Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Sprint and Hillclimb Season

Thanks Andy
    MSA Class Records Pembrey, MIRA, Llandow, Silverstone Stowe - class 1C, Goodwood - class 3, Hethel, Snetterton, Lydden Hill - class A6
    FTDs Simon Roe Memorial - May 2015, Crystal Palace - 26th May 2014, North Weald - March 2013
    BARC Overall Champion BARC SBD National Speed Championship 2015

With thanks to ASPerformace, AndyForrestPerformance, SDMotorsport, JT Innovations, never forgetting Simon Roe

Curborough Sprint 11th June HSA Championship

New Venue for me, there a few different courses on this tight and twisty track, The Graham Hill Sprint took in the Figure 8 format. I’m one of 2 HSA competitors in class, not Chris but Jon Maycock in a turbo’d mk1 MX5. Target time is a high 65 set by Andrew Cottrill who is definitely no slouch, but chatting to him he set that with a misfire so a light time he thinks… lets see.

P1. I’ve walked the course and watched a few youtube videos to acquaint myself, it certainly is tight and all 2nd/3rd gear apart from the final straight. Kerbs look harsh but you need to hop them. The run goes very well, I could have carried more speed into the flagpole first corner but other than that the course is tighter than I think - so my 8/10 pace actually is pretty close to max attack, many times I feel the car is near that plateau of grip before it lets go. I keep my foot in over the line and set a 64.8, wow I’ll take that!

https://youtu.be/7qYcGCmg-zY

P2. Ok time to push a bit more in to the first corner. Off the line and this time I snatch 4th gear for Paddock bend – won’t be doing that again! Car runs wide and I’m heading onto the grass and theres very little runoff before the ditch and a tyrewall / fence, I jump off throttle, lift-off oversteer luckily spins me back into the track and across the other side where I come to a halt just before the 1st corner. Phew! I continue on gingerly, everything seems OK, no red flags so I complete the course, but I coast over the finish line knowing theres a load of crap that some muppet has dragged onto the course!

https://youtu.be/B_DEO8g2xXI

Lunchtime and I rewalk the track, checkout my skidz... and take time to look at other machinery on display in the paddock / spectator area

T1. Boost up, lets recreate P1 not P2 please! Off the line great start a 2.05 64’ that’ll do, keep it in 3rd for Paddock bend this time and take it easy through here, but other than that I give it 9/10 everywhere else, grip is better than the morning, over the finish line at 105mph it’s a 63.6, job done. Jon puts in a low 66 but with a misfire. In practice he beat the target time too, so theres more to come from him.

T2. Most of the roadgoing paddock were MX5s and most of us were trying to sort Jons misfire during the wait, finally it was traced back to the ECU being loose and shorting on left hand bends! As we both line up for our runs it starts to rain, first a light drizzle then larger drops hits the screen. Arse. Jon goes before me and due to the nature of the track its one car only, so I see his time and he doesn’t improve. With the class win done I take it easy, the track is still a bit greasy despite the rain stopping – I do a 65.1

Results http://www.resultsman.co.uk/LiveTimi...n&Download=995

Class win and more max points. The other main contenders for the overall title win their classes too, again this championship is wide open, still could be anyone from 4…
    Last edited by Justin A; 13th June 2017 at 16:57.
    MSA Class Records Pembrey, MIRA, Llandow, Silverstone Stowe - class 1C, Goodwood - class 3, Hethel, Snetterton, Lydden Hill - class A6
    FTDs Simon Roe Memorial - May 2015, Crystal Palace - 26th May 2014, North Weald - March 2013

With thanks to ASPerformace, AndyForrestPerformance, SDMotorsport, JT Innovations, never forgetting Simon Roe

Silverstone Stowe Sprint 18th June Borough 19 Championship

Fathers day fun in the sun Another new venue for me so another box ticked on the Nationwide tour. I’ve been to Silverstone many times before watching the F1 and also did a trackday on the full GP circuit (as it was then) many years ago. There has been a lot of investment in Silverstone and the Stowe circuit sits within the GP circuit, it has its own pitlane, garages and hospitality in one large building, including a fantastic viewing balcony on the second story of the complex with a complete view of the whole sprint circuit (and also the rallycross circuit). Very spectator friendly - handy with the family attending.

