rod Birley's Cosworth WRC prior to the restrictor rule, very low 50's but not quite into the 49's
    Dale Gent's Impreza has taken down this to a sub 49 I think.............but this leads me back to a question that I can never fully answer, and perhaps you can help.

Going by the published BTCC headline figures: 350+bhp, 1300kg etc.........how the hell are Touring Cars so fast? Mostly in the 48's

I know this is probably a dumb question given the £350K+ cost per car etc, but just interested to know how much of the performance comes from the sheer handling, given aero is minimal, and how much is down to the professional drivers' skill.

Daft question I know, but something that puzzles my tiny brain

22B Moderator
    Simon's a decent cluby driver, but stick a pro in the car and it would probably be 3 seconds quicker. I think that was the first time he had seen brands hatch since the mid 90's.

I did a test day with the historic F1's at Brands Indy this year prior to the GP circuit race meeting. The 1977 Shadow lapped in 44.4s on a shakedown session with GP circuit gearing and old tyres. The 1982 Tyrrell would knock 2 seconds off that, even with the restrcited ground effect aero we have to use (we cant use sliding/flexing skirts, that's probably worth 1 second round indy).

To answer your question, proper drivers make a decent difference, as does suspension, brakes, aero and tyres that work. Those tyres are only good for one race and then get scrapped, how long does your last.

With the F1's we are limited to one set of tyres per meeting (qualy and 2 races), if we weren't we would be sticking new tyres on every session, they are worth 1 second a lap just from one heat cycle use, which is why we practice on undeclared tyres then start qualy with brand new ones.

Tyres.....I always forget! I take the scrapped BTCC tyres and try and make them last another 6 sessions at least!
    New slicks would be worth 1 second a lap, but at £1200 a race that's not going to happen!

It's good to know that you put a decent chunk of time down to driver skill. I'm never going to be a pro driver but I can always improve from where I am now, that's probably where the cheapest gains are to be made.
    ( That and an Owen Development Turbo of course )

The F1 car lap times are awesome, and it must be a great experience to lap the Indy circuit in under 45 seconds, whatever the car

22B Moderator
    Driver skill really matters, I've been lucky enough to work with some of the worlds quickest, but also some very quick amateurs who have enough money to get the seat time required to get up to a good standard.

Once you get into the top level those guys are all very close. I worked with the new Torro Rosso F1 driver Brendon Hartley for a few races before he landed his seat with Porsche and went on to win Le Mans and the World championship twice, guys at that level are just naturally quick, no matter what you strap them in.

I've said this numerous times but people rarely do it, spend a day with a proper limit handling coach (not a track based racing driver trying to supplement his income), you will learn a lot.

If you are limited for funds, set aside the best tyres you can afford and use them just for qualifying at each event, then race on a different set. It will get you further up the grid than qualifying and racing on the same tyres and cost will balance out over the season.

Quaife Modified Saloons 2017

The car I was driving competes in the CNC and won class D this year. Quite a few of the CNC guys were in the race at the weekend.

Nothing could touch the radical though, which was banging in 1.07 laps despite the cold ambients. That was 6 seconds a lap quicker than me, he got the chequered flag three car lengths behind me so I avoided being lapped.

Thatís 1~3 seconds quicker than the esprit that John has shown, so god knows what his closing speeds were on the slower cars in our race!

22B Moderator
    Decent enough car then Steven.

Simon was doing 1:09.9 back then, the radical was doing 1:08.5 in your race, so fairly close on lap time, the Esprit would have been a fair bit quicker down the straights as it has a lot more power and wont corner like a radical. It should be interesting to see how Simon's new Esprit does, we built the old one around 1970's Formula 2 spec suspension, the new setup is far more modern kit. First race we did with the car we were last on the grid, it was a load of crap, the chassis we started with was an ex hillclimb car sponsored by a major Lotus dealer. We ended up strain gauge testing that as we couldn't get it to handle, which discovered the designer didn't know his arse from his elbow. So we redid the spaceframe significantly and eventually got it to the front after a lot of learning and hard work.

Running a saloon car is a lot less work, which is why the nutter special saloon cars aren't about much now, when we started back in the 90's there were loads of them, quite a lot were bodies put of 70's sports cars that were worth nothing, with the rise of historic racing those cars have been converted back to original and are worth a fortune now.

If you fancy a look at the car as it was simon has a nice webpage http://www.espritv8.net/index.html You can have a laugh at me in my younger years on there too. We built the first prototype Wildcat Rover V8 back then and thats covered on there too. First was a 5.0 litre, 2nd was a 6 litre, the other prototype went into the Morgan that raced at Le Mans and another went into the MGX land speed record car driven by Andy Green, that was twin turbo and just under 1000BHP (that's a story in itself how i helped the factory MG guys out last minute only to upset Simon's then wife by stripping his engine over night in the garage whilst he was on his first wedding anniversary, oops )