Thread: 6 speed DCCD help

6 speed DCCD help

Hi everyone, long time no post!

With the wealth of experienced people on here from different motorsport/track backgrounds, i figured this was the best place to ask.

My Impreza (type r with 6 speed DCCD) makes a horrid clonking noise and feels like it binds up in slow moving tight turns. It feels fine to drive in a straight line. Have any of you had a 6 speed (or 5 I guess) DCCD unit bind up? As in the clutch pack sticking together causing increased rolling resistance and rather horrible clonking noise? Or have any of you experienced a symptom like this?

The car has recently been compared with another 6 speed DCCD gearbox and the only real difference to be felt is that when in the air with the front wheels held the rear wheels on my car are more difficult to rotate compared to the other.

The DCCD does appear to disengage or atleast mostly from full lock with the usual methods (pulling wiring, lifting handbrake) but its just the drivetrain feels tighter than it should.

Any help or pointers on what to look out for would be hugely appreciated.

do you mean you are driving with it semi-locked and it binds or its in the "open" position and still binding??

In "open" position it binds and makes horrible mechanical clonking noises when steering angle is added.

And how long as it been doing this for ? Did anything happen to the car that might cause it ?
    speed didnt kill me, but taxation probably will

The engine a drivetrain has been taken from a car I've know for over 8yrs, it's been in a couple of wee shunts but nothing huge. The drivetrain was working fine when it came out of the donor.

The drivetrain was sat for a while before being put into the type r.

if you reverse under a tight angle, does it make noise/binding worse? if yes, check your rear diff, I had an issue when the dealer put wrong type of oil into my R180 and it was causing similar issues until I drained it and put PA90 in there

Not done that specific test yet but will look into it. The rear diff earth strap was corroded previously so i'd hope it wasnt that.

The noise certainly sounds like its coming from the front/centre diff area but if the rear was sticking would that then transfer through the drivetrain to the centre/front?

if the earth / rear diff temp sensor wasnt working , the diff would be in an open state not locked .

how are you controlling it??

With the standard controller taken from the donor car.

Edit:

The type r as it sits now has the dash, centre console, ECU, engine and running gear from a 2006 Widetrack Blob STI.
    Last edited by Lewis; 10th April 2017 at 13:42.

Guess I should update this.

I bought a complete spare 6 speed DCCD setup from Matty and the whole drivetrain was swapped out one part at a time. The result was a knackered centre diff.

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    What was knackered about it?

You can buy rebuild kits for the centre diff unit.

Not sure exactly, John. I was going to send the centre diff away for inspection/rebuild but when I saw Samsonas were looking for boxes I just sold it on. So I never got to the bottom of it. I suspect it was the solenoid failing as it felt like the plates were not fully disengaging. There was what felt like grit in the oil and I was assuming that was friction material from the DCCD.

22B Moderator
    Today i shall mostly be twidling with my knobs
    If the solonoid failed it would be unlocked, it uses the current flow to pull the plates tighter. Could have been a plate or bearing failure.

Yeah, you're probably right. Its away now so not my problem anymore