Thread: 550 v 575

Cant afford either... but have always thought thats what I would love.

but which is the better car and why??? I know the 550 is getting cheap now, jus how low could they go within 5 years??

cheers

chrome@home

ask BlowDog/Cem.. he had a 550 I believe..

or read up on the 550/575 experience in EVO magazine?

Hmm...neither better, but offer different experiences.
    I drove both before I bought the 550 and found the driving experience vastly different.

The 550 has the better balanced chassis. It also has a better suspension set up, favouring sharper responses and a firmer ride, over the 575's more muted set up and softer suspension.

The 575 is faster, has a better interior and is obviously newer. There is the Fiorano Handling Pack for the 575 which I understand goes someway towards making the 575 more focused.

There's a massive budget difference between them so it's really down to what you want to spend.

For what it's worth, I did a couple of trackdays in the 550 and it was absolutely brilliant. Great fun, balanced and huge oversteer at command.

The first real every day Ferrari, will take big miles, but this does come with huge running costs. Main dealer Ferrari warranty very important unless you want 5 figure repair sums.

Oh and frequent 100 fuel fill-ups. 10MPG normal.

10MPG!!

Here's a question....how can you get a proper test drive of such car's?!
    Why can\'t this be read????

Wear an expensive watch and turn up to a main Ferrari dealer [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lol. I ment, where can you go when in the car's to test them out.

Well I've recently noticed a lot more car salesman are reluctant to allow fast test drives of these cars - I've heard of a number of accidents recently where wannabe Shuey's have gone beyond their limits and into oncoming cars etc.

Porsche dealership I went to not long ago had a race driver in their employ who took customers out in the cars.

22B Junkie

What have you got now?

David

Running around in the golf TDI at the moment. Looking into one car right now but waiting for the right colour [img]smile.gif[/img]

22B Junkie

how do you rate something such as the golf compared to the skylines, porkers, and rari's?

Originally posted by Blowdog:
    Well I've recently noticed a lot more car salesman are reluctant to allow fast test drives of these cars - I've heard of a number of accidents recently where wannabe Shuey's have gone beyond their limits and into oncoming cars etc.

Porsche dealership I went to not long ago had a race driver in their employ who took customers out in the cars.
    That sounds like the safest option, from Porsche, if not a bit of a pain if your there for your own tests.

Originally posted by David Wallis:
    how do you rate something such as the golf compared to the skylines, porkers, and rari's?
    Pleasantly suprised actually. I've got the MkV 2.0 GT TDi which has to be the best family run about I've ever driven. Love it to bits. Great poke (although I'm going to chip it) lovely handling, good grip and a good quality build.

It's wierd driving a car everyone's not photographing too...

Originally posted by drb5=Dave McD:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blowdog:

That sounds like the safest option, from Porsche, if not a bit of a pain if your there for your own tests. </font>[/QUOTE]Oh they'll let you drive it, but the race drivers are test pilot dummies so not as afraid as dealers are. I had a wonderful test drive on a GT3 about a year ago. A very mature ex Carrera cup driver took me out for about an hour and practically taught me how to drive a GT3. It's what made me fall in love with Porsches.

That's what it's all about!

Just like when i read they send a driver out with every delivery of the Veyron. To teach you how to drive the thing properly. That's what i need. Lol.

All part of the package I suppose [img]smile.gif[/img]

22B Junkie
    "I am just going outside and may be some time"

I should bloody well hope so at the price of the thing!

Cem (Happy New Year btw matey ) did Porsche include a driver training package when you bought the RS? A family friend bought a new 996 Carrera 4 a few years ago from Lindt in Tonbridge and they included a driver training day at Silverstone (I think) to show him what the car could do and to teach him how to enjoy the car more and safely.

Yes it did.

Blow Dog

Cheers for your comments.
    I dont have the !! but if I did this would be the super car I would buy. Dark grey or silver with a red interior.

Maybe one day....!! I think they are modern classics. 10mpg is scary !!

22B Junkie
    "I am just going outside and may be some time"

Luke, that is exactly the spec Cem bought!

http://www.blowdog.com