PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on where to stay for TOTB

Adamantium
21st July 2004, 09:49
any help would be appreciated.

not been there before, so not sur what is near.

will everything be booked up already?

Steven
21st July 2004, 15:03
adam, drop me a mail, and i will suggest some places based on budgets.

or if you are up for camping, then you can join a few others camping at mine.

stevieturbo
21st July 2004, 20:10
Based on the lsat 2 years, finding accomodation is very very difficult.

We didnt book in advance last year, and tried everywhere from York, to Scarborough, before finally resorting to the yellow pages. We eventually found a hotel, who kindly added a couple of mattress's to some single rooms to accomodate us, at midnite on the saturday.

I booked this time back in February, and even then a lot of places were nearly fully booked.

It always seems to be a busy weekend.

Andy McCord
22nd July 2004, 09:14
Adam, it may be of use?

YTB (http://www.yorkshirevisitor.com/exec/119287/5386/PROFILE=NDpVS19VS1dFQjkwNTM0NDY6VUtfVUtXRUI1NDI0MD YxOkVOR0xJU0g6VVM6OjEwOTA0ODc1ODc6Ojo=)

David_Wallis
22nd July 2004, 09:23
Adam,

to be honest if bringing the bird Id recommend leeds or York, York is about 5 mins away, Leeds about 20 - 30.

If brining the 22 then I would suggest somewhere with secure parking smile.gif

Steven
22nd July 2004, 09:33
Yorks a bit more than 5 minutes away, but getting accomodation in York at such short notice is nothing short of a miracle.

Its too touristy for places to be empty this late in the day.

David_Wallis
22nd July 2004, 09:36
you know what I mean.. I would say its 10 - 15 but then that makes leeds look miles away..

David smile.gif

Steven
22nd July 2004, 09:38
:D

Adamantium
22nd July 2004, 11:02
not bringing the bird or the 22! :( thogh could bring the 22 now I think about it :D .

probably either golf or a friend's 5 type r.

coming up with a friend and possibly two of his friends.

I know leeds well and would be more than happy to stay there, plus he has a witbread card so we could do leeds for the day and stay att he marriot for the weekend rate, would still prefer some nearer suggestions as I haven't been to york so thought that might be worth trying.

David_Wallis
22nd July 2004, 11:06
you'll have more chance of accomodation in leeds.

Adamantium
22nd July 2004, 11:29
agreed.

will look into it now!

Don't Lift
22nd July 2004, 13:39
Basically, in these situations, it is recommended that due to possible inclement weather, you take the opportunity to procure yourself a situation that will avail upon you the necessity of keeping warm and at the same time dry and in our experience this is best served by a solid, draft free structure, such as a hotel or bed and breakfast. The added advantage is that you will not have to travel far for sustanence in the morning.

Seems obvious but I can always admire people who are never afraid to ask what, to some, are obvious questions!

Adamantium
22nd July 2004, 13:56
and some people are pedantic to their own detriment, when clearly local knowledge is what is required here.

Simon_
22nd July 2004, 14:23
Originally posted by Don't Lift:
Basically, in these situations, it is recommended that due to possible inclement weather, you take the opportunity to procure yourself a situation that will avail upon you the necessity of keeping warm and at the same time dry and in our experience this is best served by a solid, draft free structure, such as a hotel or bed and breakfast. The added advantage is that you will not have to travel far for sustanence in the morning.

Seems obvious but I can always admire people who are never afraid to ask what, to some, are obvious questions! sod that just sling a tent up!

It is summer.. if all else fails sleep in the car.. :D what are you a man or a mouse!

Steven
22nd July 2004, 14:34
If you get up early enough, you can have breakfast at mine, plus you dont have to walk far to the chinese :D

Adamantium
22nd July 2004, 14:55
steven, thanks for the offer, but bear in mind there could be four or possibly five of us including moray.

Steven
22nd July 2004, 15:03
get a big enough tent :D

i could possibly house 2 within the house if your afraid of the elements.

Moray was well behaved last time, even at the chinese sat next to his part in crime, Pat.

Simon_
22nd July 2004, 15:06
lol @ Moray and Pat comment..

Adamantium
22nd July 2004, 15:54
hmmmm,

not afraid of the elements as such, a very kind offer though.

Having said that I have been staying in the marriot in leeds for as lot of years and don't feel like breaking the habit right now.

Checking with the guys tonight and if it isn't there it will be the travel in. Will drive over from leeds in the morning, unless someone wants to meet us and show us the way.

Am talking about the travel inn next to fridays on the kirkstall road near the FT building and flyover.

(taxing my memory a bit here!)

David_Wallis
22nd July 2004, 16:02
flyover is inner ring road... and yes it is next to TGI fridays.. kirkstall road

I will meet up with you all being well if you want smile.gif

Theres also radisson (sp) in town? and a few others such as hilton, queens etc.

David

Steven
22nd July 2004, 20:00
OK No probs Adam, offer is there if you want it.

You could try the Londesborough Arms in Market Weighton, which is the next village along from me.

Richard Askew
22nd July 2004, 20:33
Sod it Adam - chuck a tent in and come drink Stella in the pleasant surroundings of Stevens field with me :D

Richard Askew
22nd July 2004, 20:34
I'm leaving the girlfiend at home that weekend too - dont think her husband would be too happy her coming up :D ;)

Adamantium
23rd July 2004, 08:51
lol, thanks loads to richard and steven, but I am from london! I thought tents were those things that workmen use to cover man holes! surely people don't sleep in those things? ;)

Only kidding,

kindness is much appreciated. Good chance there will be 4/6 of us in two cars, and I will know by the end of the day if it is the travel inn or the marriot or neither! - don't know the radisson and am not a fan of the queens :( .

