PDA

View Full Version : 16th May - Elvington RWYB - Test Day

Old Trout
23rd April 2004, 18:46
Ok ladies,

get your cars in gear, a mere three weeks away. First major test day/RWYB at Elvington this year.

Be there - or be somewhere else ;)

Edited to add - BRING YOUR HELMET AND YOUR DRIVING LICENSE!!

Possum :D :D

PS I will be there :D

[ 24. April 2004, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Possum Fink ]

David_Wallis
23rd April 2004, 18:54
me too.. may even bring the car.. NOI.

fuz
23rd April 2004, 20:04
now thats a cunning plan

don't forget your helmet

CM-TOTB
23rd April 2004, 20:18
yeah helmets are a must this year please, no one will run without one, no passenger rides either i'm afraid!

Anders
24th April 2004, 12:25
if i am lucky wagon might be ready for this :D will be a chance to enjoy Trudas cooking again :cool:

CM-TOTB
12th May 2004, 20:39
hope to see loads of you on sunday at elvington!

anyone travelling up who wants to meet up on route can pick us up at m1 north wooley edge services (j38/39 ish) at 7.30- 7.45am!
rgds
chris

Old Trout
12th May 2004, 22:14
Hoping to have car reassembled by then!!!!

It had bluddy better be ;)

Trout :D

David_Wallis
13th May 2004, 09:33
If you want a hand, call me smile.gif

T-uk
13th May 2004, 17:29
If you want a hand, call metrouts already done an 11.7 to pretty much guarantee his TOTB place , so perhaps working on getting some times for your own car might be a better idea david ;)

Paul@Zen
13th May 2004, 18:05
agreed

RSVR Racer
13th May 2004, 20:04
David, if you want a hand, DONT call me :D (Im no good with cars ;) )

David_Wallis
13th May 2004, 21:05
Maybe Im not bothered for totb..

its too bitchy too stressfull and too expensive.

its a ****ing gloryfied pissing competition, and quite frankly it changes people's attitudes more than a new girlfriend, and to be honest I cant be arsed with the attitude.. thanks for everyones concern about my car.. Im waiting on some parts and some other bits..

Hopefully will make this years debut at sshootout, no loss if it doesnt.. not.

David

Paul@Zen
13th May 2004, 22:27
Uh oh, a severe case of Adamitis!

johnfelstead
13th May 2004, 22:39
Not half. :eek: ;)

Old Trout
14th May 2004, 05:48
David,

I agree with you....anyway its Friday, and if you are really nice I am sure I can get Truda to make you some chilli this evening :D :D

Splosh

Adamantium
14th May 2004, 08:47
I tend to agree, does sound like a case of adamitis. I suspect his is temporary. Mine is by definition, incurable, unless I visit the deed poll office.

David_Wallis
14th May 2004, 09:52
<shakes head at blatent attempt to bribe me>

Was going to go buy some metal tommorow morning though. smile.gif

David

Old Trout
14th May 2004, 10:03
David,

apparently chilli is off...it is either Thai stir fry, chinese/indian/chippy take out or Burger King, again!

Mmmmmmm - metal ;)

Steven
14th May 2004, 10:39
Hmm burger king/chinese/chippy, i could eat em all right now.

T6 your phone will ring

Steven

David_Wallis
14th May 2004, 11:13
Yuck,Yuck,Yum,yum,yum,yum

Yuck = Potential Green stuff in it. (ok anything that grows)

Thats it, If it moves I eat it (DONT EVEN GO THERE) if it grows then I dont.

LMFAO.

steven, ill be in the pub at 12:30 if you want to join us, unless your off out with the sad gits,( work colleagues)

David

Steven
14th May 2004, 11:21
nope, working through

Steven
14th May 2004, 12:55
Will be fitting somebodies gearbox tonight, so T6 will be running on Sunday :D

Paul@Zen
14th May 2004, 13:30
cool

i'm running on sunday too, but not at elvington :D

David_Wallis
14th May 2004, 14:32
why dont we all change our name..

Paul is that because when you get shit times you want no witnesses? or that your scared of the competition and you'll get no admirers?

David

T-uk
14th May 2004, 16:55
Paul is that because when you get shit times you want no witnesses? or that your scared of the competition and you'll get no admirers?strange comment from someone complaining about bitchiness.

if you have the bottle to line up against paul between now and scoobyshootout , I will put 50 on it that paul takes you tongue.gif

fuz
14th May 2004, 17:10
map (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?GridE=470335&GridN=447874&client=europe&X=470335&Y=447874&scale=100000&place=Elvington,+York&db=hcgaz&local=&type=&start=&limit=&coordsys=gb&overviewmap=ap)

Paul@Zen
14th May 2004, 18:07
David,

The reason is because there is a perfectly good drag racing event a mere 13 miles from my house on the same day.