The sprint has been held for many years by the MG Car club and is part of the MG Live weekend, but only since 2015 has the sprint course been unaltered and available to other car clubs and their championships. Another early start for me and Alex, we both scoot round the track and this course certainly is a blend of everything – a long start straight (start 2 in the course layout above), a tight hairpin, an even longer back straight, then the last third of the course has no straights at all – all medium speed left/rights from the final chicane snaking all the way to the finish line. Just 2 in class 1C, myself and a golf GTI, no Chris again but its his record I want to beat – a 57.6

P1 : Its only 9.30 but it is blistering hot already, not a cloud in the sky, should be able to get some decent heat into these harder 1B tyres I have to run these days! Not a bad exploratory lap but I realise there are no natural markers for the braking zone into the final chicane – just an orange painted marshall post on the armco that is far too late. I also realise the series of bends starting from the chicane all the way to the finish line is extremely technical, the heavy cars are going to struggle here with all this direction change. I post a 59.0.

P2: A quick turnaround and the day has got hotter, its near 11 o’clock and its pushing 30c already. I push harder, I feel I have the correct line for hairpin and a late apex to get the power down as early as possible in the only traction limited zone of the track that the 4wd can take advantage of. I also feel I’m getting a good rhythm for the final set of bends – across the line it’s a 56.6, a second quicker than the record, definitely I’ll take that! But coolant temps had run away a bit – 95c over the line from a 85c start. Looking at the logs there was a bit of timing correction, I decide to put the better octane RMR fuel in for the timed runs but keep the boost set at Vpower level.

T1. The rest of the family have turned up and there is a break for lunch. I park the car so that with the bonnet up the engine bay is in shade, this works well combined with the longer time between runs, the engine is nice and cool as I approach the startline. Boost up? Oh go on then Good start, good through the first chicane but with the extra speed carried through I outbrake myself into the hairpin and I can’t get it turned in as I like, I understeer all the way round never troubling the apex but Its all within the lines so back on the power down the back straight. The rest of the lap goes well, I feel I have the last third of the lap sorted – over the line it’s a 56.2, new 1C record

T2: A quick turnaround and just driving to the start queue the engine is already at 80c. Ambients are 30+, so I turn the engine off and push the car the rest of the way until the last possible moment. Logs from the previous run were all good from a start point of 77c, so I’m happy to keep boost turned up. Launch control on its my quickest start of the day – 2.02 64’ a decent run through the chicane and I just about manage to find the apex this time, the tyres are crying enough but they are doing the job. Down the back straight a decent spot of the brakes – I’m sure I’m only 8/10 here all day but the tyre wall marking out the chicane is daunting and without a reference braking point a conservative attitude has paid dividends so far..
    now I attack the final set of bends – it feels good, not much left there. Over the line that must be my best time… it was, Alex gives me the thumbs up – 55.92 get in!!!

https://youtu.be/recwcsPSeVk

T3: Its absolutely sweltering here now, the car may just about cool between runs but the driver is struggling, despite the air-con in the hospitality area in the pit building! Its been tough for the car so I decide beer o’clock is way overdue.

Results http://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=sp...017/172481.pdf

Great day out, class win and max points for the B19 championship too. There are many B19 competitors gaining max points over their respective classes too, another championship where I’m one of 3 or 4 that can still do it..
    Last edited by Justin A; 17th July 2017 at 16:04. Reason: FlickR from photobucket test

a brilliant run of results Justin........

