Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Sprint and Hillclimb Season

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe cross View Post
    That was going to be my next question Justin, as to where your sensor is mounted. Mine is also in a similar position and I also struggle with temps, hence all the messing around I do to keep it under control.
    I considered repositioning the sensor, just need to find the optimum position to move it to. I considered mounting it in the rear of the plenum, I need to do some testing with the heat lazer gun.
    Don't put it in the plenum, you get a lot of heat soak and because the aluminium bulk is large you don't get a true reading of the air.
    It wants to be in the airflow aft of the intercooler core away from any heat soak source, mounted in a boss that isn't part of a large bulk. Not easy to find on a Subaru but that's your target.

John I set it that low since for the last few seasons its never got above 93 - including Hethel, so if it gets to 97 then something may be amiss. Ambients were the hottest I've seen at Hethel this time.

A 1.3 bar cap is already on the list of things to do!
    MSA Class Records Pembrey, MIRA, Llandow, Silverstone Stowe - class 1C, Goodwood - class 3, Hethel, Snetterton, Lydden Hill - class A6
    FTDs North Weald - September 2017, Simon Roe Memorial - May 2015, Crystal Palace - 26th May 2014, North Weald - March 2013
    BARC Overall Champion BARC SBD National Speed Championship 2015
    HSA Overall Champion HSA SBD National Speed Championship 2017

With thanks to ASPerformace, AndyForrestPerformance, SDMotorsport, JT Innovations, never forgetting Simon Roe

22B Moderator
    Your something amiss is the cooling capacity of your system isn't up to the job of providing a stable temperature under all circumstances, you know this of course.

That doesn't change the fact you were contemplating backing off for no good reason.

You don't need a warning light to tell you that the trend of your coolant isn't ideal, you should only use it to tell you to switch off when a problem occurs, otherwise you could be throwing away a perfectly safe good run and taking concentration away from where it should be, going faster.

You aren't driving a racing car where you could save a good result by backing off for a while to bring temps down, in sprinting its either flat out or say goodbye to a decent result, so set your warning points appropriately and you will win more, even if you are running at the margins.

Obviously the long term answer is improve your cooling, but even with that in place, put the warning light at a point where you have to come off the power, you then just look at your temps post run and see if you need to address an issue that is creeping into the system.

If you don't do that what tends to happen is you get used to seeing a warning light come on, which means when you do have to instantly switch off, you waste time contemplating if its a problem you can ignore. Warning lights on a sprint car should be terminal occurrence only, use your data logs and gauges for trends.

22B Moderator
    I forgot to say, well done Justin, top stuff on the results you are achieving.

Congratulations Justin.
    12.4s @ 105mph standing 1/4 mile. 329BHP - 289lb/ft

Thanks both.

John I seem to ignore all warnings anyway, not ideal but its eitber a case of not noticing due to focus, or an attitude of "Syvecs will sort it out"..... must do better lol
    MSA Class Records Pembrey, MIRA, Llandow, Silverstone Stowe - class 1C, Goodwood - class 3, Hethel, Snetterton, Lydden Hill - class A6
    FTDs North Weald - September 2017, Simon Roe Memorial - May 2015, Crystal Palace - 26th May 2014, North Weald - March 2013

With thanks to ASPerformace, AndyForrestPerformance, SDMotorsport, JT Innovations, never forgetting Simon Roe

22B Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin A View Post
    David, yes -and at present the only speed sensor I have is from the gearbox which manually drives the speedo, from there it is converted to a signal for the ECU.

I should mention at this point I will be using a standalone DCCD controller, having researched what is available and chatting to Matt at MapDCCD Motorsport, I will be running their controller next year. In fact it is already installed in the car but due to minimal runtime I get at events and every event being crucial to score points - I haven't had the chance to play/experiment with it, it has only been used in OE thumbwheel mode, so I haven't exploited any benefits this excellent bit of kit will bring.
    Was going to suggest you could use other sensors, brackets etc to pick up wheel speed from the shafts or similar if you really didnt want to change the hubs as a stop gap, but sounds like you have it covered

MotorSport At The Palace – 28th August

Not any championship event, just my home event at the iconic London Circuit. Its a glorious summers day and a lot of friends and family are turning up to watch the action and all the other attractions on offer – no pressure then!

http://www.motorsportatthepalace.co.uk/

Although this event didn’t affect any championships, this sprint was very personal to me – last time I was here I had a bad day, stuffing it into the tyres at Big Tree hairpin and also seeing my class record being beaten. I need to get back on the horse and exorcise the demons of last year. Chris Berrisford is here, his car very much improved now that S.D. Motorsport is looking after it – I only pipped him by 0.02 last time we met. Also the new class record holder is here too in his Evo, so loads of incentives to do well… trouble is they have had a full days sprinting here the previous day (of this 2 day event), I could only commit to one day this year so advantage to them!

