Anyone done this on their car?

Easy, difficult?

Best left to an expert?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

David :D

Simon_
13th March 2004, 09:29
This is some discussion about this in DW's thread like two threads down here (http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000214)

smile.gif :D lol

Simon smile.gif

Old Trout
13th March 2004, 10:20
I'll get my coat.......

David_Wallis
16th April 2004, 10:58
Right..

Bringing this up to the top as the thread is more relevant than my old one..

Started removing abs.. as Engine is out at the moment to facilitate replacing / redesigning power steering hoses.. ..

Anyway.. (94uk)

UK Cars & possibly jap cars have a master cylinder with two outputs on it (two are used to keep a diagonal split, ie if a circuit fails you dont just have the left hand side brakes working!)

This then feeds the abs pump / motor assembly thing on the right hand chassis leg / inner wing..

this then feeds direct to the two front brakes and the rears are fed from the pump / motor assy via what has been described as a brake bias valve located on the righthand strut, next to master cylinder, on removing the lid of this there is a bolt and a spring, so adjustment may be possible.

I then unbolted all the pump etc and removed all pipes that I could (all except the fronts..
(10mm spanner)

I then unbolted the master cylinder from the front of the servo unit and pulled it forwards (2x 12mm) I have sourced a Jap WRX master cylinder from http://www.hdcsubaru.com this has four outlets on it it.. two of which will go to the fronts.. and two to the bias valve.

I need to swap my reservoir onto the wrx one as it looks fooked.. and mine is tidy smile.gif

Just need to know what pipe goes where on a wrx.

Anybody check for me?

Pics at weekend..

David

T

Adamantium
17th April 2004, 07:45
why remove it?

is it in the way?

does it save much weight?

David_Wallis
17th April 2004, 18:21
1 its crap..
2 its crap
3 its crap
4 its crap
5 its heavy
6 I dont like it becuase its crap
7 I think it effects my stopping performance.

David

did i mention that its crap?

David_Wallis
17th April 2004, 18:22
1 its crap..
2 its crap
3 its crap
4 its crap
5 its heavy
6 I dont like it becuase its crap
7 I think it effects my stopping performance.

David

did i mention that its crap?

Simon_
18th April 2004, 08:39
I have to agree with David, it is the worse ABS I have ever driven.. it has improved with larger brakes now.. ie. I can stop wihtout locking the wheels and this stops the damn ABS cut in.
lol.

I have to say though it has saved me once on the motorway at about 4am when I had no idea it was icy.. brake lights up ahead and touched the brakes and car snaked with ABS stopping the car locking and spinning etc.. brake lights up ahead turned out to be three cars getting personal all three were old non-abs cars..

Running with a switch at the moment.

Simon

Richard.D
18th April 2004, 10:22
As mentioned before, me no understand. With GT3 brakes up front, and stock rears with ds2500 pads, I have no issues with my ABS except that once it has activiated it seems to take forever to deactivate.

Given I very rarely get to activate it (normally off track excursions :D ), my only reason for removing would be weight...or possibly the free space it would make available.

Richard

Cord
18th April 2004, 11:37
ABS on the early cars (Like David's) is DREADFUL. Not sure when it changed, or what changed , but on 99 and newer it is considerably better.

Simon_
18th April 2004, 12:25
Mine is a 96 and crap..lol

David_Wallis
18th April 2004, 15:42
mine WAS pathetic.. it is a 94 car.

David

Slooby
18th April 2004, 19:44
Mine (MY98) was rubbish until the Brembos (black caliper Scoobysport style kit) went on now it behaves quite well, can't remember the last time it kicked in infact!

Wally
18th April 2004, 20:11
It MAY BE the worst ABS ever but it still keeps you rtyres round after an emergency stop. Nobody has the skill to perform an emergency stop (litlle boy that runs after his football or so) lock the wheels and then turn away from the danger...

I keep mine, just to be sure...

That 2 seconds gain on track doesn't count when there is the possibility to lock the wheels and hit somebody...

Just my 2pence...

Wally

David_Wallis
18th April 2004, 21:01
Well serves the ****er right for not looking.. besides I wont run him over as he wont fit under the splitter.. ;)

Nobody has the skill to perform an emergency stop (litlle boy that runs after his football or so) lock the wheels and then turn away from the danger...
WRONG. I think you are missing the point here.. ABS releases the brakes if the wheels lock up in order to help you steer around the 'item'

My problem is that the ABS is stopping me from using my brakes to their full efectiveness.