Blyton Sprint 8th July HSA Championship

Eventful day at Blyton! Having got the entrants list a week or so before, I was the only HSA competitor in class, so I had to beat a target time set by Andy Cottrill of 70.9 to get max championship points irrespective of position in class. Timing was tight, I’m double booked and need to get home sharpish for my daughters school ball – it was agreed do the 1st timed run and I’m off. If that wasn’t pressure then it doubled when Chris Berrisford texted me a few days before the event saying his late entry has been accepted – OK I have to beat him as well…

P1: The track is familiar, I’ve sprinted here twice before in the 22B.com sprint series but the track is longer, it is the outer circuit and takes in the sharp 90 degree right hander just before the pit entry – the finish line is just after the exit. It’s a good exploratory lap, right up until Bishops, I run wide on exit but no drama there is loads of runoff, then Bunga bunga is taken badly, even though I know to miss the first apex I hit it, which sends me wide again. The time has been DNF’d due to 4WO at Bishop, but fortunately Steven Darley is here supporting me and Chris – Steven sees the time as I cross the line – a mid 72. Chris has put in a 73 dead.

P2: A nice solid lap, 9/10 everywhere but Bunga bunga is giving me real issues – I get the line right but the car just doesn’t want to turn in and I understeer and never trouble the apex and it compromises the high speed approach to Port Froid. But it’s a 70.6 and under the target – Chris is 0.2 quicker..

T1: The day is going quick and there is time to get T1 in before lunch – handy! Boost up which should be good on this high speed circuit. Good start and I nail the first half of the course, into Bishop and I enter too quick, the car is sliding wide and I’m heading for 4WO again… I slow the car mid bend and just manage to keep 2 wheels within the line, phew but exit speed is compromised, luckily the next braking zone comes quickly. A good corner through Bunga bunga at last, over the line its a 70.5 - target beaten but Chris has gone even faster – 70.18

Lunchtime and Chris is well chuffed, he’s loaded his car on the trailer and he’s off – he is doing the hillclimb Leaders in Guernsey and Jersey and the boat sails in 48 hours and he doesn’t want to risk breaking the car. Oh the irony, I’m supposed to be leaving now…. But of course with most sprints and hillclimbs the timed runs start after lunch, so erm I can do the first timed run “after lunch” – I’m sure that’s what was agreed…

T1 (after lunch): I’ve been looking at the split times and I am 0.7 ahead of Chris at the first sector – Bishop really cost me time. But pressure is on, I need max points to keep an advantage in the championship. I convince myself a 9/10 banker on full boost will give me a 69.. but daren’t risk using Launch Control in case I break a shaft. Off the line a good start, a great first sector nailed again, through wiggler well and this time I’m too cautious through Bishop, car goes off boost in 4th and takes an age to come back in – arse!! Bunga bunga I throw it in and the understeer returns and I’m going 4WO again but I can’t get out of it this time, just a feather and bring her back in and its close – I don’t know if my 2 wheels are in or not. I carry on and have nothing to lose – I just chuck it into Ushers, back end steps out but it grips back in and I power over the line. Was it good enough? I have no idea – there is a timing clock after the line but I didn’t see it. Into the paddock and theres Steven – I gesticulate that I don’t know the time… he raises his finger (not the middle one) first in class GET the F*CK IN!!! He opens the door “by 0.02 - 70.16” woo hoo but its not over yet “did I go 4WO, did I go 4WO?” Steven goes to the timing hut to check, I drive back to my paddock spot. I see the chief paddock marshall (who gave me the P1 4WO news earlier) and stop and ask him:

“do you know If I went 4WO”
    “there was a 4WO yes, one moment”

F****CK... He gets on his radio and asks if car 22 has a DNF. I age a year for every second of the 5 or so that pass before I hear a “negative” crackle through on the walkie talkie - GET IN AGAIN!!

Finally I park up and quickly start packing stuff away, its going to be tight getting home on time but doable. As I’m doing all this the chief marshall approaches again, uh oh… he says “do you know the driver of this car?” and points at car 23 right next to me in the paddock “he’s the one that went 4WO” Did I need a drink right then

Video courtesy of Steven https://youtu.be/-mB-BoOYrwA

Results http://www.borough19motorclub.org.uk...17.results.pdf

Job done phew, Not my finest display but it was enough. Chris is much closer to me than when we last met at Snetterton – and funnily enough its since that afternoon at Snet that a certain S.D. Motorsport has been looking after his car, lol. Speaking of which Steven helps get the wheels swapped and car packed in record time, and yes Cinders did get to the ball
    Last edited by Justin A; 18th July 2017 at 16:48.