If you want to pay my petrol and 35/hr for my time I will gladly take the trip to elvington on sunday.

Paul

Lateral Performance Ltd
15th May 2004, 00:34
Originally posted by T-uk:

if you have the bottle to line up against paul between now and scoobyshootout , I will put 50 on it that paul takes you tongue.gif I'll take that bet. 50 to charity of winners choice ?

Mark.

Rob G
15th May 2004, 06:02
The Tweenierob Fund :D

Rob

T-uk
15th May 2004, 10:08
done deal mark , you just need to get davids finger out his arse between now and shootout.

how is your own car coming along , are things looking good for scoobyshootout?

Lateral Performance Ltd
15th May 2004, 18:54
My car is being sorted, but I never expected it to be ready for the Scoobyshootout.

Including Adam's, there are 3 engines going on the dyno in the next two weeks, and once I have that out the way, I'll be concentrating on getting mine finished, hopefully for TOTB.

Mark.

Simon_
15th May 2004, 20:46
Originally posted by Lateral Performance Ltd:
My car is being sorted, but I never expected it to be ready for the Scoobyshootout.

Including Adam's, there are 3 engines going on the dyno in the next two weeks, and once I have that out the way, I'll be concentrating on getting mine finished, hopefully for TOTB.

Mark. About time! *

Simon :D

* he says cheekly knowing that most of the bits allocated for the car people keep borrowing ;) :D :D

T-uk
16th May 2004, 10:56
so has trout taken andy's title yet?

MorayMackenzie
16th May 2004, 12:08
David,

"Yuck = Potential Green stuff in it. (ok anything that grows)

Thats it, If it moves I eat it (DONT EVEN GO THERE) if it grows then I dont."

Cows aren't actually born the same size that they are when they get burgerised, which is probably a great relief for their mothers. There tends to be some _growth_ involved before the burgerisation process occurs. ;) smile.gif

Moray

Adam,

Would you consider swapping your place in the engine build queue with someone who has an interest in running at scoobyshootout? Maybe that could allow another car to participate. smile.gif

Moray

Slooby
16th May 2004, 13:34
Moray, I know somewhere else that could possibly get a build done before the end of the month...call me ;)

MorayMackenzie
16th May 2004, 15:37
Um, thanks Tim, but, um, no thanks. smile.gif

I think you've read more into my question than was there to read. smile.gif I was asking Adam the question just to see if the concept would be agreeable to him in order to get another engine ready for that event. I was not meaning my own engine. smile.gif

Not sure about that winkey smiley after the "call me"... does Emma know you post like that? ;) smile.gif

Slooby
16th May 2004, 15:54
Ahh ok...

tongue.gif

Is that better btw ;)

Andy.F
16th May 2004, 16:27
Originally posted by T-uk:
so has trout taken andy's title yet? Well if he hasn't....he needs a slap :D and if he has....he also needs a slap :D

ps, time is running out ;)

Andy

T-uk
16th May 2004, 17:39
LOL at andy :D

anyone know how pavlo got on?

Old Trout
16th May 2004, 17:46
Errrr..........no! You can live in peace even longer.

Spent most of the day playing with a dodgy pipe that kept blowing off - but the Yorkshire Massive came to the rescue again :D

Once fixed, right at the end of the day managed to get some practice in with five runs all between 11.83 and 11.95 :D :D

It was very, very hot and the Pectel was pulling out a lot of timing - so need to sort charge temps (running at 48deg C, 61deg C on the start line). out now - the HKS FMIC just aint big enough.

Looking forward to see what Andy can bring out to play now.

Trout :D :D :D

PS Thanks again to all the crew who put so much into to making today possible Steven (Emma), David, Pat, Mark and finally Truda :D
PPS Wonder what all the potential qualifiers got at North Weald - I was hearing promises of mid to low 11s :D

Paul@Zen
16th May 2004, 18:35
Best was a 12.2 with the current car. No headers, ordinary optimax fuel.

Front wheels spun like a bastid all through first on limiter, but was safest way I think without sensible light timings, as they tended to stage for about 1/2 sec, then amber green straight away.

Terminals were 118.8 on one of the slower runs, 12.6ish but only one lane had terminals so it was difficult to get them. Charge temps likely to be an issue at north weald to, similar surface soaking up all the sun of which there was plenty.

paul

CM-TOTB
16th May 2004, 18:39
cheers to all who came today, excellent turn out if a little warm!
i'll post the full results etc as i get them in the week.

fastest 1/4m today was the nur spec skyline at 11.3s 127mph
top speed was the other skyline at 174mph.|(nigels)
nigel also won the head to head final in a great run with Trout's scooby! very very close!
we still have places left for scoobyshootout if people book this week, maybe room on the day also.
next rwyb is the 4th july.
cheers
chris m

Old Trout
16th May 2004, 19:04
Chris,

good to see you :D

Was very frustrating not getting a complete top speed run - the bloody pipe kept coming off at 160mph!!