My last car Pug 106, Spax PSX -60mm & Yokohama A510 195x45x15's would seriously outbreak the scoob.

I have coilovers on the scoob, full poly bushes, arbs, stutbraces, ap 4pots (330mm) wider tyres etc.. and I think the pug. would have stopped meteres behind the scoob.

This mod isnt for gaining 2 seconds on track, its for my piece of mind, I believe that on a bumpy road, I will be able to stop quicker.

ps If you dont have abs, you do have the option of cadence braking.

David

stevieturbo
18th April 2004, 22:42
Personally, Id keep the ABS and add an 'off' switch.
Doesnt pulling the fuse disable the abs ?? It should be very very easy to turn it off, yet have the option for those rainy days..

I wouldnt consider removing it completely. Besides, there is no legal way it would pass MOT here without it, as the car was originally fitted with it.

David_Wallis
19th April 2004, 09:55
There is a way it will pass the mot..

Car undergoes a break test.. on the road of all places due to awd.

It doesnt test specifics on the ABS.. AFAIK.

Pulling the fuse makes the car unstable / unsafe as Ive mentioned before.

David

MorayMackenzie
19th April 2004, 14:53
David,

Where did you mention that pulling the fuse makes the car unstable?

How does this make the car unstable?

Moray

David_Wallis
19th April 2004, 15:23
my other thread.. 'subarus excuse of abs'

MorayMackenzie
19th April 2004, 15:50
Okey dokey... I'll have a look there then. smile.gif

Richard.D
19th April 2004, 16:26
Is the hardware so different between MY's? Maybe try a phase 2 set-up?

Richard

David_Wallis
19th April 2004, 16:38
I like the idea of less weight now.

stevieturbo
19th April 2004, 16:51
The only MOT requirement of an ABS equipped car, is that the abs check light functions properly.

Pointless check really.

Wally
19th April 2004, 19:43
The story I mentioned was about a car without ABS (and locking up, and run over tha boy...)

I have a MY00, 330's in front and a switch to deactivate the ABS.

What I have tried is removing the rear bias valve (on the suspension strut...) to get the balance back with the 330's.

First I was afraid of this because there was the possibility to lock up the rears but none of this is true !!! My car is so much stable now, none of the annoying diving when braking and trail braking is more fun in the corners now.
Because of the increase in rear brake power, the balance is so much better, even when braking from 100 mph in the wet, the car stays planted.

And I still have the ABS activated, without triggering as much as before... smile.gif

Wally

David_Wallis
19th April 2004, 22:08
interesting smile.gif

Ive just piped the bastard up tonight though..

I wonder if the bolt allows adjustment though.

David

Simon_
20th April 2004, 08:30
Disagree with the emergency stop..

Only time I feel anyone with some braking skill would gain from having ABS would be in the ice.

Brake to the point just before lock, lift off pedal, steer around the boy, back on the brakes.

Not all cars have ABS..

MOT, remove the ABS bulb..

Interesting about the bias valve.

The unstableness when ABS is switched off is really weird and difficult to explain.

Simon

Wally
20th April 2004, 18:35
I have another strange one : When I brake and trigger the ABS, the pulsation shift from left to right, as if the ABS quickly triggers right, then left, then right and so on (all in a matter of seconds of course), but my car is stable and stops in a right line...

Wally

David_Wallis
20th April 2004, 23:46
Hmm.. Well mine is now removed and re-piped.

David

Adamantium
21st April 2004, 09:38
what are the chances of retro fitting abs?

as personally i would rather have it.

I have tended to stab the brakes in panick, I think the anti lift kuit may actually reduce the dangerous effect this has on my stopping ability.

Trouble is I know I shouldnt do it, but I always do.

Reflex action :(

David_Wallis
21st April 2004, 09:45
It could be fitted easy enough I think..

inductive pickup on each wheel, repipe brakes to ABS module. replace master cylinder. add abs brain. theres also some sensor on the chassis leg.

DOES ABS PRESENT A PROBLEM WITH DCCD?

David

Simon_
21st April 2004, 09:48
I was just thinking the same re the DCCD.. this is the reason why I thought cars either had DCCD or ABS.

So the new DCCD equiped cars have ABS?

Simon