Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 221 to 226 of 226

Thread: The STI 5 project that i got in trouble for when i turned it into a project......

  1. #221
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Claygate
    Posts
    154
    I finally got back around to tinkering after six weeks recovering from an op, trying to get as much done as I can before the next one....


    So been playing with a few aero bits, did the wheels at last and have really started to get into the interior bits.... well what's left og it at least


    So, I wanted to make a larger under tray that goes just beyond the bell housing and under the engine completely. Lets nip the first thing in the bud quickly. I have used marine ply for this at the moment for a couple of reasons. firstly it great for a template, easy to work and can take a bit of a beating.... secondly, I haven't the budget for a huge carbon item that could turn out to be useless for my needs, get crack, smashed and wrecked in uk roads.... so as a test bed the ply will do just fine...


    A frame work was also make using simple square bar with tabs here and there for suppose and fixings. I haven't made the rose joints etc yet but all the bits are on route... some pics:







    The next bit was to finally ditch that nasty chrome look on the wheels. The wheels needed a small bit of repair but noting major; so on with the repair and silver base coat. That was followed by a few coats of a Xerallic purple mix and then a few coats of clear...







    following the new wheel look and front floor section I turned back too looking at a little more aero for the front. Canards. There was literally nothing I could buy off the shelf to suit what I kind of wanted so out with the fibre glass...



    Quick test fit and eye ball:







    They both still need a bit of trimming and adjusting oh and painting but this gives you an idea and to be fair I was pretty happy with them at this stage...

    while they where being finished off:
    Last edited by seventune; 11th May 2017 at 19:56.

  2. #222
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Claygate
    Posts
    154
    The pesky interior.... lots to do here. The S6 I have isn't a plug and play. I didn't want too use the stock loom as it has issue so a full new engine loom is required and I shall do that bit soon. The aim here again along with the seat swap is too loose weight and make it all simple....

    A vast strip back of the stock loom saved a huge 13kgs.... these is leaving the lights, wiper systems, front electric windows, steering rack controls and indicators. pretty much everything else has gone.... including the bulky air con unit and heater unit.... The heater is being replaced with a smaller much lighter unit....


    so that's those gone:



    all this seemed very unnecessary:





    And this is what is left:



    with the heater/air con/wiring an over all saving of just under 21 kgs.... that'll do for now....

  3. #223
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Claygate
    Posts
    154
    I might have just bought a dash!!


  4. #224
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Claygate
    Posts
    154
    Not a problem.... to be honest if this wasn't the kind of thing I did for a living it would be a very different car...

    A curious black box turned up this morning....



    What's inside???





    The comes the question... near or far.... have to say I think it's close for me.... means the dash moves with the height adjustment on the steering colum.....



    Near:


  5. #225
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Claygate
    Posts
    154
    Not had much time at all to get anything done on this for a while due to health issues.... though there are a few bits underway and not much left to do before i can get an eye in for getting the old girl fired up.... well in a few months

    big things:
    Exhaust
    wiring
    fuel tank needs to be made an put in the boot
    P/S pump and lines

    Could do with some paint at the end of it all!!!

    the dash is now mounted, 3D printed bracket so it fits nicely inside the steeling wheel in clear viewing poistion:









    With the exhaust i have decided to go with side exits, one either side and use big silencers position under where the rear seats used to be. This area i hve modded to get more a good deal more space by lifting the floor height....





    just waiting on some more sheet metal to finish this off....

  6. #226
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Claygate
    Posts
    154
    As for the exhaust i need to mount the diff properly before i can make that so i have can see how how much room i have to get the pipes in the right place and the mufflers tucked up.... but i made the tip quickly yesterday just to get an idea of position and how it will look....







    coming to gether slowly but a big push over the new few months should see me in the home stretch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •