PDA

View Full Version : 22b.com TOTB3 Pit arrangements

Paul@Zen
9th May 2004, 13:46
What are we doing for TOTB3 wrt the pits? I know there are restrictions on the number of people allowed in the pits, but frankly each car DOES require a few people aswell as the driver to keep it going through the day.

If the weather is anything like last year, I think we should make some arrangements for providing shade. You can now buy budget "EZ-UP" style awnings for around 100 enough to cover the front half of a car, or seat a number of people in comfort.

There should also be better provision for refreshments, bottles of pop and mineral water from supermarkets are much cheaper than getting stuff from the burger vans. It's all too easy not to eat or drink on the day.

We also should consider communal fuel storage. We should really be trying to run without full tanks of fuel, and storing fuel in a safe manner out of direct sunlight. Do we even want to go as far as buying a few 250l drums of race fuel between us? Or buying Methanol and NF for general consumption? Good fuel may be as much a safety measure as a performance one if the weather is like last year.

Tools etc should also be sorted, although sharing them is a complete nightmare. Jacks and larger stuff are easy though, and shouldn't create arguments.

I think sorting these things out will also help with creating team spirit and friendly atmosphere.

Paul

Old Trout
9th May 2004, 15:12
I think one of the best things for creating a team spirit is to actually have team first by knowing who has qualified and is in the team and who isn't :D :D

I am sure that once the team is decided the organisation of the day can be worked out and the suggestions you have made are very sensible.

Trout :D

Paul@Zen
9th May 2004, 15:16
Are you suggesting your car might not make the grade Trout? ;)

Paul

Old Trout
9th May 2004, 15:23
Paul,

having produced the best result from a Subaru in the UK that I am aware of in 2004, no that was not what was at the forefront of my mind.

[ 09. May 2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: T6 Trout ]

Simon_
9th May 2004, 20:58
Happy to be part of the pit team if I can be of help as I KNOW my car is not up to the grade.. lol

Simon :D

CM-TOTB
9th May 2004, 21:03
fair points, need to ask that the rep liase direct on this one. room for the 10 cars, plus a couple (max) of support cars will be given to each team.22b team marquee etc is fine, but no trade sponsored marquees please (unless one of our official event sponsors.)
fuel storage- need to be safe and secure here obviously, please dont make plans for any huge quantities of fuel storage in pitlane please. we are looking at options of getting an optimax tanker on site in a safe area, tbc, but need to be contacted if you want to bring more than a jerry can or two on site.

other than that you are more than welcome to utilise the space given to make a team enclosure and to display the cars when not racing. any queries tho give us a shout please.

this year we will be restricting pitlane to competitors and official support, by use of pitlane/competitor passes, no one else will be parking cars in there.
anyone with a trailer requirement should also let us know, we will be offering the option of bringing the car onto site saturday afternoon, and parking it up/scrutineering it then, to be left on site (secure site with security and our people only on their all night). trailers can all be parked out of pitlane in a secure area to the back of the handling cct again, no public access to it.
cheers
chris

Dyney
10th May 2004, 00:12
I'm quite happy to lend a hand as pit crew

I'am looking into borrowing/hiring a marquee that should take 6 cars and loads of kit easy(it's huge!!) :D

[ 10. May 2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Dyney ]

Paul@Zen
10th May 2004, 08:24
Chris,

I will drop you a mail.

If you can get an Optimax tanker that is good, but there are going to be plenty of people running on race fuel. 250l drums are argueably safer than jerry cans.

Paul

David_Wallis
10th May 2004, 08:51
I for one am willing to bring tools + lend a hand even if im not running smile.gif

Paul, I'll think you'll find if your competing then I wouldnt want to use your fuel.. ;)

Not a dig, but I'd stick sugar in the communal fuel ;) and run my own supply :D

Cord
10th May 2004, 09:37
Can you save a quiet seat for me in the corner? If it's anything like last year i want somewhere none skyline related to come and hide!!

Simon_
10th May 2004, 09:42
Originally posted by Cord:
Can you save a quiet seat for me in the corner? If it's anything like last year i want somewhere none skyline related to come and hide!! PMSL..

Adamantium
10th May 2004, 10:22
Cord, would like to think you are welcome anytime.

I think I have failed to appreciate the magnitude of this event.

Sounds to me like all the more reason not to run!!!

what happens if you book and pay for your place but the car isn't ready in time?

can it be sold to other people?

Cord
10th May 2004, 10:34
Why thank you :D

If you feel pressure is getting to you, just remember at the end of the day your only driving a car, and all the people watching (apart from the chav's with Nova's) won't be that arsed if you make a dog's dinner of it. Last year Hugh was having a complete nightmare trying to get his car off the line, nobody took the piss too much, in fact loads of people came and offered advice, and at the end of the day, with his newly aquired skills he won the drag shoot out.

p.s. I won't be driving my own car, but will happily pilot yours tongue.gif

David_Wallis
10th May 2004, 10:53
Adam,

You can't book a place.. thats scoobyshootout.

Adam I would aim for 2005 if I were you.

or see corky bells guide to ten of the best.. tongue.gif

David

Adamantium
10th May 2004, 10:55
david, I would take your humour and shove it up your arse tongue.gif ;)

Would rather aim to watch you personally.

Like the sound of the atmosphere, not too keen on this who's got the biggest dick type attitude though.

[ 11. May 2004, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Adam M ]

David_Wallis
10th May 2004, 11:34
oooo.. you want to watch me shove something up my arse smile.gif

Not really appropriate for a moderator.. im becoming increasingly concerned with your attitude:p so my response is: shut it you ' suf'er'ner'

PS me and David, Sorry David and I arent having a pissing competition. We both have very very similar specs and also know the 'Full' spec of each others cars.. and I only have this friendly banter as I would consider we are friends.. same as Steven and me etc..

David

David_Wallis
10th May 2004, 11:34
HOWEVER...

I wouldnt recommend watching.. ask steven.

David

Paul@Zen
10th May 2004, 11:50
Are you saying that Steven watched you shove something? Is he mentally scarred?

Paul

Simon_
10th May 2004, 11:59
lol..

Adam.. stop panicking already!!
besides is the car going to be able to run before end of June to get a qualifying ticket?

Everyone knows you have not run on the strip before so you have your excuses ready..

;)

Simon

David_Wallis
10th May 2004, 13:07
LOL, no he watched totb1 with tek2

Old Trout
10th May 2004, 18:32
Originally posted by Adam M:
not too keen on this whose got the biggest dick type attitude though. Adam,

if you sense any biggest dick attitude it is all banter as David says. He knows my car inside out and I wish I knew his ;)

So stop worrying, overall it was one of the best car related days out I have ever had, and I was knackered. The only fly in the ointment was tweenie getting carried away criticising me for consistently beating his 60ft times ;) tongue.gif :D:D

So run if you want to have some fun. Don't if you don't want to. BUT, whatever you decide to do, make your mind up!!!

Slooby
10th May 2004, 22:20
Going back on topic, I maybe able to borrow my Dad's Mercedes Vito van for the day, it's white (ie cooler than most in direct sunlight) and has a huge tailgate plus sliding doors on each side.

Ideal for wheel and tool storage :D

johnfelstead
10th May 2004, 22:23
Adam make his mind up? that will be the day.

Lateral Performance Ltd
10th May 2004, 22:36
That's nothing. You should see what it's like when Adam, and Moray try and make a joint decision !!!

RSVR Racer
11th May 2004, 14:23
Surely Adam youre driving's not that bad that you cant pilot the car in a straight line? tongue.gif LOL

You could always ask Cord to do the handling circuit for you :D

Cord
11th May 2004, 16:35
Yay!!!!!!!!!

:D

Slooby
11th May 2004, 22:40
Em says she'll volunteer to do the handling circuit for you...as long as someone promises to check there aren't any Porsches in the vacinity ;)

(sorry, in-joke - never position a porker behind Em when she's having a bad day...Scoob 1, 997 considerably flatter and wider at the front end than when it left the factory)

Dyney
13th May 2004, 15:50
Sorry guys looks like the Marquee ideas hit a problem! I can hire it for a very small fee ;) but can't get it there as the poles are 7" long :(

Adamantium
13th May 2004, 17:26
997?

I am impressed, not only can she remodel porsches but she can time travel too! impressive.