Great result Justin! Great to watch it unfold too!

Lydden Hill Sprint 15th July Borough 19 Championship

A 5.45am start and I have Alex with me as we head into deepest Kent, I’ve sprinted here before back in 2012 IIRC my first circuit sprint. Back then I had circa 400HP and the Kumho tyres and set a mid 81s 1.75 lap. For various reasons there hasn’t been an MSA sprint here for a few years, but 4 clubs teamed up to promote it, along with circuit owner Pat Doran – who was competing with his Pikes Peak RS200 in Sports Libre. I’m in a class of 3, I have competed against both entrants already this season and should have the better of them all things being good.

P1: Urgh, another 2.75 lap practice for a 1.75 timed run. I push well for the first 1.75, once over the line I coast round North bend, have another full speed go at Paddock, then attack the entry to Pilrims but back off once through the apex and coast the rest of the lap. The first 1.75 is timed and I match my 2012 time. Not bad at all, I enjoy it here. I’m comfortably ahead in class, so decide to keep it on low boost for Timed runs, managing the season I have a huge double header next time out.

T1: Family and friends have turned up, weather is good, let see how we get on. Good start, no 64’ times here but the car grips up well and I just about manage to keep it pinned through the gears navigating the altitude and direction change that paddock brings from starting in the pitlane. Good brakes into Pilgrims, I keep it middle of the track and aim for the second apex and I hold it part throttle as it spits you wide over the rise, as soon as I realise grip is good and the line starts to tighten its back on the throttle as much as you dare, it’s a battle of grip and slip all the way through exit and down Dover slope in 4th gear on these cold tyres. Late apexes for Devils elbow and North bend, the lap is going well. Late turn in for paddock and 2 wheels off at the turning point, I chuck it in here and I find the apex, car goes light over the crest and runs wide, its OK but a slight delay getting back on the power. Down the straight its never really straight – I feel I’m always having to turn the wheel to set up the braking zone for Pilgrims. Another good spot and I replicate my first lap entry and exit – tyres are warm now and I can get on the power more, but you’re always sliding here through the aptly named Chessons erm…Drift! Through Devils elbow one last time I power over the line. Really enjoyed that, felt good. Back in the paddock Alex finds out the time – 79.63, well happy with that.

Lunch break and I decide to put in the RMR and up the boost, lets see if theres a 78 – although I think gains on this track won’t be as significant as others, there is very little straight line acceleration for an 80ish second sprint here.

T2: 10 mins before lunch ends it starts raining. A light drizzle on and off, then a proper shower, arse. By the time I’m on its back to a drizzle but the track is wet. Oh, well boost down, managing the season I stay out of trouble and pop in a low 84. Once in the paddock the sun comes out and the track dries, typical!

Spectator video at Paddock: https://www.facebook.com/61238421885...7785437647267/

Results: http://www.borough19motorclub.org.uk...sults-2017.pdf

Good day out, class win and max points for the championship, it then got better at the presentation, it was announced I am the first roadgoing class tintop to go under 80 seconds, and with that the A6 record Only Pat Doran (7 seconds quicker!!) and 9 single seaters (FTD was a 71) bettered my time, well chuffed, a good day at the office.
    Last edited by Justin A; 27th July 2017 at 10:44.

Awesome, well done Justin.
    12.4s @ 105mph standing 1/4 mile. 329BHP - 289lb/ft

Excellent run of results Justin, your grip is tightening on that championship, keep it up!

Lydden is my favourite circuit, glad to see you enjoyed it. I remember watching the MLR sprint a few years back. I started racing here in 2012 and was lucky enough to win the semsec championship in 2013, but sadly we haven't raced there the last couple of years. I absolutely love it, as it is a real power leveller.

