Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hawkeye with 600HP at the wheels...

So I finally got the car on some UK rollers for a comparison run to the Aussie figures I had. Nothing has changed tuning or engine wise since the Aussie runs.

At 1.7bar with very conservative ignition timing (see ignition table) it made 511.9 bhp on V Power (98) at the flywheel. The car did 11.7 at 122mph on this tune on the quarter at York.

It's safe to say there's plenty more in it and 2 bar on V power with some more mapping I should get it into the tens on Vpower.

I didn't manage to run it on e85 and 2bar today but again the tuning on that map is also conservative. with only 13.5 degrees at the top end. Overall I'm happy as there's plenty more in it

Boost and AFR

Power and Torque

Here is the timing table. I asked for it to be mapped very conservatively for UK Fuel.

you went from 507whp to 511 hp at the fly, without changing anyting?

I know this is a new thread but I have an old question do you have those cam from Cosworth anymore I have the same problem kiddchaos421@gmail.com The first number is the part number=20004727
    Exhaust
    Left hand side/driver's side
    Designed for an EJ20 WRX
    Opening duration 268 degrees
    Lift 10.2 millimeters

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero View Post
    you went from 507whp to 511 hp at the fly, without changing anyting?
    I just think the Aussie dyno figures are inflated.
    I've always thought my figures were on the high side. It went on two dynos in Oz one a roller dyno and one a hub dyno. They were both identical at 605whp on E85.

I haven't had it on the dyno here on E85 for a comparison on that.

However on E85 it ran identical times on the strip both in Perth and here in York.

I never had it on the strip in Oz with just Vpower so I can't compare that either.

I would be interested to know what Power other fully trimmed Newages that are pulling 10's are running.

The figures I have are all I have to go on so I could do with something to compare them to.

Well it's gone and grenaded itself only properly this time.

Not sure whats happened or what's salvageable yet but its safe to say its fucked.

High boost high rpm failure. First confirmed casualties are two valves and one seriously fucked GTX35R Turbo.

The heads off the inlet valves were sitting in the Cosworth inlet manifold! There's water in the inlets on the heads too. Really not sure what's happened yet as timing belt is all intact and all marks where they should be.

I will post up more when I've got the bugger out and apart.

Quite a few have been down that same road....and it's a bloody expensive one, as rarely does anything survive it.

Never good and always difficult to diagnose an actual cause as it can be a combination of factors
    speed didnt kill me, but taxation probably will

shoite news Daz

Some bad luck there Daz.

Too early to tell the extent, but once you do finally see it, will you be rebuilding it bigger and better no matter what, or is it a case of "it depends how bad it is"? I'd just love to see another mega subaru.
    bmw s1000rr + full akrapovic = organ donor deathtrap
    lexus ls430 = family waftmobile

22B #301 SOLD Nov 2014 = ISO a new fix. Got a ~500bhp new age for sale? Drop me a line.

How bad ? Having seen it, and been there myself....if anything survives you're lucky.

Many years ago I did it to a Rover V8 twin turbo...in that instance my own fault though, abusing the life out of it when it was detonating like fuck.

It destroyed both brand new ported heads, valves buried into the heads, pistons, pistons then try and ram through the side of the bore splitting liners, all rocker gear damaged, both turbos destroyed.
    I think the only part that did survive was the crank and some rods. Ironically the only standard parts in the build lol.

Bottom line is, expect the worst because this truly is one of the worst things that can ever happen to an engine
    speed didnt kill me, but taxation probably will

Quote Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
    How bad ? Having seen it, and been there myself....if anything survives you're lucky.

Many years ago I did it to a Rover V8 twin turbo...in that instance my own fault though, abusing the life out of it when it was detonating like fuck.

It destroyed both brand new ported heads, valves buried into the heads, pistons, pistons then try and ram through the side of the bore splitting liners, all rocker gear damaged, both turbos destroyed.
    I think the only part that did survive was the crank and some rods. Ironically the only standard parts in the build lol.

Bottom line is, expect the worst because this truly is one of the worst things that can ever happen to an engine
    Agreed, having been there several times in a short space of time thanks to Piss Poor Gearboxes, the carnage is incredible!

Yeah I'm not looking forward to opening it up that's for sure. Engine is out of the Car. I'll probably get it torn down later today. Just couldn't face it yet.

22B Junkie
    it is what it is, start searching for new bits and crack on - send the injectors for testing too

So Ive got the heads off today.

Just looks like the valves have just failed. There is no sign of PTV contact on any of the other three pistons.
    Both valves have failed in exactly the same place just before it widens out to the head.
    There's no sign of Det or anything heat related.

So pissed off about this one as I have gone to great lengths to make sure it didn't happen again.
    proper valves double springs, hardened steel retainers, a conservative 7800rpm rev limit and 1.1mm gaskets.

Really really pissed off this time.

Shit Daz not good. Just have to build it bigger and better
    Not been making your own tappets again?
    Remember similar on your white type r a few years ago
    Last edited by Ciaranrb5; 11th October 2017 at 03:49.

Yep same cylinder inlet valves too.

Good job I was planning that winter refresh on the engine. Pity the dropped valve beat me to it.

I've stripped the block down this morning. Bearings were on their way out. Rear thrust bearing, both halves were cracked!!

I've had zero mechanical sympathy for this engine so for almost 18,000m I think its held up pretty well but it was certainly ready for a refresh.

Piston skirts were in great condition. Bore of the dropped valve cylinder is damaged but I'm hoping an oversize rebore will sort that. I'll see what my local engineering shop has to say about that.

The current plan if the block is salvageable is for a set of CP 100.5mm pistons (purely because of the sleeved block), new heads, Ferrea valves and currentGTX35R turbo fixed by AET Turbos.

If the block is goosed then I'll have to bite the bullet and go the 2.35 route but I really can't afford one of the blocks at the mo so it will have to wait a few months.