See you again soon.

Trout :D :D

fuz
16th May 2004, 19:31
nice to meet you chris down the lanes :D

worked on my tan more than the thorn in my side the dreaded 13's

pleased with my 1 mile 1/4 time though smile.gif

Steven
16th May 2004, 19:35
trout nearly did get a slap Andy ;) I had time to go buy a burger and coke whilst he changed from 2nd to 3rd ;)

Just hope he doesnt hear the abuse i hurled verbally when he got a 1.69 60foot time, and then took more than a second to change from 2nd to 3rd, to then record a 12.06 or something at 122mph. Truda, can you edit that bit of the video please.

With more practice (without having to worry about intercooler pipes blowing apart) he WILL beat the Andy Forrest record.

Well done David, had fun, swapping bits from my car to yours :D . My boost pipework is now held together with cable ties :rolleyes: . Good job i am not running any boost yet :D

Steven
16th May 2004, 19:37
Oh, and whilst i was busy working on your car, why the feck didnt someone tell me how bleeding hot it was???

I now have a bright red face, neck and arms. Stinging like hell.

:D

fuz
16th May 2004, 20:15
:eek:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3336188#post3336188

Zoidberg
16th May 2004, 20:23
Well done trout, can't wait to see what it can do when it is all finished.

Also, any videos of the day?

Andy.F
16th May 2004, 20:26
Woooohooo ....Calders 11.2 sec ..............the record stays in Scotland smile.gif

Trout, you might struggle to qualify at this rate ;)

Andy

Steven
16th May 2004, 20:33
WOW

Andy.F
16th May 2004, 20:47
Race to the 10's now :D

CM-TOTB
16th May 2004, 20:58
Originally posted by fuz:
nice to meet you chris down the lanes :D

worked on my tan more than the thorn in my side the dreaded 13's

pleased with my 1 mile 1/4 time though smile.gif hi Fuz! it was you! nice one, your car certainly went well, nice thrash! shame we werent both coming the other way to elvington on the 12 miles of lanes, we have had some thrashes down there going to events, bit more road to go at!
my gt4 runs 13.3s or so with 320bhp/295ft/lb and yours was doing similar times from what is saw today , or did you get out of the 13s at the end ?
rgds
chris

Old Trout
16th May 2004, 21:07
Originally posted by Andy.F:
Race to the 10's now :D Andy - you know I will be there right behind you....well about a year and a half as usual!!!

Trout :D :D :D :D

PS Well done to Calder - they clearly have got it working.

Andy.F
16th May 2004, 21:12
Still on 550's :eek: ?

Old Trout
16th May 2004, 21:24
PS Added to ask - why are the Calder terminals so low?

I know that my car is now consitently running 123-126 terminals at much slower times?

Old Trout
16th May 2004, 21:27
PPS Added to ask...

Still on 550's :eek: ? What? :confused:

You?
Me?
Calder?
Someone else ;)

:D :D

Andy.F
16th May 2004, 21:30
Calder claim to be on 550's.

I also thought it was a quick ET for the terminal speed. Maybe the pod had been traction sprayed ? It was a warm enough day for their surface to work I guess ??

Paul@Zen
16th May 2004, 22:06
Yes more traction please!

Lateral Performance Ltd
16th May 2004, 22:53
Calder claim to be on 550's.
Andy,

but they are claiming 600bhp plus NOS!!!

600bhp on 550s is pretty good!!

Oooops posted on wrong user id!!! Sorry Mark!

johnfelstead
16th May 2004, 23:24
David, whats the boost pipe problem you have? Have you fixed it properly or know how to?

Well done on some cracking results. smile.gif

Old Trout
17th May 2004, 06:38
John,

we managed to fix it in the end - with an in situ mod to the pipe!!

We then managed ten runs, including the final, without the pipe blowing off.

Sadly they had stopped the top speed runs by this point, grrrr!

Trout :D :D

David_Wallis
17th May 2004, 09:00
yeah we fixed it.. LOL... not permanently though..

David

CraigH2
17th May 2004, 09:22
I had time to go buy a burger and coke whilst he changed from 2nd to 3rd LOL nothing changes :D

Calder claim to be on 550'sThey don't say how many though, do they?

Adamantium
17th May 2004, 09:40
Originally posted by MorayMackenzie:

Adam,

Would you consider swapping your place in the engine build queue with someone who has an interest in running at scoobyshootout? Maybe that could allow another car to participate. smile.gif

Moray are you joking? and I am not kidding when I ask this as I am not sure if you are serious or not?

sadly its too late anyway as mine is already built apart from ancillaries.

Not sure if I should smile.gif or :( .

sorry I couldnt help out those who are waiting.

[ 17. May 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Adam M ]

Simon_
17th May 2004, 11:14
Just have to run your car at TOTB Adam :D

Stick your name down for the shoot out and run it with the 2litre for practice Adam!

Simon

chiark
17th May 2004, 12:12
Well done David (and Steven, and David, and Mark, and all the others involved) - great results.

See you at SSO, or before. sorry I couldn't make this weekend.

RSVR Racer
17th May 2004, 13:40
I reckon if David hadnt spent the best part of 1.5 seconds on the limiter between 2nd & 3rd we see under 11 seconds from that car. Somebody buy him a BIG F***ing Bright Orange shift light that comes on before the limiter because he obviously cant see the rev counter through his helmet. :D

Good day but bloody hot!

Conrad

Adamantium
17th May 2004, 14:04
do we have the datalogs showing the actual time between gear changes?

Simon_
17th May 2004, 14:12
Originally posted by Conrad:
I reckon if David hadnt spent the best part of 1.5 seconds on the limiter between 2nd & 3rd we see under 11 seconds from that car. Somebody buy him a BIG F***ing Bright Orange shift light that comes on before the limiter because he obviously cant see the rev counter through his helmet. :D

Good day but bloody hot!

Conrad PMSL..

Big Orange spinning light off my neighbours AA van do??

smile.gif

Simon

David_Wallis
17th May 2004, 14:16
it wasnt an issue for checking logs adam..

You cant simply apply the reduction in gear change times to the qtr time, as toward the end of the day, the oil either thinned up, the syncros bedded in, or david changed technique. as he was doing much much better..

EGT sensor for ecu needs fixing too.. due to not wanting to go back in..

Adam,

Yes he did check the datalogs as pat was doing this after most runs

Old Trout
17th May 2004, 15:13
Conrad,

you should have introduced yourself, I didn't realise you were you!!

Anyway, was not at limiter at the end of second you cheeky sod, that was first, balancing the wheelspin so second didn't bog. Got me decent 60ft times tho...

...I do admit to hitting the limiter a couple of times in second, but not most of my runs. During the day, I could not get the change from 2nd to 3rd it just kept locking out. Very, very, very frustrating. :(

But sorted it a bit now - need to speed up the change and maintain more boost. Last five runs were very consistent so I can work on improving specifics to get the run times down.

With decent shifts I know that I can compete with the Calder time - although that leads to two questions - one will I ever manage to improve my shifts!! - and two, Calder claim that their car was sick and not running NOS yet so they have a lot more to come.

I suspect with a synchro box that mid to low 11s is the limit for my car. With a dog/auto box then I am sure 10s are possible.

David_Wallis
17th May 2004, 15:37
when we fitting the sequential box then?

Old Trout
17th May 2004, 17:19
:D :D :D :D :D

PS Steven thanks for the clips - you were just pulling onto the 1079 as I was turning into Long Lane!!

PPS Specially for you I have been practicing the near clutchless gearshift on the Pork (well it does have a strong box!)

Steven
17th May 2004, 18:28
David, i saw you in my rear view mirror, just as i set off down the 1079. No probs re clips :D

So now you are perfecting it on the pork, you should get better in the scoob ;) :D tongue.gif

Sorry if i seemed in a mood yesterday towards the end, it was just frustrating watching you struggle to get 2nd to 3rd right. God knows how frustrating it was for you.

Bloody charming that you became consistent after i had gone home :rolleyes: , i watch you all day, get sunburnt and not once do you hook up a perfect run :D , which i know you are cable of.

Glad you enjoyed your day, it made the frantics of the weekend worth while.

Roll on 2 weeks, in fact by this time in 2 weeks, we will have a new Shoot Out champion.

Who will it be? Who knows?

Good look to all.

Paul@Zen
17th May 2004, 19:34
Does anyone really have a chance of beating Trout?

Surely not!?

(no the above is not sarcasm. I honestly don't think there will be an impreza at the shootout , unless CRD turn up, that can beat Trout if all perform to their best potential. There is still room to be beaten though, but it won't be through lack of performance)

Paul

[ 18. May 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Pavlo ]

Zoidberg
17th May 2004, 19:38
it wont be me! had to pull out, roll on totb :D

RSVR Racer
17th May 2004, 19:50
Originally posted by Pavlo:

Surely not!?

Paul Sarcasm Paul? ;) :D

David, would of introduced myself but I'm the quiet type? Dont like to be in the public eye and all that ;)

Typical, your runs got better after me and the family dissapeared :D

Steven
17th May 2004, 19:59
Trout is beatable.