Also went to Curborough a couple of years ago, had a great time and my son Rob had a few goes. It was just a fun day with the Type RA Forum so no official timing, but I can definitely say I wasn't as quick as you! 65 something on the mobile phone stopwatch!

How may more rounds to go?

Good luck in the next one

Thanks chaps. Andy I agree about Lydden. The next HSA rounds is a double header weekend in Devon which is the same weekend as Ten of the Best, if I do well there then I think its the championship if I've understood the rules in the event of a tie. I think 3 us us will score max points and the tiebreaker is who gets there first. There are 8 rounds left and I am a round up on the others.

Wiscombe Park Hillclimb – 29th / 30th July HSA Championship

Long trip to Devon for a massive double header, the way the points stand in the HSA championship and the nature of the tiebreaker in the case of a tie (best 9 rounds from 30 count) means that I can clinch the overall title if I score max points on either of the 2 events held over the weekend. The target time is 46.1, which I know I should beat in the dry – I did a 43.6 here 2 years ago on a slightly damp track albeit on the gripper kumhos.

P1: Well its not dry – heavy overnight rain and a lingering mist means the hill is completely wet – 2/3rds of this hill is in the woods, by the time the mist clears and the sun starts to dry the track, it is only effective up until gate – ambients are warm-ish but I’m not sure it will be fully dry in the trees all day. It’s a conservative acclimatising run, a 48.1 – grip is more that I thought, perhaps I can get this done if it stays dry… but rain is forecast to start at 12pm…

P2 : 12pm? Grr BBC try 10.30!! The hill is fully wet and I take it easy, no heroics and put in a 49.3. but as my batch comes back down the hill I try the brakes and the grip is surprisingly good.

T1: The rain is on/off and the track looks dryer than P2. I keep it on low boost and push a bit, it’s a good solid run – close to the limit but not over doing it, conservative in the braking zones where there is zero runoff, it’s a 47.6. not a bad time relative to the others (4th overall in the Nat B event) but way off target.

T2: The rain had stopped shortly after T1, lunch was called and the rain stayed off - the track is still damp, but the best conditions so far. Can I find 1.5s? 0.5 in all 3 braking zones, boost up then you never know…. But I feel it’s a case of risk vs reward, there is always tomorrow but forecast is just the same… but the decision is out of my hands, as soon as batch 1 is called for T2 the heavens opened and it never stopped. It’s a 48.6, there are rivers of mud flowing down Martini corner!

So a decent haul of points but not enough, the main thing is the car is in one piece. Back at the hotel I check the weather report – rain due to stop at 4am, then will start at 11am for the whole day! Oh well.

Sunday 30th

BBC weather report? Rubbish! First thing I do once the 6.30 alarm is off is check the weather – first look out the window – no rain, bright sunshine. Now the weather app - dry until 5pm? Where did that come from? Can’t trust it from yesterday but I’ll take that!! But lets see…

P1: Sun may be out but the track is still damp, even in the open section. But the main concern is the mud – the paddock is all grass and yesterdays downpour and heavy overnight rain has saturated the hillside. Mud is being dragged onto the startline and it is incredibly slippy at Wis corner. I spin all 4 wheels on launch and put in a slow 64’ time, then promptly understeer wide and onto the grass at Wis. Fortunately this is the only corner here that you can do that without doing any damage – once over bunnies leap and through gate the track is OK – I pop in a 47.9, not bad considering the poor start.