P1: Ok lets go from the off, no mucking about. It’s a good solid lap, a 36.7 – that’s 1 sec off my pb set in 2015 on the grippier kumhos and 0.5 off my best time last year. Chris puts in a 37.3 and the Evo a 37.0.

P2: Time to really push, lets give it over 9tenths and be smooth. Great lap, nailed the Big Tree braking zone, smooth through chicane and over the line felt like a quick one…. It was – 35.93 fantastic! Only 0.2 off my pb and only 0.33 off the class record – this is ON!! Back on the horse! Chris made a mistake and set a 37.8, the evo a 36.8

By now its lunchtime, loads of friends have turned up, Alex’s mates too and they are all having fun, taking turns in the drivers seat, wearing my lid etc. Seems I have a mini pit crew for the day, Alex takes the logs and I’m checking fluids etc - the other boys are inquisitive, attentive and eager to get involved – great stuff.

T1: OK lets do this. Great launch, good first corner and Big Tree hairpin dispatched well. On the brakes in to the chicane I lock up and run a bit wide, I manage to hustle it through without clipping the cones but I’ve lost time…. The rest of the lap is good, I carry good speed through Tower and drift wide as I cross the finish line – oh no, was I 2 wheels off? The officials have put a new rule in for this year to stop corner cutting – If the side of the car is more than 25% its width off the tarmac then it is considered 2WO. As I enter the paddock my mini pit crew are there to tell me the time, 36.0. I’m first to run, Chris and the Evo are about 5 cars later. I have time to park up and do my post run checks before the 4 boys return form the startline (where the timing clock is) to tell me the other times. Chris does a 36.9 and the Evo a 36.3. I go and check the times at the officals office to see if I had been given 2WO (and a 10 second penalty) – all is good , time stood, phew!

One of my mates shows me a video of the run he took, good job I saw it!

https://youtu.be/bY4D2YCvrVI

Once seeing it I decided to swap the offside tyres front to back to move what must be a flatspot away from the front end – pit crew bursts into action – they now have to stop playing “who can balance the highest on the jack” and start using it for real!!

T2: Argh! A repeat of T1 into the chicane, I lock up slightly, jump off and back on but I’m way wide again and speed compromised going towards Tower. Over the line it’s a 36.5, Chris a 36.4 and Evo a 35.9. Now I'm 2nd in class.

T3: C’mon Andrews – just sort out chicane! S**t or bust I know there is a win in me! At last I produce my best lap, 10tenths that was it, smooth everywhere, great spot of brakes everywhere, great speed and line through chicane and tower – I drift wide again over the line but it’s the same as before… have I done It? I drive back knowing that’s my fastest time today but is it enough? As I drive towards the paddock I come into view of the 4 boys who have been containing themselves waiting for me to appear – I still have about 50 yards to go before I reach them but I see them spontaneously jump up and down cheering waving their arms Yep I’ve gone faster! I stop beside them, passenger door opens , they all somehow squeeze their heads inside the car Alex screams 35.53!!!! new record!! I scream back at them, take a deep breath – then roar a bit more! Now the waiting game…. I park up, the boys go back to the startline. In the paddock there is a tannoy nearby, I stand near it. The cars go past but the commentator does’nt say the time!! Grrr. So I walk back to my car and see the 4 boys sprinting towards the car screaming their heads off “They’re slower , they’re slower!!” GET THE F*CK IN!! job well and truly DONE.

https://youtu.be/dmX96BOTmXU

I get loads of congratulations from friends, family and many competitors as well, the phone has gone mental too… then the day takes a twist…

Once packed up I go to the officials office to check the times, see how other friends in different classes has got on…. I’m listed as 2nd with a 36.0 My T3 run is 45.53 – I’ve been given a 10 second penalty!! I query it, ask where I was 2WO, they confirmed it was over the finish line, running wide. I tell them I was no wider than T1 that stood – I asked then to reconsider and double check with the marshalls that called it. They duely did, but I was told I was borderline on T1 and on T3 I was wider..

Gutted. Usually I have my incar video to compare but a scrutineer at Wiscombe deemed it too close to my head (in the event of an accident) and told me to remove it – I hadn’t put it back. Without video evidence there was nothing I could do – it was declared judge of fact and the penalty stood. ARSE.

I’m sure it was no wider than T1 otherwise I would have checked straight away – the fact it didn’t register in my mind as an issue as I crossed the line backs it up, but there was nothing I could do except take it on the chin. Had I have done that last year it would have stood, in fact when I set my pb in 2015 I was sideways over the line!!

Talk about bittersweet, but I came away from the event knowing the time I set all be it unofficial – is the fastest tintop time ever set across all classes – no corner cutting and would have stood if I set it last year.

Definitely back on the horse – and definitely a victory of personal victories that day. Despite the result it was an unforgettable day, with a lot of support both at the venue and afar.