Hopefully my car will be competing against Trout at the shootout, as opposed to being a resource for jubilee clips ;)

I am not saying i will beat him, just that he can be beaten IMO. However, whoever does it will have to be consistantly good, and at the moment theres only one car this year run quicker than him, and thats the CRD impreza.

However, i am still waiting for my Eastgate Motorsport Pit Crew t shirt ;)

Old Trout
17th May 2004, 20:21
Well there always is Andy Eff ;) tongue.gif

Not sure if he is coming to ShootOut but is definately coming to TOTB III (if the selectors let him in of course)

Lateral Performance Ltd
17th May 2004, 20:22
Paul,

Surely not!?

Paul I think Conrad, and Steven have already answered !

After this comment,

Children,

When we see some of these specs make their way onto cars we can compare lengths...

In the meantime, my car is still the fastest proven Scooby in the UK, and is now back at the same spec used to get those times.

Paul And your results at the weekend, I'd have thought you'd appreciate there's more to having a quick car, and getting quick times :rolleyes:

Based on the current list, and knowing what some people are doing/planning for TOTB, I would put Trout around 4th, or 5th.

Mark.

fuz
17th May 2004, 20:26
and sun tan oil ;)

Old Trout
17th May 2004, 20:32
Videos coming soon.

Pavlo,

not sure what you mean by your comment - but I was beaten yesterday in the overall Final by Nigel in the porky Skyline!

Good fun tho :D :D

Steven
17th May 2004, 20:39
http://www.stevend.org/uploads/start.mpg

David_Wallis
17th May 2004, 20:48
I dont reckon i'll do well at all now, having watched david struggle all day, and he's had plenty of practice.

David

Simon_
17th May 2004, 20:57
Nice video.. lol at Steven in the back ground!

Simon :D

David_Wallis
17th May 2004, 21:03
Big thanks to fuz also for the loan of RS 1000v insulated pliers :D

David

fuz
17th May 2004, 21:04
trout didn't even wince :eek:

Steven
17th May 2004, 21:07
the one tool i didnt have in my car, a decent set of pliers :D

Davids 11.90 run

http://www.stevend.org/uploads/1190.mpg

Steven
17th May 2004, 21:10
TBH Fuz, he had no choice.

I thought it was funny when it blew off for the last time, and we were running out of time for the finals.

Trout said something along the lines of " lets leave it lads, i am fed up of it coming off, its warm, and i am tired, its not worth running again"

To a chorus of replies along the line of "yes you will run again"

:D :D

Old Trout
17th May 2004, 21:17
....some of the comments were Parental Advisory hence being limited to two clips out of twenty runs!!!

David_Wallis
17th May 2004, 21:17
Lol at steven...

Ive just uploaded them too.. asked for better ones on cd smile.gif

David_Wallis
17th May 2004, 21:21
sorry bout that smile.gif

johnfelstead
17th May 2004, 22:15
Lets make sure we keep this friendly please. smile.gif

Anyway, you are all toast at scoobyshootout when i turn up in my 200SX, you wont see me for errmm, tyre smoke. ;) :D

edit: where did page 3 come from? LOL

johnfelstead
17th May 2004, 22:20
great videos. I see what you mean about a shift light being required! LOL Looks fabulous David!! smile.gif

Old Trout
17th May 2004, 22:38
Practice, I must practice my gearshifts, I must practice my gearshifts.

Paul@Zen
17th May 2004, 23:07
Mark,

Without wishing to start an argument, I don't think 12.2 is bad at all for my first ever drag event. I started the day with only 1 bar of boost for reasons best known to the things that collectively formed the boost control on the car.

With boost up to 1.3 bar I managed 12.6 or something, then 12.3 with as much boost as I could muster, which I think was about 1.65 bar as I didn't look at the gauge on the runs.

The 12.3 run was sat on the limiter in 1st off the line, which I held too long into 2nd, but otherwise the run was okay. And I was happy to get down to sensible times on only my 4th ever drag run.

Perhaps I was being a little premature with my spec statement, I can only assume the headers are somewhere in UPS land, and my Ledas are at Leda being rebuilt still. I think 18s with a million PSI in them probably didn't help with the traction either.

Paul

[ 18. May 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Pavlo ]

Andy.F
18th May 2004, 04:10
Based on the current list, and knowing what some people are doing/planning for TOTB, I would put Trout around 4th, or 5th.

Mark. [/QB]PMSL....and if it's anything like last years impressive 'pre event' list which, IIRC, my tame old car was lucky to get a place on :D :D

Lateral Performance Ltd
18th May 2004, 08:05
Paul,

I really find some attitudes very strange. The "supporters", as you call them, are friends of Trouts, most of whom have put a lot of time, and effort into getting his car running for Elvington on Sunday.