David, meeting us will be great.

if you need final preparation help on the saturday and are happy just to give out orders, I am happy to help. The extra 2 of 6 may be moray and pat so they are also more than capable. I won't even mind getting my hands dirty!

Will know everything by tonight!

Simon_
23rd July 2004, 08:58
You are letting the side down Adam smile.gif

Camping in Yorkshire all week with the family..

David_Wallis
23rd July 2004, 09:49
lol cheers adam smile.gif

Adamantium
24th July 2004, 09:31
ok, all booked up.

David, it would have been great but we have ended up booking 3 rooms at the travel inn in york town centre.

thanks for the offer.

If I can blag the guys to go out in leeds the night before, will give you a call!

Steven
25th July 2004, 21:28
Adam, if you at travel inn at York, are you coming to the chinese?.

Adamantium
26th July 2004, 08:04
if you are referring to the pre totb meet, then I kind of got a bot lost on that thread since I wasn't there last time.

Have final details been confirmed? is it in york itself or easy to find if it isn't, and are you limited on numbers as there will be at least 2 but probably 5 of us.

Would certainly be up for it if we get there in time which would be traffic and leaving time dependent.

Anyone know how long it takes to get there from Marks?

Steven
26th July 2004, 09:28
3 hours ish

Slooby
29th July 2004, 10:50
I guess that I've left this too late now, but any suggestions for a place for Em and I to stay?

I've checked all the local Travel Inn/Lodges and they're full, neither of us feel like camping, there seems to be no need from anyone for my Dad's van, so there's little point bringing it and so slinging a matress in the back of that is out.

I guess the only options left are to stay further away and miss the meal on Saturday night :(

And I've still got to sort out the ruddy gearbox :rolleyes:

Steven
29th July 2004, 11:14
Tim, have you tried my in laws? may just be lucky, manage to fit you in?

Not the best place in the world, but ok i guess, is the Ship Inn in Shiptonthorpe, you can park your car at mine (its a 2 minute walk to mine and to the chinese.

http://www2.bt.com/btPortal/application?origin=busbyname_list_result.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.portlet.event&pageid=edq&portletid=EDQPortlet&wfevent=link.go&com.bea.e vent.type=linkclick&oLDesc=Single+Record&oSiteArea=edq&oPJsp=busbyname_list_result.jsp&oPt=EDQPortlet&oLName=link.singleRec&oOJsp=busbyname_search.jsp&oPg=edq&siteArea=edq&busKey=2 (http://www2.bt.com/btPortal/application?origin=busbyname_list_result.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.portlet.event&pageid=edq&portletid=EDQPortlet&wfevent=link.go&com.bea.event.type=linkclick&oLDesc=Single+Record&oSiteArea=edq&oPJsp=busbyname_list_result.jsp&oPt=EDQPortlet&oLName=link.singleRec&oOJsp=busbyname_search.jsp&oPg=edq&siteArea=edq&busKey=2)

If not, ring me, and i will try sort something out for you.

Steven

Adamantium
29th July 2004, 11:59
steven, I am taking a special trip to basildon tomorrow so that I can pick up my golf and make the drive up to york in good time for the chinese.

this means that moray and I will be able to make it.

This is because the guy who was bringing my golf over from basildon won't be coming up until after 5pm when he finishes work so there is no chance we would make it to york in time.

Do you have a postcode for the area with the chinese in it so that I can print something today at work from streetmap?

thanks in advance!

more looking forward to the meal than totb.

Steven
29th July 2004, 12:15
YO43 3PL

Richard Askew
29th July 2004, 13:23
Strange numberplate Steve :D

Adamantium
29th July 2004, 13:42
thanks steven! spot on!

Slooby
29th July 2004, 15:12
Thanks Steven, spoke to your Ma in law and she's booked up, but she gave me the numbers for the Ship and the Kingfisher.

No joy reaching anyone at either yet, but I'll try again later!

Chris B
29th July 2004, 15:17
Try the Steer Inn. It was fully booked by alot of skyline boys but they have changed there Hotel. So should be plenty room there.

Steven
29th July 2004, 15:39
Do you know why they changed?

There are gypsy campsites behind it and to the side of it now.

Or so i believe.

Ship would be nearest us, and chinese.

Slooby
29th July 2004, 16:10
Booked in at the Ship :D

We're in the cottage opposite your house apparently Steve ;)

Adamantium
29th July 2004, 16:39
g-d help you steven!

Chris B
29th July 2004, 17:00
Originally posted by Steven:
Do you know why they changed?

There are gypsy campsites behind it and to the side of it now.

Or so i believe.

Ship would be nearest us, and chinese. Yip they moved cause of that reason. They got scared. :D

I stayed there @ SSO no trouble at all.

Dyney
29th July 2004, 22:02
I stayed in the campsite (assume that's where the gypsy's are now) at last years TOTB and the only trouble was the from the RS boys :eek: :rolleyes:

Steven
30th July 2004, 11:25
Ahh, nice one tim, just dont f'ing park on the road right opposite our drive, or i will apply my moving vehicle procedure ;) .

Use the driveway the cottage has.

Campsite at Steer has been acquired by Gypsys fairly recently. They are ok as far as i know, but it scares some people off.