As the batch returns back I plan to test the grip levels on the brakes again, but something else is on my mind – every time I turn the wheel either left or right there is a scraping noise in time with wheelspeed, hmm. Sounds just like a tyre is catching the arch, or arch liner as if I’m on the wider 17s on full lock. But this is on partial lock. Back the the paddock I have a look around the wheelarch, check to see if there is any debris in there or the cable ties have failed that hold all the liners together, nope, all good. So I grab breakfast, phone home and almost forget about it. But its nagging me, it must be something – suspension? Wheel bearing? A showstopper? I get the car in the air to have a proper look – good job too the nearside front wheel is all over the place, I can rock it forward, back, side to side and the brake disc is coming for the ride too – its only the caliper holding it back it seems. I’m straight on the phone to Steven, leaving a message asking is it a wheel bearing, or perhaps hopefully the hub nut could be loose? “YES, IT COULD” came a reply over my shoulder. It’s a fellow HSA competitor Pete Goulding who is next to me in the paddock and has come over to have a look. “The locking ring has moved” as he points to the hub nut. The nut isn’t even finger tight. Phew! Luckily I have the correct socket so I tighten it up, then borrow the biggest torque wrench we can find in the paddock – its owner? Gary Thomas 2 paddock spots down, my closest rival in the HSA championship . Pete is in the driver seat foot on brakes, I’m making that nut as FT as poss. Redo the lock ring its good to go.

P2: Skies are clear but the track is still damp on the open section. Even so it is by far the best conditions so far. I know the section of track in the trees will be the grippiest all weekend now its had a full dry sweep by 120+ cars. I am mindful that I have had 5 runs nowhere near a 46 and need to get past the 47s grip level mentality. I also know that there is a lot of time to be had at the start if only the track will grip in. It does – good start, the mud has been swept quite a bit and the open section can now be attacked a lot more. I carry good speed through gate and push on through the esses – risky but grip is there, this is good. Braking into Sawbench I jump on them early but also hard to test if the grip is there – if not I’ll have enough time to get off and back on them again – but it grips, too much I have to let off to get to the corner. Its upset my rythym, I usually turn in on the brakes so I turn anyway – far too early I cut the corner nearly hitting the inside tree. The car goes on 2 wheels momentarily due to the elevation change on this tight corner, but it comes back down again and I blast up the straight towards Martini. A great line and speed carried through here – over the line it’s a 43.8 oh YES!!! First thing I do now is look to the skies – angry clouds are about but its staying dry. T1 couldn’t come quick enough..

T1: Its straight back out again before lunch, excellent. I now have the RMR fuel in and boost is up. I know the track is grippier now that the section before gate is bone dry and another 120 cars has swept the trees. But I don’t NEED to go faster – just replicate P2 pace, I’ve managed the season all the way to this point – don’t chuck it away now!! Off the line it’s a good start, no LC its not needed. Wis bend dispatched well and the extra power gets me through gate in the quickest time all weekend. Once in the esses I push as before but don’t overdo it even though I feel the grip is better here. Sawbench braking zone I spot the brakes well and turn in correctly this time, the run up the straight gives you enough time to pick the braking point – just after the crest as it compresses down, spot on and Martini is given 9tenths and over the line!!! I’VE GOT IT I’VE GOT IT!!!! I roar with accomplishment, I know I’ve done it. Just need to check the ticker tape to confirm…. but the MX5 lads confirm it for me, they’ve already seen the time. 43.6 matching my 2015 pace. But I go over to the timing box anyway, Gary Thomas is there, he congratulates me warmly, top man.

Beer o’clock, that’s me done for the day. Once back in the paddock more congratulations are given by other HSA competitors.

Results Saturday https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...729%20NatB.pdf
    Results Sunday https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...730%20NatB.pdf

I can’t believe it, what a season! It could have been anyone from 4 people that could have won it – I managed it on round 24 out of 30. I’m sure once all rounds are done there will be 3 of us on max points but because I got there first the championship is mine. I’m just fortunate that the calender was kind to family/work commitments and the weather was generally kind on the events I could attend.

Huge thanks to all involved and continued support

Tim at JTI
    Alyn at A.S.Performance
    Andy Forrest at AFP
    Steven Darley at S.D.Motorsport

There will always be moments within the season that I will reflect on, what may have been – the wheel hub nut, winning by the finest margin at Blyton – but none will stick in my mind more than the 24 hours before the Snetterton double header. Huge thanks to Steven and Damien, that effort was the true season defining moment right there – couldn’t have done it without you

Very well deserved Justin......

well done, great write ups

Hethel Sprint - 5th August Ė Borough 19 / HSA Championship

Back to this fantastic circuit once more, only 2 in class, me and John Mattingley in a 460HP Evo2 who Iíve never competed against before. Target time for HSA is 135.6 but Iím here to push my A6 record of 133.9 on..