They are excited about what the car can do, and comment on it's potential, and how much quicker it could be, if a certain person gets his act together :D

I'm not certain why, but it would appear that this is unacceptable to some.

If you, or anyone else are under the impression that I have anything to do with what people post, you are greatly mistaken.

I have never seen this attitude taken towards other people, who either post, or have posted their results, and expectations.

What makes me laugh, is that when any results were "pending", there's a barage of cr*p, and grief. Now there are some tangible results, and people post about them, more grief !!!

I was trying making a very simple point, with regards to your times, and based on your comments. Just because someone has a quick car, doesn't mean they will get quick times.

Personally, I think people underestimate how hard it is to get everything right, to get a good time. Andy is blatantly very good at 1/4 miling, others need a lot more practice, no one more so than ME.......

Mark.

Zoidberg
18th May 2004, 08:41
any chance of getting a hi-res copy of the movies to download?

David_Wallis
18th May 2004, 08:45
christian, Im working on it smile.gif

Trying to get something from david, but probably wont be for a week or so.. unless steven see's him.

David

Paul@Zen
18th May 2004, 11:08
some editing to remove confusion over trout's car...

13 days and counting.

Paul

Steven
18th May 2004, 11:22
Failing a shift light, we have another alternative, "The Eastagte Motorsport Shift Indicator" (TM) ;) .

Basically, either i or wallis sit in the car and tap him on the head when he should be changing gear.

Trout, when mine is running properly, i will take you out in it, and show you how to change gear quickly tongue.gif . Hell, i need some practice, i now have another gear change to do :D

Simon_
18th May 2004, 11:24
..and perhaps once Stevens car is running properly you could do a run in each others car?

Simon

RSVR Racer
18th May 2004, 12:29
I videod Davids 2nd to 3rd gear shift but unfortunately the tape ran out during the process tongue.gif

CraigH2
18th May 2004, 12:47
With all this talk of fastest XXXX, have you lot already prepared your excuses for TOTB or you just gonna ad lib?

Statement is based on history and I look forward to being shut up ;)

Chuckster
18th May 2004, 12:58
First guy to claim his TOTBIII top speed run was aborted due to *any* 'hose' coming off has to give 50 to Cancer relief. ;)
C

johnfelstead
18th May 2004, 13:04
LOL :D

Andy.F
18th May 2004, 14:36
Originally posted by CraigH2:
With all this talk of fastest XXXX, have you lot already prepared your excuses for TOTB or you just gonna ad lib?

Statement is based on history and I look forward to being shut up ;) PMSL... They can just use last years ones ;) :D What does your plastic car do the 1/4m in Craig ?

Andy

Chris B
18th May 2004, 17:39
CRD plan on running @ Scooby shootout providing they sort the head gasket problem in time.

Old Trout
18th May 2004, 18:37
Originally posted by wBanker:
First guy to claim his TOTBIII top speed run was aborted due to *any* 'hose' coming off has to give 50 to Cancer relief. ;)
C Chuck,

I would be happy to do so...

...and I am sure that your comment and Johns response are made in good spirit and tongue in cheek...I am sure you would not be making them if you had seen the effort these guys who are posting on behalf of my car, had put in to get it running at all.

There were literally blood, sweat and tears from a number of them over the weekend just to get me running at all.

So, it is a shame that all was not perfect, and the runs were not lost for the want of trying, and I hope they take your comments in the spirit they are intended.

But please feel free to take the piss at their expense...I have no excuses, I wish I had done better for them, but I did the best I could.

Trout

Old Trout
18th May 2004, 18:41

Without wishing to start an argument, I don't think 12.2 is bad at all for my first ever drag event. Paul,

I don't think anyone thinks that 12.2 is too shabby at all. It is in the context of your other comments about having the fastest car in the UK. Its about, perhaps tongue in cheek, challenging others as to whether their cars might be fast enough.

One thing I have discovered is that it takes a lot more practice than it looks. And if anyone thinks they can do better in my car on gear changes then feel free to build one and show us how it is done ;)

chrome@home
18th May 2004, 19:01
Trout- congratulations on your runs.. smile.gif
That time is not too shabby at all :D :D
bet its awesome on the road..

Any pics of the car from the weekend David? Or was the engine bay obscured by a certain Mr Darley/Wallis? :D

Looking forward to seeing it @ SSo-
and all you other 22b'ers who are signed up :D )

CraigH2
18th May 2004, 19:39
Andy,

When it was std 1.3, 150ish hp (dunno what the actual was), cat, no mucking about with suspension etc I did a 12.5 @ 110 at the Pod.

