PDA

View Full Version : The 22B.com Sprint Series, tips/guide for a newcomer..

Davey96wrx
4th January 2013, 22:54
I am considering having a go at this and thought instead of cluttering up other threads it would be better to have this sort of info not just for myself but other people considering entering the 22B.com Sprint Series.

So I'm asking for maybe a walk through guide on where to start when considering doing this along with any useful tips and pearls of wisdom from people that have been at it for a while..

I'm sorry if this has been covered before?

Steven
4th January 2013, 23:06
Best tip I can give is get yourself to the first one, sign on as a passenger, get in as many passenger seats as you can (either per book on here, or network on the day).

That alone will give you the info of what it's about, and allow you to get first hand experience, all for cost of there and tenet sign on.

Matt R
4th January 2013, 23:09
Steven said it all in his previous post mate.

Do nothing until you attend a event. Jump in with as many people as you can. Most are pretty friendly and I am sure will be happy to take you out for a lap.

Get a feel for a 300hp car, 400hp, 500hp etc etc. See what matches what you'd like. You may think at the moment the idea of a 500hp car is the be all and end all. Once in one you may think feck this, it's too quick for what I want. Then again it might be bang on.

Discuss the potential costs of getting a car to spec A, spec B, spec C etc.

Basically, turn up, have fun, enjoy a few laps, question the ears off people, go home, have a think, if unsure, repeat the previous.

RA Dunk
4th January 2013, 23:13
Grippyiest tyres you can run in the class you intend on entering and a tyre pressure guage.

Remember your not Ari Vatanen, drive within your limits.

Type22
4th January 2013, 23:15
I think you guys are very lucky to have this series. I intend to do some local sprints this year but they are all MSA Events but in Road going Class. Whilst a few guys on the local forum compete its nowhere near the numbers you have here.

Upside is the events are all Local so pros and cons.

Davey96wrx
4th January 2013, 23:18
Ok chaps, will get myself to one of the early rounds then to have a gander.

For the other side of things what happens with regard to MLR, as simple as registering and getting on contact with someone on there and paying a deposit or in full?

Any specific requirements re. helmets

RA Dunk
4th January 2013, 23:22
Any specific requirements re. helmets

Helmets and long sleeves.

Steven
4th January 2013, 23:38
Booking info is in calendar thread iirc

ScoobyDoo69
5th January 2013, 09:44
Having watched some of the MLR videos, am I right in thinking that Oulton is super slippery?

sonic93
5th January 2013, 10:25
I'm glad this question was asked . Il have to get my self to a few. What's people's favourite track?

Andy Hughes
5th January 2013, 11:34
Castle Combe was my fav, especially coming over the blind crest at over 100 mph not knowing where the track is, balls are in your mouth, if you come to this one rob, a passenger lap is ready for ya mate

Nathan Lockley
5th January 2013, 11:36
Having watched some of the MLR videos, am I right in thinking that Oulton is super slippery?

yes its a glass infused surface, like ice in corners but strangely you can still brake. one of my favs but not for the faint hearted...

nathan

p555sbr
5th January 2013, 12:31
if your a snetterton mate i will happly take you round my car is a simlar spec to what yours is it my first event as a driver so should be fun lol im also doing oulton and possibly kames and on the reserves list for the others so so im hoping to do them all

johnfelstead
5th January 2013, 16:59
Oulton is scary, mainly due to the drops off the side of the track (i hope they sort that out!) and the ease you could damage the car on the tyres and armco barriers, took me a while to suss it out. The last section can be taken totally sideways, it's proper fun but not easy! It's like no other venue you will ever drive at. :D

Paul C
5th January 2013, 17:15
I'm surprised the oulton spaces didn't fill up first! Its the slowest track but by far the most fun and a real buzz when you get it right!

Steven
5th January 2013, 17:24
Oulton was fun :D

sonic93
5th January 2013, 17:35
Cheers Andy only if you promise not kill me lol. What's date for castle Combe ?

p555sbr
5th January 2013, 17:35
Oulton is scary, mainly due to the drops off the side of the track (i hope they sort that out!) and the ease you could damage the car on the tyres and armco barriers, took me a while to suss it out. The last section can be taken totally sideways, it's proper fun but not easy! It's like no other venue you will ever drive at. :D

drove oulton many years ago on a driver training day needless to say the car didn't look the same as it did at the start but was very good fun just hope I don't make the same mistake this time round or it is season over pmsl

Nathan Lockley
5th January 2013, 17:39
I'm surprised the oulton spaces didn't fill up first! Its the slowest track but by far the most fun and a real buzz when you get it right!

as john says i think, theres high chance of damage and those with road cars/ daily drives or ones with expensive splitters etc, hey rob? or basically anyone worried cosmetically about there car in general.

as you know the drop offs are like trenches in places and you could quite easily take the rear quarter out though the armco section.

off to watch my Oulton vids from last year in car with rooferman now to cheer myself up they are all here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B2342C12439FDBF for anyone else who fancies a look

Bez300
5th January 2013, 17:47
Oulton is the most fun I have had driving my car slowly:D, the slowest track of the series,
This year I am going to try and do well there instead of just bloody enjoying myself so much.;)

Big power here is not essential,

Bez

Nathan Lockley
5th January 2013, 17:50
Oulton is the most fun I have had driving my car slowly:D, the slowest track of the series,
This year I am going to try and do well there instead of just bloody enjoying myself so much.;)

Big power here is not essential,

Bez

hunting for patches concrete to brake and turn in on if i remember bez??lol then you found a great patch that ripped the tyre clean off the rim.....

cant wait mate.

your speedo will say you going 140 mph with spin but you could get out and walk faster lol no power needed here

Steven
5th January 2013, 17:54
hunting for patches concrete to brake and turn in on if i remember bez??lol then you found a great patch that ripped the tyre clean off the rim.....

cant wait mate.

your speedo will say you going 140 mph yet you could get out and walk faster lol

At least he remembered my tip ;)

I remember Stu's reaction after i drove through the tunnel and then the little chicane afterwards :D :D :D

Nathan Lockley
5th January 2013, 17:57
At least he remembered my tip ;)

I remember Stu's reaction after i drove through the tunnel and then the little chicane afterwards :D :D :D

though it was clever for you bez, ;)

he claimed it was his tip of the day steven..lol

Bez300
5th January 2013, 18:33
I also remember taking Steve out for a passenger lap,
Hats of to him, as by the second corner I was on the Grass,:mad:
Steve did not say a thing about that,:o
I am sure he would of been thinking, "If you stay on the tarmac it would be a good start"

Nath, it was my idea after Steve told me about it.:D

Nathan Lockley
5th January 2013, 20:38
I also remember taking Steve out for a passenger lap,
Hats of to him, as by the second corner I was on the Grass,:mad:
Steve did not say a thing about that,:o
I am sure he would of been thinking, "If you stay on the tarmac it would be a good start"

Nath, it was my idea after Steve told me about it.:D

:D nice one bez

stevebt
5th January 2013, 20:44
Castle Combe was my fav, especially coming over the blind crest at over 100 mph not knowing where the track is but having shawys balls are in your mouth, if you come to this one rob, a passenger lap is ready for ya mate with shawy

Sounded fun :D

.Stu
5th January 2013, 20:46
lmao......

sonic93
6th January 2013, 01:54
I'm glad this question was asked . Il have to get my self to a few. What's people's favourite track?

Lol ok Andy that be wicked il bring spare pants