P1 : Ah its good to be back, I know my settings , lines etc. Itís a glorious morning and weather is set to be ideal for the day. I attack straight away 9tenths everywhere on this 1.75 lap of the circuit and pop in a 134.5 Ė on low boost? Fantastic!

P2: I decide to really attack the braking zones by the 2 coned chicanes, lets push the start of the zones further down the road. I find out the 100m board is a bit too far Ė I lock up still braking into the apex and the car doesnít turnÖ so I just emergency stop before hitting the outside cones at the end of the chicane! Oops, then I reverse up and continue on. The rest of the lap confirms a couple of flat spots on the front tyres.

T1: Alex swaps the tyres front to back, we adjust pressures, turn the boost up away we go. Itís a good lap, again 9tenths everywhere but braver on the brakes Ė really enjoyed it, but the coolant overtemp warning sounds as I cross the line, its over 97C. Alex gives me the time, a 132.6 Ė new class record

Lunch. Checking logs and the car started at 80C, itís a quick turnaround during runs, the coolant slowly creeping to 97 throughout the 2 mins+ at max power. With the extended break for lunch the car cools fully and I decide to launch with temps at 75C.

T2: Launch Control on its my best start, I give it my all, nothing left, I nearly go 4WO carrying more speed through the esses but I just about keep it within the lines as the car half grasstracks the final apex on the way to the last hairpin. Coolant alarm sounds again on the final run to the line, but I keep my foot in and do a 131.66 Ė well chuffed

Great day, found the limit of my cooling, the Evo managed a 140 - so max points for the B19 championship

Results http://www.borough19motorclub.org.uk...ugust-2017.pdf

22B Junkie
    Justin, do you have a dccd box in at the moment, and are just lacking the speed sensor inputs to the ecu?

Another great result, welldone!
    What are your air intake temps like on a warm day Justin?

Thanks Joe, my ACT sensor in hindsight isn't best positioned - its in the ally tube just before throttlebody and directly above the radiator, so suffers heatsoak when waiting at the startline.

For reference on the hottest day at Silverstone this year (30C ambient) Coolant temp 82C - ACT was 42C upon launch. From that base it then peaked at 53C at the end of the back straight under sustained boost. On that day a WOT run from 30mph to 105mph saw ACT rise 9C.

David, yes -and at present the only speed sensor I have is from the gearbox which manually drives the speedo, from there it is converted to a signal for the ECU.

I should mention at this point I will be using a standalone DCCD controller, having researched what is available and chatting to Matt at MapDCCD Motorsport, I will be running their controller next year. In fact it is already installed in the car but due to minimal runtime I get at events and every event being crucial to score points - I haven't had the chance to play/experiment with it, it has only been used in OE thumbwheel mode, so I haven't exploited any benefits this excellent bit of kit will bring.
    Last edited by Justin A; 14th August 2017 at 10:07.

That was going to be my next question Justin, as to where your sensor is mounted. Mine is also in a similar position and I also struggle with temps, hence all the messing around I do to keep it under control.
    I considered repositioning the sensor, just need to find the optimum position to move it to. I considered mounting it in the rear of the plenum, I need to do some testing with the heat lazer gun.

Another great result Justin, well done!
    Now the pressure's off you can just keep smashing those records
    Keep a bit in reserve though, 'cos you're just going to have to do it all again next year!

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    Why is your coolant temp warning set so low?

The boiling point of pure water with a 1.3BAR reservoir cap is 107 degrees, if you are running with an antifreeze mix the boiling point is even higher, its 106 degrees with a 50/50 mix at 1 BAR.

Raise your warning light trigger point to 105 degrees, run an antifreeze mix of 33% and fit a 1.3BAR cap and forget about it on a sprint.