New one is a little heavier, will have a slower gearchange but 100-130hp and torque more.

So you tell me - high 11s maybe? smile.gif

Steven
18th May 2004, 20:27
There were literally blood, sweat and tears from a number of them over the weekend just to get me running at allMostly from me :D . First time a spanner drops from top of engine onto my head underneath the car, is funny whilst painfull. It bloody hurt the 5th time when the 1/2inch ratchet fell on my forehead. Wallis ya git tongue.gif

Lost count how many times you lot "dropped" things ;) only to hear you all rolling around with laughter :D

TOTB Team Subaru
18th May 2004, 20:54
PMSL@Steven :D :D

Are you in any way suggesting that we did it on purpose? ;)

CM-TOTB
18th May 2004, 21:52
i now have the full results from sunday, if anyone can/wants to host them,its only a smallish word file.
i think trev has already got them up on the straightliners website as well.
rgds
chris

David_Wallis
18th May 2004, 22:09
Steven it was hillarious.. from where I was stood.. but you know it wasnt deliberate.

David

David_Wallis
18th May 2004, 22:10
CM, I can host..

David

Simon_
19th May 2004, 07:39
lol at the idea of Steven under the car and you guys going "no left a bit.. yep drop it now" PMSL..

Simon

Old Trout
19th May 2004, 09:43
Just out of interest I have some times from Elvington from the left and right lanes. This was after I had started to get a little more consistency...

...in terms of accuracy, the speedo was showing around 125mph (and it has been GPS tested at 100mph and reads 1mph under at that speed.)

Interesting video clips were also left lane as well and are consistent with these numbers.

Left lane

11.91@115
11.83@115
11.90@114 (video clip)

Right lane

11.89@123
11.93@123
11.95@123

And at Melbourne I got 11.76@125mph which was consitent with speedo reading!

Andy.F
19th May 2004, 11:27
And at Melbourne I got 11.76@125mph which was consitent with speedo reading!I seem to recall my 11.73@126 and 11.66@127mph being questioned for having an unrealistically high terminal speed.....doesn't seem so far away now does it !

Interesting David that your times are in line with your Prosport 'proven' bhp ;)

Andy

PS David will get faster once he notices the brick I put under his throttle pedal at Prosport :D

Lateral Performance Ltd
19th May 2004, 11:49
Andy,

I seem to recall my 11.73@126C23 Andy Forrest Impreza RA

11.7 108
12.15 106
11.71 107
11.72 125
12.01 112
11.94 126

You playing "pick & mix" ;)

You actually had a quicker time than you recall. 20mph difference in ET's, something tells me the timing gear still needs sorting !!!

Mark.

Andy.F
19th May 2004, 12:01
I was lifting early so not to embarrass anyone ;) :D

It does raise the question again regards the timing gear though !

Harvey told be (before Trout was there) that I should not pay any attention to Melbourne terminals as they normally read high !

Now we have Calders at the pod, an internationally accredited track, showing a terminal which looks low for the ET ?

What figures do we believe ? AP22 ? ;)

Andy

Simon_
19th May 2004, 12:04
PMSL @ AP22 comment..

Simon

Andy.F
19th May 2004, 12:18
Hey Simon, I know it was meant as a joke but I tuned my car based on AP22 results so they are really quite good !!
Imagine if I had tuned my car relying on the terminal speeds at Elvington for feedback :eek:

Andy

Simon_
19th May 2004, 12:20
lol..

Simon

David_Wallis
19th May 2004, 12:46
thing is, how can we prove they are right?

How do the setup at elvington..

put the car on the staging lights? reset the trip and drive for 1/4 of a mile then throw the timing gear out?

Simon_
19th May 2004, 12:55
Originally posted by David_Wallis:
thing is, how can we prove they are right?

How do the setup at elvington..

put the car on the staging lights? reset the trip and drive for 1/4 of a mile then throw the timing gear out? judging by some of the timing differences perhaps it involves lots of beer and a blind fold?

lol

there must be measures markings on the run way for 1/4mile surely and 60feet too etc..

Surely the discrepancy must be down to calibration of the timing gear and it's set up.

Simon

Adamantium
19th May 2004, 12:57
I still don't get something about all this.

Andy has said that the TV is pretty much determined by the bhp of the car and the ET is affected by the drivers skill at the quarter among other things.

If that is the case then why are trout's and andy's terminals the same or similar.

since trout's car has that much more power and torque than andy's had, why isnt his terminal velocity higher?

David_Wallis
19th May 2004, 14:01
wheelspin?

David

David_Wallis
19th May 2004, 14:01
ps more power doesnt = faster

Adamantium
19th May 2004, 14:08
it normally does = higher tvs given that the cars are almost identical in terms of drivetrain. The only difference being RA lightweight versus normal weight sti 5.