Failing that she may have been in stuttgart!

My driving is perfectly good and I can even control the car to a standard I am happy with, the point was that ia m hoping the car will be competitive and so if I wanted it to do even remotely well, I would hope it would be well driven. Hence my original felstead plans.

At the moment, given current progress, I don't reckon it will even be ready by the day! :(

Old Trout
14th May 2004, 05:51
Originally posted by Dyney:
the poles are 7" long :( Fook me - that is a low marquee...

...why can't you get them here, are they so short you might lose them?

Trout ;)

Simon_
14th May 2004, 06:48
Originally posted by Dyney:
Sorry guys looks like the Marquee ideas hit a problem! I can hire it for a very small fee ;) but can't get it there as the poles are 7" long :( Would offer to tow my trailer up and collect and deliver but I am intending towing my trailer tent up for a long weekend so I can attend TOTB and visit my Mum and have a break away with the family etc..

Simon

David_Wallis
14th May 2004, 09:57
dyney, soft southerner (best be southerner or ill look stupid)

You obviously arent coming in your car as it went bang, so just ram them in.. bend em, snap em and we can weld em up again...

Cue cockeyed marquee.. than falls over in slightest gust.

David

Dyney
14th May 2004, 19:55
If it was only a few poles I would put the rear seat down ;) and pull the front seat out!!
But My mate uses a 6 wheeled Range Rover to haul it all around and it only just fits in that!!! :eek:

Don't think he'd be to happy at welding them back together. LOL :D

Yes, I'am a Southerner and not a Northern Monkey ;)

My car hasn't gone bang!
But only because it's in the bodyshop after some twat drove into the side of it :(
Should have it back on the road new and improved for TOTB smile.gif

Richard Askew
14th May 2004, 21:22
My car hasn't gone bang!
..yet tongue.gif

Slooby
16th May 2004, 08:55
How many 7 foot poles Ian?

The vito takes sheets of 8x4 on a regualr basis so should take 7 feet with no worries...and it's based in Kent ;)

Dyney
16th May 2004, 14:10
Ahh! I feel a plan coming on smile.gif

You taking the Vito up as well as the Scoob?

Slooby
16th May 2004, 15:20
Was thinking that way, pleanty of space then for spare wheels, tools, gennies etc for us Southern Softies...just need a driver if I end up in the team ;)

Dyney
16th May 2004, 20:36
I'll drive it if you need me too, though I had promised ScoobyDuck I'd take the Scoob up as he's driving to the SSO.

Thought about a trailer for the Scoob?
If the Vito's got a tow bar;)

fuz
17th May 2004, 20:33
after seeing elvington first hand on sunday on a cool day would it be stupid to have a small generator and a bigish electric blower to keep intakes down?

this would be before the car races and not on wheels in front of the car before u ask oh and not under the bonnet

hav i covered all of them ;)

David_Wallis
17th May 2004, 20:53
Welder, compressor, highlift jack.. PLIERS! :D , tools erm..

David

Paul@Zen
17th May 2004, 23:11
Some shade, easy chair, beer.

Knock yourself out lads!

Paul

Simon_
18th May 2004, 07:44
topless bird to deliver the beer??

Simon :D

CM-TOTB
18th May 2004, 22:07
quick point regarding fuel cans, i can confirm that each competitor will only be allowed to have one fuel can max with them in pitlane (in a metal/approved jerrycan, ie not the plastic cheapo type emergency cans). site regs wont allow people/teams to have large fuel drums stored in pitlane, for obvious reasons.
we are however happy to accomodate teams/individuals who wish to refuel, or to have a larger (approved) storage drum on site, but they will have to be placed in a specified area that only competitors (in cars) will have access to, at the far side of the handling area, well away from public and the like.
i'm sure you will agree that this is the only safe course of action with so many people and cars in pitlane.
drop me an email if you do wish to arrange fuel storage etc.
cheers
chris

Slooby
18th May 2004, 22:57
Ian (Dyney) Vito is off I'm afraid. I'm not interested in being involved anymore, sorry :(

Dyney
19th May 2004, 20:41
Tim,
I gathered, no worries mate smile.gif

ScoobyDuck
13th June 2004, 15:57
so whats the deal with getting a 'pit pass' ?
does 'offical camera crew' work ? tongue.gif

CM-TOTB
13th June 2004, 21:10
pitlane parking passes-competitors only, our crew, and a support car or two per team. only the people who get their passes will be parking in pitlane, everyone else must park (200yrds away!) in public parking.
rgds

Simon_
13th June 2004, 21:20
What about people wise?