Results http://www.motorsportatthepalace.co....lts%202017.pdf

Last edited by Justin A; 21st September 2017 at 11:15.

Well done Justin, 'unofficial record' sounds a lot cooler anyway, and you know you went that fast whatever the officials say!

Track limits is becoming really strictly enforced in our series, quite a few drivers lose lap times at Brands, but at least there you get a nice photo as evidence.

Good to see you are training the next generation of club motorsport enthusiasts.

Plans for next season, defend your title of course?

Thanks Andy.

Ideally yes, defend title but at present undecided on the direction I want to take the car. Its been at the same spec for 4 seasons now, if I decide to invest in performance then I doubt I can also finance back to back national campaigns. Time will tell!

It's the cost and time that I find daunting when considering other saloon race championships. QMS has 8 meetings in a season, but 6 will most likely be at Brands Hatch, just 40 minutes up the M20 for me.
    A lot of people would find that many visits to the same track 'boring', but to be honest it's the wheel to wheel racing part I like the best wherever it may be. And the better you know the track the more you can concentrate on your race-craft, or lack of it in my case!
    So if you fancy a season's circuit racing you'd be most welcome.

North Weald Sprint – 10th September – Borough 19 Championship

Not anyones favourite venue I’d imagine but I have fond memories of this working airfield – be it driver training with Mike Wilds back in the day or a wet FTD in 2013… which happens to have been my last visit! The reason I usually avoid this venue is its transmission breaking surface – a mixture of concrete and tarmac, in places so cut up or underlating it really does overpower the suspension which is more circuit orientated. Its my final ‘must do’ event of the season – if I win my class here then I will have scored maximum points in the B19 championship and put me tied in 1st place overall. Looking at the entries list - my competitors in class are the same as at Lydden previously, so a good solid performance should get it done… then I notice a lack of single seater entries… hmm FTD could be on..

P1: Looking at the track map the circuit looks good for me, 3 huge tractions zones - 2 hairpins and a 270 deg turn too. My car and the caterhams and westfields in attendance are usually very evenly matched – depending upon circuit sometimes they have the upper hand, sometimes I do and its definitely game on today. Its a good exploratory lap of this coned circuit – laid out on a vast expense of concrete with no natural markers for braking or turning points – my experience of grudgement days and TOTB serve me well, lap felt very good on low boost. Alex gives me the time, a 81.7 – 2nd overall. OK not bad, but then Alex tells me who is leading… my class competitor John Start who is 3 seconds quicker – a 78.5!! Blimey that’s quick, don’t think I’ve got 3 seconds in me even with the extra power available..

P2: Right, lets see if I can find those 3 seconds - probably need more since I’m sure John will improve throughout the day… Boost up, more than 9tenths it’s a good lap, I clip the apex cone going onto the thin straight, also I could have done the 270 better but other than that I’m happy – 76.6, oh yes that’s better, John a 81.8 also with a mistake at the 270. That time puts me P1 overall, 3 seconds quicker than anything else

I was informed a clipped cone would be a 5 sec penalty added for timed runs, message received...

Chatting to Alex and that lap didn’t feel 5 seconds faster… we replay back the P1 incar video (now that its back in – lessons from Crystal Palace well and truly learnt), we time it at 78seconds – ah now it makes sense, it wasn’t me that did a 81.7…

T1: Quick turnaround with only 44 competitors here, the tyres are still warm and the day has warmed up too, ideal conditions. No LC, I attack the course well, same as P2 but just a little bit later in all braking zones, 270 dispatched with enough speed carried to keep the revs over 4k in 2nd gear and no lag this time. Into the 2nd hairpin and I carry too much speed than ideal and I exit very wide which compromises my entry into the next section, I hustle it through but not as well as P2. Over the line and its faster – 76.39, P1 overall

photo thanks to Nick Cook

T2: After lunch. Good launch, still no LC though – a much smoother lap, good spot of brakes everywhere and better speed through the final section, across the line and I’m slower by 0.4!! I put it down to the cold tyres due to the lunchbreak. Good news is that I’m still P1, still 3 seconds ahead.

T3: The day is going quickly and the officials have announced that there will be 4 timed runs – I decide to sit this one out, I have time in hand and the transmission is getting a proper pounding. Once all the runs are done I’m still P1 overall, but now the lead is down to 1.7s – to a Westfield that knocked nearly 2 secs off his previous best time… at that rate of improvement I’d best go back out!

T4: OK full attack, LC on it’s a great lap, no mistakes I'm well chuffed, if anyone goes faster then fairplay, nothing left behind – Alex tells me it a 76.43, 0.04 slower!!! Cold tyres again!! (well that’s my excuse!)

But the best news was my T1 time was good enough for FTD, my first dry one an (unofficial) clean sweep too, champagne o’clock!

Results: http://www.borough19motorclub.org.uk...0-Sep-2017.pdf

In car of FTD run: https://youtu.be/RcORUTQG29g