David_Wallis
19th May 2004, 14:32
I meant in general terms.. but I agree to a point with you.

Lateral Performance Ltd
19th May 2004, 15:18
Firstly, if this is right,

perhaps it involves lots of beer and a blind fold?We may as well give up now...........

Wallis will walk it :D

Mark.

Simon_
19th May 2004, 15:20
Firstly, if this is right,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />perhaps it involves lots of beer and a blind fold?We may as well give up now...........

Wallis will walk it :D

Mark. </font>[/QUOTE]PMSL..

Andy.F
19th May 2004, 17:10
Originally posted by Adam M:
I still don't get something about all this.

Andy has said that the TV is pretty much determined by the bhp of the car and the ET is affected by the drivers skill at the quarter among other things.

If that is the case then why are trout's and andy's terminals the same or similar.

since trout's car has that much more power and torque than andy's had, why isnt his terminal velocity higher? Adam

I think it's fair to say I don't know how much power my car had on the day, as the day progressed I was adjusting boost, advancing timing and leaning it out a little after each run :eek:
The 175mph top speed run even involved a 'lifting moment' just to clear a big red on the knocklink!
You could say it was 'on the edge' :D
Interestingly my best ET was in the morning but my TV increased gradually as it was tweeked throughout the day, regardless of increasing ambient.

Andy

Old Trout
19th May 2004, 20:19
I think the key difference is the power to weight ratio.

To be honest - when I started to build my final spec I always suspected that the extra weight I carried would hold me back from 'easily' beating Andys best times.

IIRC the question regarding TV was more around the quoted power as there seems to be a stronger relationship to power on tv, and ET to weight.

At the weekend the fueling was rich as we are still adjusting inlet temp comp, and the ignition was pulling at least 4deg, so a guestimate power output would be around 480bhp ATF.

Problem is a cooler day would give more power, but less traction unless we buy tyre warmers!

Finally - the higher tvs were consistent with the speedo readings at both Melbourne and Elvington....but I would say that would not I!

CM-TOTB
19th May 2004, 20:37
you can get variations on terminals due to the 60ft time and wheelspin, at any venue. all venues can of course throw up probs, happens at them all from time to time. i have a copy of a timing slip from a mate from pod at 13s 170mph in a fwd rover on a rwyb day.

normally straightliners run a gps in the van and run thro both lanes to prove the terminal before the event, which is on a seperate clock to the timing, and is measured as an average speed for the last 32ft upto the finish line, same as at pod and other drag venues.
it is not simply the speed you cross the actual finish line at, which people dont always realise.
this is why you cannot always rely on what people say they hit at the line, they may have picked up a fair bit of terminal speed in the last few yards, however your average over the last section 32ft may have been slower.

come and have a look at 31st may before it starts at how its timed/set up if you like
rgds
chris

Chuckster
21st May 2004, 07:33
David and team northern...
I absolutely was joking with my throw away comment there. It was not aimed at your car or that weekends event. It is just the one thing that crops up time and time again whenever big power turbo'd cars run...be it RR day or a strip event....some hose always blows off.
Personally I've found running less than 1 bar boost on a standard STI engine pretty much guarantee's you don't get this problem.
Also, avoiding tuning your car, or entering into discussions regarding tuning, can help one avoid all these misunderstandings that can lead to ill feelings.
I;m dissapointed that you for one second imagined I really was having a pop at you or anyone involved. It's my fault for being soo much less sociable this past year..sadly too much breeding has severly limited my free time, and hence my attendance of scoob meets.
Of course the fact your Porker is considerably prettier than mine is also a factor..envy is a nasty thing LOL
Chuckles, chuckling no more.

Adamantium
21st May 2004, 07:48
chuck, I don't think you needed to explain did you, surely everyone knew you were joking?

I can vouch for chuck in saying that whatever he said it was bound to be a joke, unless we were talking about mortgages or the like.

CraigH2
21st May 2004, 08:36
It's amazing how "you" (one, people etc) seem to get so defensive or sensitive when tuning to a relatively high degree. I can appreciate it to a degree due to costs involved, bitchy comments (especially the "knockers") etc but at the end of the day, if you're happy doing what you're doing, then fvck 'em.

Or do what Chuck does, spend your time trying to repopulate the world ;)

Chuckster
21st May 2004, 08:45
"at the end of the day, if you're happy doing what you're doing, then fvck 'em.

Or do what Chuck does, spend your time trying to repopulate the world "

I like to think I'm happy doing whom I'm doing..then both your statements are basically the same Craig.
C

Steven
21st May 2004, 08:54
LOL

CraigH2
24th May 2004, 09:26
You should change your user name to Swiss Tony ;)