I will gladly help out all I can on peoples cars or in anyway in the pitlane but if it is so many crew per car then people might prefer to choose others to help etc..

I can do intercooler water spray well :D ;)

Simon

Paul@Zen
13th June 2004, 21:35
Race fuel
Shade (marquees worked very well at shootout)
Generator
Electric fans
Tools
Compressed air
Storage for interiors etc

No mention of how large a "support vehicle" might be....

All good stuff, busy busy busy though this year to be ready well in advance. I think the cars this year should need less fettling on the day too.

Paul

Steven
14th June 2004, 07:41
I can get Emma to bring the horse box on the back of the jeep :D

Generator i can get, brought it last year.
Compressor i can bring, as last year.
Tools, would be easier if people brough their own, and stored in one place, although i will bring all mine again (minus a 12mm and 13mm small socket :mad: )
Interiors could go in the horse box if needed.

?

David_Wallis
14th June 2004, 09:00
horse box needs a wash then..

Digital Tyre pressure gauge..

High Lift Jack
Axle Stands
Oil
Gearbox Oil
ATF
Brake Fluid
Brake Bleeding kit (ie bit of pipe and a coke bottle)

Decent Torque Wrench
Jubilee Clips
Duct Tape
Plenty Of Tywraps.
Mig Welder (being Serious)
Tig Welder (being Serious again.)

Steven
14th June 2004, 09:03
It will be washed out

Old Trout
14th June 2004, 09:54
Steven,

I have a 12mm socket you can have. You gave it to me ages ago as you thought I had left it in your garage - in fact after TOTB II!

Steven
14th June 2004, 09:56
Trout, that was yours :D . Mine disappeared at the shoot out :(

Simon_
14th June 2004, 11:56
Originally posted by Steven:
Trout, that was yours :D . Mine disappeared at the shoot out :( I haven't been in my tool box since SSO, I'll check they didn't get put in there or something.

Simon

Steven
14th June 2004, 12:03
Dont worry Simon, its only a couple of sockets, will get some more.

I hardly used them tbh, as they arent that deep, they just come in handy occasionly.

Simon_
14th June 2004, 12:09
I didn't use any of them, but people were using my tools and your tools just wondered if something went back in the wrong box by mistake.

Will have various tools scattered over the drive on Friday to change the cambelt so if I have anything that is not mine I'll notice then smile.gif

Simon

ScoobyDuck
14th June 2004, 18:35
CM-TOTB - cheers for that, i was meaning people, as i think transport is covered (although we might need to 'drop-off' some rarther large poles :D )

how many 'offical crew members' then?

David_Wallis
14th June 2004, 18:58
pit lane will be open to pedestrian traffic wont it?

CM-TOTB
14th June 2004, 19:39
yes the pitlane is open to spectators etc as ususal. if anyone has any fuel, please ensure its in a proper jery can with lockable lid *(ie the metal type), no unsealed or plastic fuel containers please, we will have a guy patrolling pitlane looking at safety aspects like this.
if the team reps wish to drop me a line next week, with details of a coupls of team vehicles etc needing passes i will add them to our list. i'm sure you will all appreciate our need to keep all other cars and traffic out of the pitlane this year!
rgds

ScoobyDuck
15th June 2004, 18:05
ok . must have gotten confused somewhere along the line. sure it said it wasn't open!

Paul@Zen
15th June 2004, 21:23
Steve,

open to spectators, but I think specifically not their cars

Paul

CM-TOTB
15th June 2004, 22:10
correct, no cars other than the competitors and approved crew!

ScoobyDuck
15th June 2004, 22:56
thats fine. AFAIK it's never been ! well- not really ! tongue.gif

Simon_
7th July 2004, 07:09
Chris,

Is there a discount entry for pit crew?

Is there a discount for advanced entrance tickets or is it pay on the day only?

