PDA

View Full Version : Centre section cat ?

Justin A
10th August 2000, 12:55
Does anybody know if a MY95 WRX has a cat in the exhaust centre section?
I done a search on this and couldn't find an answer. Some people say that all jap cars must have 2 cats as law, others say some STi's only have 1 cat in the downpipe. What about the WRX?
http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/confused.gif Please help!

Cheers

Justin

Ian Cook
10th August 2000, 13:48
Only the european cars must have 2 cats (except the P1 of course which has a special one), and that is only to pass start up emmissions test, once the car is here, the second one can be removed and the car still passes roadside and MOT emmissions test.

Sorry I dont know if your car had 2, but i doubt it!

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 10 August 2000).]

PeteT
10th August 2000, 15:02
Ian,
can either cat be removed or does a particular one have to stay?

Mark Pitchford
10th August 2000, 15:47
Justin,

I've got a late MY94 WRX and the centre section didn't have a cat in it.

Ian,

My car hasn't got any cats and still manages to pass emissions tests!

Mark

Justin A
10th August 2000, 16:16
Thanks Ian and Mark.
Pete, loads of views on this one, try a search. Some pass without any but there may be different tests for imports/UK, depends on who carries out the test! It'll definatly pass with a cat in the downpipe, it may pass with just the centre section cat if you get it hot enough it seems.
The answer? Don't sell your original downpipe! If it fails emmisions just swap them over, the retest will be free if you do it in less than a week or so!

cheers

Justin

Justin A
10th August 2000, 16:17
Thanks Ian and Mark.
Pete, loads of views on this one, try a search. Some pass without any but there may be different tests for imports/UK, depends on who carries out the test! It'll definatly pass with a cat in the downpipe, it may pass with just the centre section cat if you get it hot enough it seems.
The answer? Don't sell your original downpipe! If it fails emmisions just swap them over, the retest will be free if you do it in less than a week or so!

cheers

Justin

Oooops, didn't mean to tell you twice http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Justin A (edited 11 August 2000).]