Simon the skint flint :D

Steven
7th July 2004, 07:14
Reading the website, www.totb.co.uk (http://www.totb.co.uk)

There is a discount for early payment, think price is 15 as opposed to 20. No discount for pit crew.

Simon_
7th July 2004, 07:16
Many thanks..

I was looking at shoot out website thinking "something not right here..?"

it is too early..

Adamantium
8th July 2004, 06:57
do we have decided pit crew? wouldn't mind helping out, or am happy to drive if someone such as moray doesn't want to drive up to york.

Simon_
8th July 2004, 07:48
My understanding is that the pit area will be a walk in and out and so it will be just down to anyone whose car is running to tell anyone to piss off if they are unwanted etc..

I am unable to offer a lift to anyone this time unfortuantly as I am travelling up early to spend some time with me Mum.. car will be fully loaded too.. so I suspect Moray might indeed need a lift :D

Slooby
8th July 2004, 08:35
Does the southern contingent still want me to borrow my Dad's Vito? It's not especailly quick, and only seats 2 but it is spacious :D

Dyney
8th July 2004, 14:47
If you need it for wheel/tool transport then yes smile.gif

Would be handy as we can lock away wheels and equipment that might otherwise go walkies!
Enough room for the whole team smile.gif

Dyney
8th July 2004, 14:47
Does it have a tow bar? redface.gif

Steven
8th July 2004, 15:26
I thought we could get a couple of vehicles in?

Em was going to take the shogun with the horsebox on, tools and stuff in horse box, food in Jeep :D

Anyway, whichever, i think the selection crew need to decide

David_Wallis
8th July 2004, 15:29
We are allowed support vehicles per car..

Im either going to bring a team of mechanics and a fully kitted out service van tongue.gif

Or a full on rally crew :D

David

Steven
8th July 2004, 15:41
we are, but not in the pit area. Only a couple of vehicles per Team IIRC.

David_Wallis
8th July 2004, 15:46
you sure?

Thats pretty useless imho if so.

Steven
8th July 2004, 16:15
From further up the page

Originally posted by CM-TOTB:
yes the pitlane is open to spectators etc as ususal. if anyone has any fuel, please ensure its in a proper jery can with lockable lid *(ie the metal type), no unsealed or plastic fuel containers please, we will have a guy patrolling pitlane looking at safety aspects like this.
if the team reps wish to drop me a line next week, with details of a coupls of team vehicles etc needing passes i will add them to our list. i'm sure you will all appreciate our need to keep all other cars and traffic out of the pitlane this year!
rgds

Dyney
8th July 2004, 18:27
I that case, the bigger the vehicle the better :D

Slooby
8th July 2004, 18:58
Right, sod the Vito lets hire a 7.5 tonner with a 1.5 ton tail lift ;)

(I'm not being serious there....honest)

The Vito IIRC has around 4 cubic metres of load space and can carry a tonne. Unfortunately it has no tow bar

I was thinking with a contingent coming up from down south it might make sense to load our wheels etc into a van so it's easier to pack...and has room for a spare engine or two :rolleyes:

Steven
8th July 2004, 20:38
George Smith CRD - Scotland
Chris Jones - Yorkshire
David 'Trout' Taylor - Yorkshire
Paul Blamire - Sarf
Alan McCrae - Sarf
Steven 'P20SPD' Darley - Yorkshire
Tim Whiteside - Sarf
Kev_p1_betsy - Scotland
David Wallis - Yorkshire
Andy Forrest - Scotland

Three of you then.

Slooby
8th July 2004, 21:27
Smart arse ;)

Mind you, add to that the collection of bits that will no doubt have to wind their way northwards from Bushy :D

It does have the benefit of being a largish, lockable storage device for the team

David_Wallis
8th July 2004, 23:40
I will probably need my own support vechicle.. will try and speak to chris and see if we can do as discussed at rwyb day

Slooby
13th July 2004, 22:47
Incidentally do we want one of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36677&item=7910921609&rd=1)?

David_Wallis
13th July 2004, 23:12
Nah.. we want a team 22b one :D

Slooby
13th July 2004, 23:19
True...want some designs ;)

Simon_
16th July 2004, 09:51
Was surprised to read this on the totb website which might effect you also Paul

TOTB III SPECTATOR TICKETS

No children under 12 allowed on site

Paul@Zen
16th July 2004, 10:04
wont affect me!

The flying babysitter (mum and dad) will be inbound on the friday till monday!

Paul

Simon_
16th July 2004, 10:05
okay cool.

Suzanne was considering bringing the daughter to watch for a bit but was not sure but that answers that one.. :D

Steven
16th July 2004, 10:15
No its a missprint. Its supposed to be no unaccompanied children, and children under 16 get in free.

Simon_
16th July 2004, 10:19
oh okay... :D

David_Wallis
17th July 2004, 00:55
thank fook.. anybody else just discovered what simons wife is called LOL :D

CM-TOTB
17th July 2004, 18:15
yeah our webguy has dispeared at the mo and i cant get that error corrected just yet.
kids under 16 free, as long as accompanied by parent or guardian
rgds

Simon_
17th July 2004, 20:24
Originally posted by David_Wallis:
thank fook.. anybody else just discovered what simons wife is called LOL :D should I take out a username quick before you do David?? :D

Simon

Simon_
17th July 2004, 20:25
Originally posted by CM-TOTB:
yeah our webguy has dispeared at the mo and i cant get that error corrected just yet.
kids under 16 free, as long as accompanied by parent or guardian
rgds great.. gives us the freedom to do what ever suits on the day then.. many thanks

Simon

Steven
23rd July 2004, 07:38
Tickets arrived yesterday, comlete with car number stickers etc.

I also received a sticker for a support vehicle.

Anyone else?

Adamantium
23rd July 2004, 08:53
do we need to pre buy entrance tickets? is it worth doing?

Slooby
23rd July 2004, 08:55
I booked my Dad's van for next weekend, are we going to need it? (even as a place for Em and I to sleep...)

Simon_
23rd July 2004, 09:00
Originally posted by Adam M:
do we need to pre buy entrance tickets? is it worth doing? You can buy them on the door..

I was going to order one on the website but I leave for Yorkshire on Wednesday so if it didn't arrive with me by Tuesdays post I would have missed it.. so will buy on the door more than likely.. hope to get there early to avoid the queue.

Simon

Steven
23rd July 2004, 09:07
20 on the gate 15 in advance i think, but think the timescale would limit things.

Simon_
23rd July 2004, 09:09
Yes that is the prices.

Either that or I'll have to remember my balaclarva and fence wire cutters.. (joke)

mikeesingh
23rd July 2004, 09:50
monday is latest to order by, after that you have to pay special delivery charges as well
last year i got 20 tickets and got discount, but this year the minimum is 50 tickets before you get discount.

mikee

Simon_
23rd July 2004, 09:52
ouch!

Dyney
23rd July 2004, 17:06
Has anyone organised the shelter?

Steven
27th July 2004, 06:45
Tom is bringing both the "marquees" again, or so i believe.

So is there only me that has the Supprot Vehicle Pass ?

Paul@Zen
27th July 2004, 07:26
I am thinking of getting small cover just for engine bay/extra shade, Argos special instant awning

Slooby
27th July 2004, 08:38
Need to know if I still need to bring the van.

I know Guiness would like a lockable storage area, does any one else want one?

Slooby
30th July 2004, 16:50
Right I'm not going to be bringing the van now, just the Focus, but before I set off without any tools or spares is there anything people need me to bring?

I've a spare set of 17's with just legal S02's on them, a load of tools, pair of halfrauds trolley jacks, axle stands etc I could bring if anybody thinks we'll need them?

Cord
30th July 2004, 16:53
I'll have a nice chilled slab of wife beater please :D

Steven
30th July 2004, 17:54
Should be ok thanks Tim.

However, i would 2nd Marks suggestion. :D

Slooby
30th July 2004, 19:35
Hmm, slight problem there, Moray practically drank me out of beer whilest being fed after a hard days slog on the car earlier this week...

I know I could have bought more, but I'm on the Atkins diet (lost nearly a stone in 2 weeks :eek: ) and beer is verboten :( Although Vodka and diet coke isn't :D Guess what I'm brining ;)

Richard Askew
30th July 2004, 21:05
I has shed loads of beer to bring :D